Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/17/mixhalo-incubus-pharrell/

So basically a PA isn't necessary anymore, if everyone's onboard. Practically speaking, there will still be a PA for people not wanting to use headphones, but this makes for a very cool option for concert goers. Perhaps it'll reduce the number of cock whistles filming the entire concert on their smartphones as well! :lol:

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
helluva good idea.

I bet Incubus will make more money from this than their music....

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Don't know, man.

When I go to a concert, it's more than what's in my ears. I can feel the vibration, the energy from the crowd, and hear/feel the pyro.

This seems a bit like donning a Walkman and pair of rollerblades, rolling off into a corner somewhere and jerking off.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know, man.

When I go to a concert, it's more than what's in my ears. I can feel the vibration, the energy from the crowd, and hear/feel the pyro.

This seems a bit like donning a Walkman and pair of rollerblades, rolling off into a corner somewhere and jerking off.
In a way, you're right. But you're still going to feel the bass, the pyro, etc. I think what you're potentially gaining is greater than what you're losing, IMO.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
In a way, you're right. But you're still going to feel the bass, the pyro, etc. I think what you're potentially gaining is greater than what you're losing, IMO.
To be fair, old fucks like me are always resistant to new tech.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be fair, old fucks like me are always resistant to new tech.
There's also significant revenue possibilities (hopefully for the artists) in the way of add-ons, like "user-adjustable" mixes, and perhaps even sanctioned bootleg recordings direct to the phone app.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
i kinda just look at it as getting your own in-ear monitor mix.... basically getting what the artists are getting on stage.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Given how often shows are a horrible mix of cymbal wash and mud, this could be cool.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Don't know, man.

:lol:

:hesright:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
This has to be a joke. :lol: It would never catch on in metal. Literally no one would want it. You want the energy of the concert experience, the audience having in ears is stupid. I would just listen to the record then, save my money.

Not to mention that metal concerts are intrinsically violent and I just can't see a bunch of people forming a gnarly circle pit with headphones.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are a bunch of old farts. :lol: shitty sound at shows is a real problem. It obviously wouldn't work in a pit, but otherwise I think it's a cool idea.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I like the idea, saves your fucking ears probably too. I'm not going to be in a mosh pit anytime soon so fuck that....:lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Better idea: Stop employing lousy sound engineers and playing venues with crap PA systems...

20 years after my touring days ended, you'd think that wouldn't be pie in the sky. But...

·
18,790 Posts
This has to be a joke. :lol: It would never catch on in metal. Literally no one would want it. You want the energy of the concert experience, the audience having in ears is stupid. I would just listen to the record then, save my money.

Not to mention that metal concerts are intrinsically violent and I just can't see a bunch of people forming a gnarly circle pit with headphones.
Oh, obviously it won't catch on, it's completely impractical. I just think it's a neat enough idea that I'd give it a shot since these days I'm the guy standing back with earplugs in anyways :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts