Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The name dropping and the concept is corny as fuck, but it's lightyears cooler looking than any of the other Mortal Kombat movies.

Also, I don't think that's Doakes (sp?) but I do think it's the guy who played Spawn.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely looks corny, but it seems like the kind of corny that I could get into :lol:

There's some debate as to whether this is a real movie or not, since there's very little information anywhere about it.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Yeah, the way they're giving hints at the characters is corny, but as long as everyone's in there then fine.

I really wish this was more like the first one, I mean - Jax doesn't have metal arms, Scorpion is apparently a living dude instead of the demon-thing he was, Baraka's arms are a bit too sword like and weird, and Reptile looks kind of fucked up and not in a good way.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
It definitely looks corny, but it seems like the kind of corny that I could get into :lol:

There's some debate as to whether this is a real movie or not, since there's very little information anywhere about it.
I don't know, it'd have to be somewhat of a big guy to make a fake release like this. Jai White and Jeri Ryan might not be the biggest names but they are still good actors, and the overall look and feel of it presents itself very well.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know, it'd have to be somewhat of a big guy to make a fake release like this. Jai White and Jeri Ryan might not be the biggest names but they are still good actors, and the overall look and feel of it presents itself very well.
Yeah, that's my stance too. Seems like they're just trying to build buzz through the rumour mill. The other thought I had was that they could have just put together this high budget trailer for a movie they haven't even started to make yet, in hopes of gaining attention, which would lead to financial backing to make the actual movie.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I would certainly hope the movie is being shot since IIRC, they gave it a release for 2012?

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
FUCK HOLLYWOOD!!! :mad:

For FUCK's sake!! What the hell is wrong with the movie industry!? They can't make a good ORIGINAL movie anymore?! So they gotta take an existing story, and recreate it... paying NO ATTENTION TO THE ORIGINAL DETAILS WHATSOEVER?!

Fuck this movie. This looks like nothing more than cashing in on another already established franchise (See: Transformers, Star Trek). Since when is Scorpion Latino?! And since when does Baraka have dread locks?! Oh, right, and Reptile decapitates his opponents... wait, no THAT'S SUB-ZERO's schtick!!!

Fuck this movie. How retarded. The first Mortal Kombat was sweet. The other ones kinda sucked, but at least they LOOKED like the video games. :noplease:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
FUCK HOLLYWOOD!!! :mad:

For FUCK's sake!! What the hell is wrong with the movie industry!? They can't make a good ORIGINAL movie anymore?! So they gotta take an existing story, and recreate it... paying NO ATTENTION TO THE ORIGINAL DETAILS WHATSOEVER?!

Fuck this movie. This looks like nothing more than cashing in on another already established franchise (See: Transformers, Star Trek). Since when is Scorpion Latino?! And since when does Baraka have dread locks?! Oh, right, and Reptile decapitates his opponents... wait, no THAT'S SUB-ZERO's schtick!!!

Fuck this movie. How retarded. The first Mortal Kombat was sweet. The other ones kinda sucked, but at least they LOOKED like the video games. :noplease:
Sub-Zero ripped out spines as far as I remembered, and Kung Lao if anyone, should be credited with the first person to decapitate people. I know in the newer MK's where Reptile has been an actual lizard, he's had a fatality movie where he eats peoples heads but before that he didn't.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
That looks WAY, WAY better than it has any right to. Let me put it this way, I'm intrigued.

Rog, I'm with you on most things related to this. That new Karate Kid abortion is just pathetic. Fucking karate kid is now a slander against the little cock sucker. Should be Kung Fu kid.

But at any rate, this actually looks kinda cool. I have no love for the original MK movie franchise, because it SUCKED BALL. Rog - the first movie was terrible, man. Just terrible.

And Star Trek? That movie was ace. Best ST movie made yet. And I'm a die hard Next Gen fan.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Kinda like the original mortal kombat movies?
I'm intrigued as to why everyone says the original was a horrible adaptation? It pretty much did exactly what it was meant to - a bunch of fighters competing in a tournament against other fighters to prevent Shang Tsung from ruling over Earth/minor details may be off. Scorpion and Sub-Zero were exactly as they should have been, two fighters who hated each other; Johnny Cage was a movie star who used his signature ballbreaker to defeat Goro, Sonya Blade was a hot blonde who kicked Kano's ass, and Liu Kang was the relative of Kung Lao and used his signature Fireball to defeat Shang Tsung in the end. Not to mention, Raiden was played by Christopher fucking Lambert, the motherfucking HIGHLANDER.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I actually enjoy(ed) it :shrug: Whether or not it's a bad movie is subjective, however it DID follow the actual idea/character structure of Mortal Kombat
I never claimed it didn't. In point of fact, I'd much rather see something of quality, that's less derivative and strays from the original formula, then something true, yet lackluster.

There are people out there, I'm sure, who didn't like Citizen Kane. But that doesn't stop the fact that it is almost universally acclaimed as one of the best cinematic masterpieces of all time. By the same logic, the general consensus is that the original MK movie is not really very good.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I should clarify Boober, that comment of staying true wasn't directed at you by any means, just re-stating as part of why I enjoyed it, and apparently since Ken found it to be paying no attention to the original details

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.