Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Mixing djent stuff = takes 5 minutes

6K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  TheKindred 
#1 ·
For fun, I tried mimicing some online tutorials on "metal bass" and "metal guitars" and etc etc. I used Perfect Drums which seems very aimed towards this downtuned crowd.

This mix was finished in like... 5 minutes??? :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/tudio2-akt/stuff
(maybe a grade B- riff but this is what it sounds like to me so...)

Too bad I'm not into either the music or this kind of tone.
But making a decent sounding mix was EFFORTLESS as long as you've bought Perfect Drummer, and downloaded Emissary and some other stuff.

#6 ·
That doesn't really sound djenty at all. And it does sound like it took you about 5 minutes!
You can take the Rocka out of the 80s Heavy Metal, but not the 80s Heavy Metal out of Rocka. I'm certainly no Djent expert, but it sounds nothing like Meshuggah or any of the bands in that vein. The playing would fit a lot of metal core, but the tone is way too thin/upper mid based.

That being said, for five minutes it sounds better than a lot of metal core I've heard. :lol:

#9 ·
If you read post right above yours I have NO IDEA what the difference between "metalcore" and "djent" is

I'm like this guy. I have no fucking idea what I'm doing
Personally, I wish all the sub-genre stuff would just go away. It's metal. But, it sounds like a guy who is excellent at old school heavy metal (you) trying to mimic and/or parody something he doesn't get (#DjentCoreRuleZ!). No harm, no foul, just opinion. :lol:

If you need me, I'll be over in the corner making more dumbed down old school death metal...

#10 ·
I dont even want to understand it, and I don't particularly enjoy it.

I had no intention on making any good riff (its ONE NOTE!) just show how fast I could get a decent mix up just using some online tutorials (which are almost always aimed at "djent/metalcore/whatever" crowd)

But, old school death metal is cool. And I have a solo project doing that stuff too. Very Nihilist/Death/Death Strike influenced FAST stuff mainly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.