Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't intake any caffine if at all possible due to it escalating my anxiety disorder. 2 regular sodas in like an hr or two and I feel like crap.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I read through that whole thing, but it struck me as bizarre that it seemed to read like "People drink coffee for caffeine."

Caffeine has never had any effect on my body, so I can't really understand that. I drink anywhere from 1-8 cups of coffee a day, but I'll sometimes go for a week with no coffee. I've never had a headache from going without drinking coffee and I've never felt like I had more energy after drinking it. In fact, I used to always get sleepy after drinking coffee, but not anymore.

I just love the way coffee tastes. :shrug: Coffee is a gift from the gods of the Ethiopian skies unto all of mankind forever and ever. Amen.

It was an interesting article. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drink coffee for caffeine, AND because I love how it tastes. It actually is kind of soothing for me - there's something like of mellowing about a hot cup of black coffee first thing in the morning.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Excellent read. I am beginning to think of trying an experiment - no caffeine for a month or so - to see if and how it affects me.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I love coffee. I know it affects me, so i have to keep my intake to a minimum or i get the shakes and nasty acid reflux. Any coffee after lunchtime also affects my ability to get to sleep. But i do love the stuff.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I love coffee. I know it affects me, so i have to keep my intake to a minimum or i get the shakes and nasty acid reflux. Any coffee after lunchtime also affects my ability to get to sleep. But i do love the stuff.
I generally drink coffee within an hour before going to bed. The apartment is filled with coffee, despite the fact that my girlfriend won't drink any coffee at all.

Coffee overload? :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent read. I am beginning to think of trying an experiment - no caffeine for a month or so - to see if and how it affects me.
I perriodically take either two weeks or a month off caffeine just to see how I hold up. So far, I haven't had withdrawal symptoms, but I haven't done it in a while.

Naren - it varies for me. More often than not I can have a coffee after dinner and still sleep with no problems, but every once in a while I'll have a cup in the afternoon and then toss and turn all night. It's weird. I usually stop drinking in the afternoon for this reason, but periodically if I'm out for dinner I'll have a cup of coffee after I eat simply because the Italian in me enjoys ending a meal that way.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Naren - it varies for me. More often than not I can have a coffee after dinner and still sleep with no problems, but every once in a while I'll have a cup in the afternoon and then toss and turn all night. It's weird. I usually stop drinking in the afternoon for this reason, but periodically if I'm out for dinner I'll have a cup of coffee after I eat simply because the Italian in me enjoys ending a meal that way.
Hm. Interesting. I wonder if the cause of having trouble sleeping is the coffee or something else, seeing how it varies like that.

And, yes, having coffee right after you've finished a meal is just the way to do it. :agreed:

On a similar related subject, if you want to have something similar to coffee that tastes great but has no caffeine, Chicory is pretty awesome and makes an excellent coffee substitute (Coffee and chicory are both excellent).

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My first exposure to chicory was, I think, a Family Guy spoof where Peter had plastic surgery, became "attractive," and suddenly his family was socially "cool," so Martha Stewart started giving Lois personalized home living tips, one of which being to flavor coffee with chicory. I've had a hard time taking it seriously ever since. :lol:

And yeah, it's entirely possible it could be something else, I'm not 100% sure. Coffee does seem to occasionally impact me more than it normally does, and I almost never have that kind of "reaction" on a night where I didn't have a late cup of coffee.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
My first exposure to chicory was, I think, a Family Guy spoof where Peter had plastic surgery, became "attractive," and suddenly his family was socially "cool," so Martha Stewart started giving Lois personalized home living tips, one of which being to flavor coffee with chicory. I've had a hard time taking it seriously ever since. :lol:
You didn't know about chicory before Family Guy? :lol: I thought you were really into Indian food (India is one of the main countries that uses chicory as a coffee substitute). Just this week, I had chicory at a Tunisian restaurant and it was awesome. :yesway: The one restaurant has a card with info on chicory and it's interesting that chicory has actually been eaten for much longer than coffee. I prefer coffee, but chicory tastes pretty damn good. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You didn't know about chicory before Family Guy? :lol: I thought you were really into Indian food (India is one of the main countries that uses chicory as a coffee substitute). Just this week, I had chicory at a Tunisian restaurant and it was awesome. :yesway: The one restaurant has a card with info on chicory and it's interesting that chicory has actually been eaten for much longer than coffee. I prefer coffee, but chicory tastes pretty damn good. :yesway:
I got into Indian food in college - it struck me as something I thought I'd like, but I'd never had a chance to try it. And it wasn't until the last four or five years where I really started cooking it. And I used to watch a LOT of Family Guy. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I got into Indian food in college - it struck me as something I thought I'd like, but I'd never had a chance to try it. And it wasn't until the last four or five years where I really started cooking it. And I used to watch a LOT of Family Guy. :lol:
Still. Family Guy is pretty random. Not taking chicory "seriously" because of Family Guy is kinda weird. :lol: That's like not taking spaghetti seriously because of the Simpsons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts