Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mod'd 6505+ lead channel to original 5150 specs...now sounds "mushy" and fizzy?

So I modded my lead channel on my 6505+ back to original 5150 lead channel specs, I originally ran into a hurdle because I blew a preamp tube and was getting no sound, so instead of swapping out the one preamp tube I swapped all of them out (more on that later). So now the amp works, but when it's turned up it sounds like it's all mushy and fizzy, almost like there is too much low end being pushed into the front end of something like that. I know it's not the cab/speakers, as I ran it through my 2x12 combo and those speakers did the same thing. So I'm trying to narrow down what could be the cause of this, and I havent done much troubleshooting but i'm curious if you guys might have a clue why this is happening...

1. preamp tubes, i'm gonna try putting other preamp tubes in and see if that makes a difference

2. power tubes, i'm gonna try putting in different power amp tubes

3. different tube screamer, i'm using a ts7ovchaos right now but i might try something that cuts more low end

4. different guitar, see if it might be the guitar/pickups causing the problem.

5. could be I just messed up the mod somehow, though I doubt it :(

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Did you send it to fja? If not, who did the mod? The original 5150/6505 is a little fizzier though.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I did it myself. I found instructions on the internet as well as comparing the schematics of the two different amps and swapped out a few different capacitors/resistors.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Idk, I've never played a 5150 in person! :lol: but it's not like it just sounds different, it sounds like something is actually wrong. I mean worse case scenario I just mod the thing back the way it originally was, but I've wanted to try this. I hope that something is wrong and that this is not what the amp actually sounds like! :ugh:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
When you say you swapped out a few different capacitors and such, were you following instructions or decided to try different ones? If not, then try different ones and see how it works.

I've owned both and prefer the +/ii myself.

You never know, you may have done it right!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I followed the instructions exactly replacing the parts with the same exact parts that were required I didn't swap out any of my own personal choices in parts. :-\

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Well, maybe try that and see if you can tune it to your liking!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Incase anybody was curious...I mod'd my amp back to 6505+/5150II lead channel specs instead of the original 5150/6505 specs, and the amp sounds incredible. I don't know if I did something wrong with the mod originally, but the thing that matters is now the amp sounds INCREDIBLE, and truthfully i think FOR ME the 5150II/6505+ sound will work better, the tighter/clearer sound vs. the gainier and more raw/loose sound of the original 5150/6505. And for those that are curious, now that the amp sounds the way it should, I can also say that Celestion G12K-85 speakers and D Activator pickups both sound fucking INCREDIBLE! I didn't have a chance to test them properly through my rig until now. I can't remember the last time being this happy with my sound! :hbang:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
How do you like the clean channel in the amp, i never had a chance to test one; but is it usable?

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
truthfully i think FOR ME the 5150II/6505+ sound will work better, the tighter/clearer sound vs. the gainier and more raw/loose sound of the original 5150/6505.
I'm right there with ya. I love the ii/+ more myself!

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
How do you like the clean channel in the amp, i never had a chance to test one; but is it usable?
The clean channel on the 6505+ is def usable, but you practically have to have your bass on 8 and highs/presence on 0 :nuts:. It's a very brittle/harsh type of clean, but with some EQ'ing it's pretty awesome. :metal:

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
cool! I really like th 5150II I hava as well.
the clean channel can be dialed in for a decent clean but it kills the Crunch channel.
So if you want as "pristine" a clean as you can get , you lose the crunch channel (those clean settings will sound like mud with the crunch on and you need to dial down the gain to get it to clean up),
If you can deal with a bright somewhat "brittle" clean with a little berak up you can dial
it in so you have a kick ass crunch channel at your disposal as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts