Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have the itch to learn something nifty and classical, as long as it's not fucking Canon in D. :lol: My fingerstyle is pretty good, and I'd like to learn something that can be used as a "party favor" - weddings, office parties, shit like that, something recognizable, but difficult enough that it'll be fun to woodshed on for a while.

And I'm sad to admit that I can play Canon anyway. :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Its not moderately difficult, but its a great piece:

I even arranged a version for stick, i like it so much. Plus, Coroner uses it as intro to the song Totentanz on their first album. \m/

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Bach's Prelude to the first cello suite:

Bach's Air "on a G String"

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (tricky to arrange, but everyone knows it and it's very shreddy)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T&F is cool, but annoying after about 5 measures to everyone but the guy playing it. :lol: Holy shit does that guy's guitar sound sweet though.

Ideally I want something slow and pretty with a handful of oddball chords/voicings that my metal side wouldn't normally throw out there.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Man, this is such a trip down memory lane for me. I played almost all of these at some point during school!

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Drew posted a classical lesson on the other site, its good.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I want classical lessons from Drew, I'll just show up with some booze. :lol:

Besides, everything he plays sounds like bluesy legato anyway. Dude could cover Slayer and make it sound like Hendrix. It makes me want to kick his face, Vova style. :scream2:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
There are some nice concertos by Vivaldi. I like Concerto Baroque. It's actually kind of easy, but it sounds cool. Caprice Op. 250 no. 2 and Fantasy Op. 19 by Legnani always seem to impress, too. Also Sor's B-minor study Op. 35 No. 22 is beautiful. I don't know how recognizable they are, though. :(

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You should arrange this (especially the part from 1:40 on):

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
If I want classical lessons from Drew, I'll just show up with some booze. :lol:

Besides, everything he plays sounds like bluesy legato anyway. Dude could cover Slayer and make it sound like Hendrix. It makes me want to kick his face, Vova style. :scream2:
This scares me.
The more I hear about Drew's playing style, the more I think we'd be so damn compatible in a jam session :lol:
Bluesy legato just about describes half what I do on the guitar:rofl:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Thanks, I think. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The common denominator with all of these is nasty long-ass classical guitar thumbnail. I will not do that. Ever. :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
The common denominator with all of these is nasty long-ass classical guitar thumbnail. I will not do that. Ever. :lol:
I thought of that :lol: Some of my guitar friends have those (I agree its pretty vile) I guess you could get one of those thumbpicks tho

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Ew. I don't know why people let their nails grow out that long. Yes, the nails on my right hand are slightly longer than the nails on my left hand, but only very slightly. I don't think having regular length nails has really been detrimental to my playing. You don't need the long thumb nail.:lol:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Of course, you don't have to play with a nail. Just use the thumb. You won't get the sharp attack but for most the difference is pretty subtle. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts