Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so my band "Machines of Living Death" is working on a new album, and to get our feet wet with the recording process we put together a cover of Reign of Blood to flesh out sounds and do some pre-production.

Check it out and let me know what you think:

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
Reminds me of the more techno-y Fear Factory stuff. Everything sounds fake and really processed and I guess if that's what you're going for you've succeeded. I would try for better over all frequency range, and better stereo separation (it sounds a little small and boxy). It's certainly a unique version of this tune. I imagine people will either love it or hate it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reminds me of the more techno-y Fear Factory stuff. Everything sounds fake and really processed and I guess if that's what you're going for you've succeeded. I would try for better over all frequency range, and better stereo separation (it sounds a little small and boxy). It's certainly a unique version of this tune. I imagine people will either love it or hate it.
I hear you on the "better over all frequency range" thing, thanks for the feedback.

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Also, The volume is too Linear, which makes everything sound flat.
The drum part that hits first after the intro have to be louder, and it have get a bit louder with the "whole band kicks in" moment.
I like it, it is worth to spend your time on it!

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Dude, i hate to shit on your work but pretty much everything about this recording needs work. you can barely hear the guitars, the fake drums are way too high, the vocals are distorted beyond belief. it sounds like you would really benefit from going to a real studio to do this. that way you can watch what they do and pick up some pointers from it.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
It's pretty crushed. Too much so even for where you're going with it, and it's *so* midrange-y. The drums are killing everything, too, and not in a good way - if they were loud and pumping the mix, it might be cool, but they're just overall loud.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, thanks so much for the feedback, this is helping us beyond belief. If anyone else has opinions, poisitive or negative, keep'em coming.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Echoing what everyone else has said on the mix, but I dig the concept man. Keep going with it! :metal:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I know sampling is kind of your thing, but the first couple times he says "blood" it's kind of, well, really lame sounding :lol:

I'd really recommend sitting back and arranging/re-EQing your instruments and samples and such so they occupy different parts of the frequency spectrum; you have a lot of stuff concentrated in the midrange, and it feels very "small" as a result. Let the bass eat up the low mids, the kick really take up the bottom instead of being so clicky, and let it all support the guitars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts