Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Upgraded my Ibanez RGD with a Nazgul/Sentient combo, Sperzel locking tuner set, Graph Tech Tusq nut, modified the Gibraltar bridge to be more comfortable while playing and had the gloss sanded off of the back of the neck. The original Gibraltar bridge has sharp edges that dig into my picking hand and makes palm mutes really uncomfortable. I was going to buy the Gibraltar II as a replacement but my tech buddy offered to round the edges down for no cost :yesway: Now it's actually really comfortable and I'm not getting stabbed when palm muting. This thing sounds great and plays even better, I've never had a guitar with Duncans but I'm digging these.

You can see how sharp the edges are on these, weird design:

Rounded edges:

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
RGD = win
Black body + white pickups = win
Everything on this thread really = win
Good stuff :)

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Man, even fucking bridges are being beveled. Kiesel can't keep getting away with this.

Seriously, I love how that bridge looks.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
They revised that bridge design, at least on the six string version, and reduced those shoulders. Not enough for my tastes visually, but it would definitely overcome the problem you're having with it. If that's not quite enough to alleviate the problem for you, maybe could grab a newer version (if they do come in seven string format).

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
That's a huge improvement in ergonomics and the guitar looks sharp as hell :yesway:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great job :yesway:
I love my Ibanez RGD too.

The edge of the bridge looks far more comfy now.
I had the same issue with a regular hipshot bridge on a Schecter I sold since, the saddles were too sharp and because of the way it was setup, it was really unpleasant to palm-mute.

Did you completely sand the finish off the neck ?
Some of my necks are starting to get a little glossy over time and I haven't pulled the trigger yet and sand them or oiled them because too much maintenance needed after that.
And I feel like the finish is not too thick on those necks so I would be afraid to sand too much down and unseal the neck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts