Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm starting to develop a website for my new band and thought it would be cool to also do a mobile site, but I am curious as to how I can make the .com url direct mobile phones to the mobile site automatically? I plan to put a link to the full site at the bottom as well. I have never done a mobile site before, so that part is new to me.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How to Redirect Mobile Phones and Handhelds to Your Mobile Website|StepForth Web Marketing Inc.

A redirect to a mobile subdomain based on agent is the quick and easy way. You can do it on a single domain using CSS agent detection, but the downside is that people on more high-end devices will inevitably want one or the other. So if you say "iPhone = Mobile so redirect it", you'll end up with complaints that people can't use the "real" version on their phones.
Gotcha, do you think I could use that but Also have a link to the real site? Maybe a link to the site uncloaked with the .com domain? Or would it still just redirect all mobile browsers to the mobile page? I've seen a few pages that direct to a mobile page but they also have a link at the bottom of the website that takes you to the full site, but i'm guessing its a bit more difficult to do.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
For a band, I'd just do a blanket redirect based on agent, so that every mobile device gets the slim version. :yesway:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I found a few sites specifically for building mobile sites. Know if any of these sites are any good? I signed up for one but had drunk too much and got angry with it when trying to create a page. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
It all depends what you're looking to do really. If you get into CSS, you can just have two separate CSS definitions, one for standard browsers, and one for mobile. It'll make life easier in the long run.

I, on the other hand, am sick to death of coding for the web, which is why I just bought the mobile app and threw it up on a subdomain here. :lol:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Chris said:
It all depends what you're looking to do really. If you get into CSS, you can just have two separate CSS definitions, one for standard browsers, and one for mobile. It'll make life easier in the long run.

I, on the other hand, am sick to death of coding for the web, which is why I just bought the mobile app and threw it up on a subdomain here. :lol:
I will look into that, I've never done CSS before other than myspace design stuff. I know html and know my way around dreamweaver pretty well but that's the extent of my coding knowledge. I don't think I need anything super fancy, and I'm going for low budget for now. When things start picking up and we start getting more hits on our site I will pay someone to design a better site and mobile site. For the mobile site I just want to do something that looks cool and put some mobile site specific ringtones and wallpapers or something like that.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hmm, the full site actually looks really good on my droid. http://steelthesouth.fourfour.com/ I wish I had a lower end smartphone to test it out on.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
dood I would combine all of your css into one stylesheet instead of linking 5 of them.

Your site should display fine in most mobile browsers (not a lot of divs in it)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts