Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just scored an artcore at a good price, and it's fixed bridge. I've never owned one before, so if anyone has any experience, please chime in as I am looking at how feasable / difficult modifying them is seeing as they are hollow body, and there's no cavity plates so I am assuming access to everything is quite fiddly and hard...

- Pickup swap

- Installing a bigsby trem

Especially the second item, as I think a bigsby trem would really make the guitar look cool!

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
All your wiring is fiddled in. They wire it up then slip it through the F-holes and mount it from there. Its a fiddly job, full of swearing and crying, although well worth it, the Artcore Pickups are nothing to write home about.

As for a bigsby, it depends on what model you have. If you have one with a trapeze tailpiece then you will have a rosewood-based TOM bridge, which is called the ART-2 bridge. You can swap the whole arrangement for the Ibanez bigsby type job and the ART-1 roller bridge for minimal cost (all the bits line up roughly too) but you'll have to lie and name your model as being one that normally comes with those bits. :)

If you have one of the slimline Artcores more similar to a Gibsoon 335 then you'll have pressmounted studs punched through a solid wood toneblock running the centre of the body. At that point you're looking at a more traditional (read expensive) Bigsby installation on an instrument not designed to have one. :)

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Those guitars are smaller than your typical hollowbody, and even smaller than a Les Paul. I'm not sure a Bigsby would fit.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
They do make a version of this with a sort of floating trem. Ibanez :: Hollow Guitars :: AJD71T

If i still played sixes, i'd almost certainly have one of these.

The more recent version, the AJD91 does use a bridge + stop tail, so maybe there is enough room for a Bigsby type tailpiece on there. These guitars have one of my favourite 3+3 headstocks ever.

Swapping pickups probably wouldn't be too bad, since you can just pull the toggle switch through the f-hole and feed the pickup wiring through the pickup cavities with relative ease. It would be a LOT more awkward if it had a dual-volume/dual-tone configuration, because the pots come before the switch in that configuration.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You know, I don't understand why they put the straplock on the back behind the neck joint when there's a perfectly good upper horn on there.

I know there's less wood behind the horn on a hollowbody, but I don't think it'd be too much of an issue structurally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts