Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to do this swap basically forever, but finally got a free day where I had the time to do the work while shooting video.

tl;dr - not only do I love the PAF Pro exactly as much as I expected to in this guitar, I forgot how much I like the Blaze (the one in my UV is dying so I haven't played one in ages). Tons of harmonic overtones on sustained notes, and while I really legitimately dug the Custom, the Blaze's softer response and rounder low-mids just feels like home. This pickup will pretty much always be what a seven string *should* sound like to me.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Sounds great dude. That Suhr is great looking too.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Jesus that’s a nice guitar.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that guitar is fucking amazing. I'm lucky.

I really liked the Sentient/Custom set - I had it in there probably two years, and it kept me pretty happy for that whole time. The Sentient is more "vintage" than you'd expect of the name, medium output, very clear and open high end (it did everything I hated about the Pegasus, but that works for me in a neck pickup, just not a bridge). But, it was always my trying to get as close to a PAF Pro in seven strings as I could, so when I got the chance to grab an actual one, I did. And the Custom was great - very percussive low end, and if I was predominantly a riff guy I might have kept it in in there, as it's both thuick, but very, very clear. But, as a "seven stringer of a certain age," the Blaze is just what a seven string is supposed to sound like.

The recording rig here probably helps the tone somewhat too - I've done some pretty serious upgrading since my last album, and I think it shows. This was a SM57 and a MD421 in phase ands both slightly off axis, into a BAE 1073MP Neve-style preamp run fairly hot, through a (bypassed) set of Neve 551 EQs (wanted to make this as true to life as possible). I'm still demoing and whatnot, but I'm really happy with the sounds I've been getting.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, DGAF and all, but I did check in with Dimarzio who confirmed that this is indeed a ceramic magnet in the PAF Pro, but with their Virtual Vintage technology being used to voice it more like an Alnico. Not that it really matters, but either way I'm digging the shit out of this set.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I dug the Duncan tones the most, but I think I seem to in general.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts