Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wow :lol:

Also, my girlfriend's bass (Ib SR500) has halfrounds on it, and doesn't sound as clear as those flats. Is that just the brand of string, or does it have a lot more to do with the guitar itself?

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Also, my girlfriend's bass (Ib SR500) has halfrounds on it, and doesn't sound as clear as those flats. Is that just the brand of string, or does it have a lot more to do with the guitar itself?
Probably both. The Badass bridge makes a big difference in tone. My Modulus J-Bass has one, and that thing is instant Stanley Clarke spank no matter what strings you put on it.

I'd think the specific strings would also have to be a factor, though. I tried out some Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds on my fretless awhile back, and they were thumpy as hell. I prefer a brighter sound on fretless, and it just wasn't happening with those.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow :lol:

The Harris flats are really bright for flats, and exceptionally so when you first put them on; they take a while to mellow out to be like normal flats.

Also, that GB head he's using has a very "hi-fi" voicing that really helps the high end.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Probably both. The Badass bridge makes a big difference in tone. My Modulus J-Bass has one, and that thing is instant Stanley Clarke spank no matter what strings you put on it.

I'd think the specific strings would also have to be a factor, though. I tried out some Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds on my fretless awhile back, and they were thumpy as hell. I prefer a brighter sound on fretless, and it just wasn't happening with those.
The thing with the thomastiks is they last YEARS wihtout sounding any more dull than theyre intended to.

But yes, the badass is a very nice thing

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thomastiks are great for a fretted P-bass, a Rick, or a Hofner for that thumpy funk/Motown/Beatles sound. They're not "mwah" friendly or grindy.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I want to try out a set of those Harris flats on my Jackson Winger bass. Which is just so wrong on so many levels, that I HAVE to do it. :lol:

Lately, I've been getting into '70s soul sounds on bass, and a lot of that was flatwounds. Thomastiks might be great, but they mucho expensive.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Steve Harris was my first (and is still my biggest) idol, and the reason I started playing an instrument. Back in the days when I was still primarily playing bass I made a loose (maple wasn't offered on MIM P basses at the time) replica with a nice stainless steel pickguard and the same SDs he uses.

I've always liked the white era p bass better.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The Harris flats are really bright for flats, and exceptionally so when you first put them on; they take a while to mellow out to be like normal flats.

Also, that GB head he's using has a very "hi-fi" voicing that really helps the high end.
Steve Harris never lets them get to that point (not new string sounding). Changes them every show. :metal:

It took me about 1.5 years and $1-200 of flatwounds to realize that they weren't for me. :lol: Steve Harris makes them work for metal, 99% of players don't.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I want to try out a set of those Harris flats on my Jackson Winger bass. Which is just so wrong on so many levels, that I HAVE to do it. :lol:

Lately, I've been getting into '70s soul sounds on bass, and a lot of that was flatwounds. Thomastiks might be great, but they mucho expensive.
Do It! :yesway: I've used them quite a bit and they are awesome strings. I still love the feel of flatwounds even if I think rounds sound better. They are a pretty heavy gauge for E standard though. So you might want to get the regular rotosound flatwound set (same strings but different guages). Steve Harris likes really low action though, and I know you are the same (on guitar at least) so it might be a good fit.

·
Registered
617 Posts
He actually did a pretty good job playing that Maiden stuff if he wasn't at all familiar with the band, I also like that he wasn't trying to hide his lack of knowledge. It was kinda weird seeing him play the rhythms with only 2 fingers too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He actually did a pretty good job playing that Maiden stuff if he wasn't at all familiar with the band, I also like that he wasn't trying to hide his lack of knowledge. It was kinda weird seeing him play the rhythms with only 2 fingers too.
Ed Friedland has some crazy chops. It's just the tone in the fingers was all wrong :lol:

I kinda want to go get my P-Bass from Vermont again. That thing sounds awesome.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even though it ACTUALLY means something for bassists, i STILL hate that phrase :lol:
How else are you gonna say it? Haha. He was playing the notes at the right time and speed, but he sounded NOTHING like Steve Harris. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.