Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Red Bull Rampage, the unofficial end of the year's MTB competition season, will be going down in Utah tomorrow (Sunday 13 October). As in the last few years, it'll be aired live online on various MTB sites (Pinkbike, Vital, etc.). This year looks to be the craziest its ever been, so who knows what'll be thrown. What is known is that ******* Zink, the winner of 2011, is planning on backflipping off the top of this thing:

Even in practice, someone broke their femur in two places and several bikes bit the dust. If you like watching amazing feats on a bike, this is definitely the event to watch.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if you know the story behind that demon-head thing, but he's named after Josh Bender - the first big "huck your meat" guy in the sport and longtime Rampage competitor/builder/organizer/judge/everything else.

He was also responsible for the construction of the briefly-lived but legendary Marzocchi Super Monster, a 12" travel fork:

I rode one outside a store, and barely even knew that I was riding over/off curbs. I'm pretty sure I could hear it laughing at me, asking not-so-politely to be thrown off a cliff or two.

For shits and giggles, here's a few more banger hits on the hill:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I think you and I are probably the only ones that watched this, Duncan. :lol:

Pretty solid competition, sucks about the wind cancellation for the second runs. Damn cool to watch, though the fucking commentators/announcers were over the top obnoxious.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at my mom's for Canadian Thanksgiving, so I'm just getting caught up now. The wind was bad last year, too, but not enough to completely blow out the second runs. Such a bummer, because the guys had build some seriously crazy shit this year.

I'd say I can't believe that Zink flipped it, but after seeing him flip the similarly sized stepdown on video a few years ago, I knew he had it in him. Seeing people flip the canyon gap, though, that was a shocker, especially given that people were barely making it across even last year. Plus Tyler McCaul's HUGE natural stepdown... Fuckin' Drew wind...

·
Gött mos!
319 Posts
I realise that I'm a bit late to the party here but I think that Lacondeguy's way of attacking the course should have been taken into consideration a bit more. A fourth place is not high enough. As a former DH racer I may be a bit biased but more or less just rolling down to set up "the big trick" like some of the other guys did doesn't cut it for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts