Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
gotta be real, my expectations are pretty low but i'll probably go see it. all the game characters seem great, but any video game movie that introduces an original character to be the protagonist is a bad sign.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
This. Looks. Awful.

It looks like some high schooler got a Adobe Premiere/After Effects trial and got to work with some friends.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Mortal Kombat is a terribad franchise to try and cultivate a movie from. Three times!

IF you were going to make a MK movie, the best route would be a Jumanji/Ready Player One type scenario where the characters are avatars. Trying to make a for real serious movie about government agents cracking into a martial arts tournament in another dimension is cornball central.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
The original MK movie is one of the only good video game movies and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

I had next to no expectations for this but the trailer looks...pretty fun? Seems like it's gonna be an excuse to string together a bunch of cool shots of kung fu mans doing the moves from the games, which is exactly what I want from a movie based on a goddamn fighting game. :lol:

The original character they're introducing seems dumb, but the theory going around is that he's gonna turn out to be Johnny Cage, since he's the only really major character missing from the cast. It's 100% gonna be some dumb shit where a guy shows up at the end of the movie like "Hey Cole, I'm a big Hollywood agent and I think you could be a star. You're gonna need to change your name though. Anyway, nice sunglasses. Give me a call sometime!"

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
The original MK movie is one of the only good video game movies and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

I had next to no expectations for this but the trailer looks...pretty fun? Seems like it's gonna be an excuse to string together a bunch of cool shots of kung fu mans doing the moves from the games, which is exactly what I want from a movie based on a goddamn fighting game. :lol:

The original character they're introducing seems dumb, but the theory going around is that he's gonna turn out to be Johnny Cage, since he's the only really major character missing from the cast. It's 100% gonna be some dumb shit where a guy shows up at the end of the movie like "Hey Cole, I'm a big Hollywood agent and I think you could be a star. You're gonna need to change your name though. Anyway, nice sunglasses. Give me a call sometime!"
I've seen some other theories that he'll be the next Sub-Zero. Both theories are kinda dumb, but are preferable to there just being some boring-ass generic motherfucker named "Cole" taking up the main character slot that belongs to Liu Kang.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Kinda wanted Kano to be Simon Pegg in that last frame, but whatever, it'll get my $20 :lol:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen some other theories that he'll be the next Sub-Zero. Both theories are kinda dumb, but are preferable to there just being some boring-ass generic motherfucker named "Cole" taking up the main character slot that belongs to Liu Kang.
The Sub Zero theory makes more sense, and less dumb than the Johnny Cage theory since Sub Zero is more a mantle held my multiple ninjas. Though the Cage theory is so deliciously bad it actually fits well in MK. I do like Lewis Tas as an actor and fighter so looking forward either way.

And besides, has anyone played the recent Mortal Kombat games? The story is so hilariously woeful, it's the reason why they're so fun.

I will say I have a soft spot for big movies being filmed in Australia. MK suddenly made Adelaide more interesting. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I don't mind that approach.

There was that Spawn movie Todd McFarlane's been shopping around the last several years where the story follows some other guy and you're only seeing Spawn from a third person perspective through incidents where their paths overlap.

If you've got an especially corny storyline and people in costumes that's anything besides MCU or something, and you're trying to be taken seriously, you have to build the world in a relatable way to where either the characters/situation doesn't feel so unusual anymore by the time you get there; or the opposite, where you're seeing wild events going on through the eyes of a guy that you can relate to. I think a movie like Jeepers Creepers is a good example of that concept.

Or alternatively, you can just embrace the cornball nature, in which case you get something like Annihilation which is fine too but, you know... not exactly timeless in a good way.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
And besides, has anyone played the recent Mortal Kombat games? The story is so hilariously woeful, it's the reason why they're so fun.

I will say I have a soft spot for big movies being filmed in Australia. MK suddenly made Adelaide more interesting. :lol:
The sad thing is that with the exception of Tekken 4, I can't think of any other fighting games with a better story than the the past few MK games. I'm aware it's an incredibly low bar, though.

I don't mind that approach.

There was that Spawn movie Todd McFarlane's been shopping around the last several years where the story follows some other guy and you're only seeing Spawn from a third person perspective through incidents where their paths overlap.

If you've got an especially corny storyline and people in costumes that's anything besides MCU or something, and you're trying to be taken seriously, you have to build the world in a relatable way to where either the characters/situation doesn't feel so unusual anymore by the time you get there; or the opposite, where you're seeing wild events going on through the eyes of a guy that you can relate to. I think a movie like Jeepers Creepers is a good example of that concept.

Or alternatively, you can just embrace the cornball nature, in which case you get something like Annihilation which is fine too but, you know... not exactly timeless in a good way.
True, I'm sure they thought that they needed a "layperson" character to act as an audience surrogate. The issue being, of course that

a. most people who will see this are familiar enough with MK to not need an everyman to ease them into the universe
b. most people who will see this are also MK fans and don't want some OC asshole taking up space in a movie that will almost definitely be crowded as-is
c. Liu Kang can easily be characterized to be normal enough to be an everyman that acts as the audience surrogate. he's also, you know, the protagonist of the games

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The sad thing is that with the exception of Tekken 4, I can't think of any other fighting games with a better story than the the past few MK games. I'm aware it's an incredibly low bar, though.

True, I'm sure they thought that they needed a "layperson" character to act as an audience surrogate. The issue being, of course that

a. most people who will see this are familiar enough with MK to not need an everyman to ease them into the universe
b. most people who will see this are also MK fans and don't want some OC asshole taking up space in a movie that will almost definitely be crowded as-is
c. Liu Kang can easily be characterized to be normal enough to be an everyman that acts as the audience surrogate. he's also, you know, the protagonist of the games
Agreed on all points.

I wouldn't say I'm some kind of purist when it comes to art (MK? art? :lol: ) but if you're gonna burn money and creative juice on something, it should occupy some kind of unoccupied space in the universe. You can't record a cover of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" because they already nailed it the first time, if you do it's just karaoke, it's not adding anything.

In the same sense, if MK is just going to be a fan service schlocky karate movie with people in costumes, they already did it twice. Cinematography-wise this doesn't even look like an improvement, it's just different people with a different throwaway story to lead into the fighting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is now my one of the best action movie.

He had a brief role in the 1995 Spawn movie. During the last many years, Todd McFarlane has searched for a tale in which the protagonist is someone other than Spawn, and the viewer only sees Spawn as an outside participant in overlapping events.

You can play Mortal Kombat on your android also. Somewhat related to the movie. You can check the full list here: https://geniusgeeks.com/best-action-games-for-iphone-ipad/

If you've got an especially corny storyline, characters in costumes, and everything is taking place in a separate continuity from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), and you're trying to be taken seriously, you must either make the setting feel familiar enough that the outlandish nature of the events or characters isn't jarring; or alternatively, the world should be unique enough that your viewpoint character doesn't see ordinary events. A movie like Jeepers Creepers does an excellent job illustrating that notion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts