Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 1 of 18 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
so I thought I would chime in and say that the mode order (edit - OP is right ORDER doesn't change however the QUALITY does. Major and minor are just modes themselves [major=ionian and minor=aeolian] that have taken to being most popular [thanks Bach!] and it all has to do with interval order.) The

I-maj
ii-min
iii-min
IV-maj
V-maj
vi-min
vii-dim

order is based off of major scales and changes to

i-min
ii-dim
III-maj
iv-min
v-min
VI-maj
VII-maj (with the last maj-maj [VI and VII chord] changing depending on natural [no alterations], harmonic [sharp 7] or melodic minor [sharp 6+7 on the way up, natural minor on the way down] in use)

Take C major; CDEFGAB and build standard tertiary chords (root, 3rd, 5th) off the root (CMaj has 0 sharps or flats)

CEG is a MAJOR chord (I - maj)
DFA is a minor chord (ii - min)
EGB is a minor chord (iii - min)
FAC is a MAJOR chord (IV - maj)
GBD is a MAJOR chord (V - maj)
ACE is a minor chord (vi - min)
BDF is a diminished chord (vii - dim)

Using 'a' minor (same 0 sharps or flats)

ACE is a minor chord (i - min)
BDF is a diminished chord (ii - dim)
CEG is a MAJOR chord (III - maj)
DFA is a minor chord (iv - min)
EGB is a minor chord (v - min)
FAC is a MAJOR chord (VI - maj)
GBD is a MAJOR chord (VII - maj)

it's actually an extension of the same pattern (as is the minor [aeolian] mode) which starts on the minor vi chord of the Major (ionian) mode and continues. Maybe that's what OP meant...

Of note, there's also a pattern that these modes/scales came to be.

CDEFGBA : look at the intervals.

C - whole step to...
D - whole step to...
E - half step to ...
F - whole step to...
G - whole step to...
A - whole step to...
B - half step to...
C

so d dorian (ii - min) goes

D - whole step to...
E - half step to...
F - whole step to...
G - whole step to...
A - whole step to...
B - half step to...
C - whole step to...
D

THE PATTERNS DUKE! THE PATTERNS!!

Anyway is cool to know how the chords are built in identifying why those modes are maj/min.

Now my question - why do guitar players use modes? It doesn't make sense to me. You say "d dorian is so cool!" I say "yea, I know C major is great!" What am I missing? Why does everyone think they're cool? obviously they are as Tosin from Animals thinks that way and that man is totally awesome in my book.

1 - 1 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.