Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice above. I can either grab some monitor stands, and have to put them behind my desk, which will be horrible for my OCD and I'm struggling to find proper stands full stop (trying searching for 'monitor stands' on Google and see what comes up), or I can buy some wallmounts for them, which they already have holes in the back for.

What do you guys recommend in a situation like mine? If I wallmount them, the wall will be solid brick. If I get stands, they'll likely be sand filled. If needs be, I can post a pic up later of current room layout when I get home and I've tidied up.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Small room? Poor people problems. :crooks:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
i know this is going to horrify a lot of people but for what you will be using them for, does it really matter?

:hides:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
fuck it, mine are sitting at either corner of my desk with my screen between them.

Im aware sonicly this is not the best but

:dgaf:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Stands look like shit, I have a pair of them sitting in my basement. If 90% of your listening time is just going to be tunes, who the hell cares? Wall mount them if you can, because it looks better. I keep mine on my desk, against a wall, and they sound fantastic.

Just reference mix in your car when you actually mix on them, and adjust your bass accordingly. Don't shit up your room for "optimal" position if you aren't running a pro studio. Who the hell cares if they're decoupled from the wall or not? It's not like it makes a monster audible difference, especially at the hobby level of recording that 99.9% of us do.

:2c:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stands look like shit, I have a pair of them sitting in my basement. If 90% of your listening time is just going to be tunes, who the hell cares? Wall mount them if you can, because it looks better. I keep mine on my desk, against a wall, and they sound fantastic.

Just reference mix in your car when you actually mix on them, and adjust your bass accordingly. Don't shit up your room for "optimal" position if you aren't running a pro studio. Who the hell cares if they're decoupled from the wall or not? It's not like it makes a monster audible difference, especially at the hobby level of recording that 99.9% of us do.

I really really want to take this approach, but after hearing my monitors on my temporary 'desk', which was was a ridiculously heavy, strengthened glass and steel desk, under nothing but auralex pads, the difference really is night and day, and something I'd quite like to reacquire :lol: I'm still leaning towards wallmounts to be fair, but weighing up stands as an option.

MDV should bring his stands round to mine and let me try them :jedimindtricks:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Desk mounting works pretty well too, you know.

IMO, if your "studio" is also a living space (as was mine - it was my bedroom), then function needs to follow form. I wanted to occasionally have sex, so that meant desk position tried to strike a balance between convenience and function, but was definitely against one wall and was not "ideally" positioned, and there was no acoustic treatment on my walls. I would roll my desk to the center of my room for final mixing, but that was it.

In my new space, I'll have an extra bedroom that I'm converting to a studio/music room. In that space, I'm going to set it up as optimally as I can, because I won't be using the room for anything else.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Desk mounting works pretty well too, you know.

IMO, if your "studio" is also a living space (as was mine - it was my bedroom), then function needs to follow form. I wanted to occasionally have sex, so that meant desk position tried to strike a balance between convenience and function, but was definitely against one wall and was not "ideally" positioned, and there was no acoustic treatment on my walls. I would roll my desk to the center of my room for final mixing, but that was it.

In my new space, I'll have an extra bedroom that I'm converting to a studio/music room. In that space, I'm going to set it up as optimally as I can, because I won't be using the room for anything else.
They're on the desk, on some Auralex pads, but I'll my nice lows are gone, instead I have a desk that's stealing them all.

The room I have is a dedicated gear room/studio, so I'm not arsed about where I need to put isolation.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Stands.

For reasons already stated, and you have much more freedom to move them to optimise a listening position.

Mine arent moving unless I want to change my listening position. And I really, really dont. So ner.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stands.

For reasons already stated, and you have much more freedom to move them to optimise a listening position.

Mine arent moving unless I want to change my listening position. And I really, really dont. So ner.
Pfft. Killjoy. I've found a few stands that will do the job for around £100-£150. I also looked at the isoacoustics dekstop stands. I'm not entirely sure how good they'd be though.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts

+1

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
100-150?

Mine cost me £20 on the marketplace at work. Perfectly good.

They're sitting on ~£300 speakers to bring them to the right height and add a wider base for stability, but thats beside the point. Pretty sure you could to that cheaper.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

:agreed:

Shitty looking monitor stands? http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/music-recording-studio/57751-diy-desktop-monitor-stands.html

Get 'em up to ear level if you need to, and slide the desk out into the room for final mixing if you can, but for day-to-day listening, do whatever looks best.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:agreed:

Shitty looking monitor stands? http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/music-recording-studio/57751-diy-desktop-monitor-stands.html

Get 'em up to ear level if you need to, and slide the desk out into the room for final mixing if you can, but for day-to-day listening, do whatever looks best.
Good idea!

'Put the speakers wherever looks best' is like saying 'Put the TV wherever tastes best'
:lol:

I found these, and they're fillable.
ATLAS LOUDSPEAKER SPEAKER FLOOR STANDS BLACK HEIGHT 80CM 800MM | eBay

1 - 20 of 24 Posts