Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
While I can't watch this ATM, I will say that more likely than not it's more dynamic than if I even tried exaggerating my dynamics while playing. :/

Part of it might be the Lace Sensors, part of it is his 12-13's taking more abuse than my 11s can handle, but the other 98.7% is just his fucking right hand. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Don't knock the lace sensors. They may not be cork sniffer holy grail tone buttons but i have heard a lot of great tones come out of them.
All Dave's bashing aside :)wub:) I'm actually by and large pretty happy with them. They sound great, are dead quiet, and have no magnetic pull on the strings. However, they DO seem to be slightly less open than traditional singlecoils - in particular, my high E sounds a little more compressed through my amp than it does acoustically. They also don't seem to have quite the sparkle - I'll listen to something like "Electric Gypsy" by Andy Timmons, and wonder how the heck he's getting that tone out of a Marshall. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I always thought SRV was more impressive when he turned it down like this. "Tin Pan Alley" and "Riviera Paradise" are probably my two favorite SRV tracks.

It's funny, too, because whenever I pick up a Strat and go with an ultra-clean tone, it almost always ends up sounding like a bad imitation of "Riviera Paradise." :lol:

I'm also very impressed in this video with how his Strat actually stays in tune when he uses the trem. Never worked for me.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Love this piece, and that's a fantastic performance!:)

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Everything he did at El Macambo was amazing! I have the dvd and it is mind blowing.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
All Dave's bashing aside :)wub:) I'm actually by and large pretty happy with them. They sound great, are dead quiet, and have no magnetic pull on the strings. However, they DO seem to be slightly less open than traditional singlecoils - in particular, my high E sounds a little more compressed through my amp than it does acoustically. They also don't seem to have quite the sparkle - I'll listen to something like "Electric Gypsy" by Andy Timmons, and wonder how the heck he's getting that tone out of a Marshall. :lol:
to be even more of a douchy tone-nerd i'll be the first to say, the best strat tone i've ever played personally has been my CS strat through a 100 watt MV jcm800.

It was strat tone heaven. No joke.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I actually really like that glassy Strat-into-clean-marshall sound, clean, with the tiniest bit of grit. :wub:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
/agreed.

If i had a band where i was playing my strat all the time, i'd probably reinvest in a jcm800 or something close to it. fenders do a nice sound with them but nothing really beats the single coil into a marshall for that sound for me.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
/agreed.

If i had a band where i was playing my strat all the time, i'd probably reinvest in a jcm800 or something close to it. fenders do a nice sound with them but nothing really beats the single coil into a marshall for that sound for me.
My first tube amp (technically, 2nd - I bought a Fender Hod Rod Deluxe, which was great, but exchanged it a week later for this, which fit me better) was one of these:

I guess they're notoriously reliable, and I ended up trading it in for my first Mesa after I had some issues with it cutting out at high volume that my shop couldn't replicate (i traded it somewhere else - partly because I liked them, and partly because the local chain carried Mesa and I didn't mind leaving them with an amp I thought still had issues), but the clean channel was to DIE for. Crisp and glassy at low volumes, and wide open was total Jimi-plays-the-blues. If I had somewhere to properly open it up, could grab one on the cheap, and was playing in a blues band, I'd love to snag another.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Me > SRV for heavy metal rhythm guitar on 7 strings:flex2:

SRV > Me for practically every other aspect of guitar playing :lol:

I really got watch that DVD again sometime soon. I bought it about 3 years ago, and still love it

·
Read Only
1 Posts
While I can't watch this ATM, I will say that more likely than not it's more dynamic than if I even tried exaggerating my dynamics while playing. :/

Part of it might be the Lace Sensors, part of it is his 12-13's taking more abuse than my 11s can handle, but the other 98.7% is just his fucking right hand. :lol:
Dont forget the Dumble amps

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Dont forget the Dumble amps
...as well as the old Fenders, old Marshalls, and a SLO or two. I gather he played through a whole mountain of amps at once, live. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts