Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in Lifestyles since I think the choice is often dictated by lifestyle.

I used to have long hair (only made it to shoulder-length before giving it the axe). I actually grew it out while working my current job over about 15-18 months, and didn't get too much shit about it since I work in a fairly casual office setting. I decided I didn't look my best with it (it's very fine and straight, so it gets limp easily).

I actually got upset at myself for feeling like a girl, toying with my hair every time I passed a mirror. It also simply doesn't give the best first impression, and when you're a young professional that's a strike against you that you don't need.

Sometimes, though, I wish I was still the guy in the photos.

Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I think it's dicktated by something else.

:ghey2:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
I started growing my hair at 16ish. It got lower than my shoulders by an inch or two. Then in August of '09 (22 years old), my parents and my sister decided to come visit me and my brother in Ontario, so I decided to shave my head before they came.

My mother was ecstatic.

My sister, was not. :lol:

I started growing it again in November I think, and it's currently in the horrible, awkward stage. (It also needs a clean up. Gonna get that done this week)

Luckily, I also work in a fairly lax work environment. Plus I'm in school, so i'll wait until I get closer to a career role before I worry about it. However, I'm only planning on growing it to a little less than shoulder length, and style it like a pompous douche bag. So it won't be as bad.

·
18,790 Posts
I like my long hair, but I'm considering cutting it shorter (not super short, but shorter, it's down to my lower back right now) or doing something to it. I feel like I need a change, and since I'm no longer in a metal band, and won't be again any time soon, I no longer get any benefit from people thinking I look like Dimebag :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Cut it all off three months ago. Kind of miss it a little, but I don't miss the maintenance.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I've actually had long hair... shit, 3 or 4 times in my life. I had it down to my ass a few years back.

'Bout the middle of my back, now. Short hair never seems to stick with me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My hair is just about reaching over my collar, I'd really like to have properly long hair at least once in my life but the trouble is I'm studying medicine and looking "unusual" is frowned upon.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My hair is just about reaching over my collar, I'd really like to have properly long hair at least once in my life but the trouble is I'm studying medicine and looking "unusual" is frowned upon.
See, my goal was "don't touch it until it all fits in a ponytail." I managed to get it to that point, which was much better in terms of maintenance than constantly tucking it behind my ears and simultaneously looked more pro, but somehow I just didn't sport the ponytail well. I'm pretty sure I'll never get a chance to grow it out like that again, I had my fun and now it's srs bsns...

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I've recently decided to grow mine back out, so I'm looking forward to a year or so of the awkward phase :lol: Here's what I used to look like:

That was also at my most recent low weight of 196, getting close to that now.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I used to have hair down a little past my shoulders, in high school. Shocking, I know. :lol:

It was a lot of fun and occasionally I DO miss it, and am tempted to grow it out a la Andy Timmons again, but that's not the kind of look that really goes over well in the business world (or, rather, it's the awkward intermediary phase - long hair, if it's clean, well kept, and pulled back, can be professional, I think).

I also had a LOT of girls tell me, right after I cut it, that I'd have gotten laid a lot more in high school had I had shorter hair, so that's a factor to consider, as well. :lol:

·
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
1,306 Posts
I seriously regretted the last haircut I got... But what can you do? I'm growing it out again, just gotta get through the awkwardness. No point in regrets.

It's getting decently long now again. A few months time, it'll be awesome I'm sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Last time I had mine cut I was in the middle of the awkward phase a little behind where I am now, if I hadn't cut it then I would have pretty long hair by now. I felt pretty shit when I realised I still wanted long hair so I don't think I'll cut it again.

I agree that it looks smarter tied back, and it does look a little messy at the back, but in a few months I'll be able to tie it back anyway... besides they let sikh men wear a massive turban, carry a knife and wear a huge beard and muslim women to wear headscarfs and loads of baggy clothing (and sometimes a beard too) so I'll just kick off if they say I can't have long hair.

Luckily because I am in the UK and will be working for the NHS they are generally pretty liberal about these sorts of things. We have only agreed to "look respectable" and there are no hard and fast rules so provided I keep my hair tidy I should be OK.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I had it down to my shoulders in college, then I...joined the military. :( I haven't cut it since I got out last year. It's still kinda awkward looking but its getting there.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I'm with JJ:

(note that this is a year old pic and my hair is even longer now)

4,429 Posts
my hair was to my shoulders but i cut if all off. Started growing it back and cut it all off again (right as it got to that akward stage).

Yeah I'm pretty sure i'm going to keep it short. Most girls say I look better with it short. Therefore I do not miss it all. Plus the lack of maintenance is ideal for college.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Some girls say I would look better with short hair, then others love it. My girlfriend loves my long hair, but a couple girlfriends ago tried to get me to cut it... and she was a metal chick :nuts:

All older women say I would look better with it short, like one of my managers, and my girlfriend's grandmother told her that I was a good looking man, but I should cut my hair, and offered to do it herself :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts