Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those outside of Canada, Much Music is sort of like the Canadian MTV, except it doesn't suck quite as bad, and we also have MTV Canada :lol:

CBC News - Television - MuchMusic can't cut back on videos: CRTC

The CRTC has rejected MuchMusic's request to air fewer music videos in favour of more "lifestyle" programming, but network executives say the station will continue to press for the changes.

Much had asked the federal broadcast regulator for a number of amendments to its licence - including one that would allow the station to reduce the number of videos it plays to 25 per cent of its total content from the current 50 per cent.

Parent company CTV also wanted to reduce Canadian content and add more animated programs and drama to MuchMusic.

The CRTC turned down most of CTV's requests but will permit feature films to be aired on MuchMusic.

MuchMusic's move to reduce the number of music videos it shows was opposed by a number of groups, including Rogers, which argued that "it would allow MuchMusic to reorient itself from a music-based service into a lifestyle-type service targeting young adults."

The amendment was also opposed by a number of organizations representing the music industry - including the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) and the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN) - who argued that MuchMusic would duplicate the programming of MTV Canada, another CTV property.

The CRTC also rejected Much's request to eliminate French-language videos from its playlist and to decrease music-related content (from 100 per cent to 75 per cent).

Brad Schwartz, senior vice-president of Toronto's Much MTV Group, says the network needs more flexibility because of its declining viewership. He said changes are necessary to keep the station relevant to young viewers.

More flexibility needed: Schwartz

CTV will put the changes forward again when its requests a group licence renewal next year for its cluster of specialty networks, which includes Much.

"It's certainly not the end of the process," Schwartz said in a telephone interview from New York.

"We got some nice flexibility to put us on par with other specialty channels, and I'm confident that our case is strong on why we need these changes to keep MuchMusic relevant."

Schwartz says that in an age where music videos are available on-demand in an ever-increasing multitude of formats, a television station based solely on music videos isn't viable.

"What the CRTC does in creating the nature of services and genre protections is to allow businesses to be special," Schwartz said. "And our problem is, music videos no longer make us special. When you look at a service like Vevo - which is owned by the record labels - we don't even get music video premieres anymore. All music video premieres are on Vevo."

The CRTC did approve MuchMusic's request to operate 18 hours a day, down from 24. That means that Much will be free to broadcast whatever it wants between midnight and 6 a.m., without consideration of its licence - allowing, for instance, additional late-night reruns of Gossip Girl.

Schwartz said the change could take effect as early as next week

Read more: CBC News - Television - MuchMusic can't cut back on videos: CRTC

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Man, I remember how badly I wanted to be able to watch Much growing up, since it was impossible to watch metal videos without it. When I finally got cable in my teens, I realized how utterly crappy most of the Much programming was - And that the weekly hour of metal videos was mostly uninteresting stuff, too. Serious let down, that.

I did see the video for Emperor's "The Loss and Curse of Reverence" on there, though. Once. A definite highlight.

Internet killed the video star.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True enough, I just find it interesting that they've kept 50% music video content, and that they're still (technically) 100% music related content. I mean, they get around that by including reality shows that feature people who used to be recording artists/performers.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I had no idea they still played 50% music videos. I can't remember the last time i watched a full music video on Much. I don't think their declining viewership is because of playing too many music videos. It's because all of the content just sucks. They should keep either MTV Canada or MuchMusic as a pure music station.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no idea they still played 50% music videos. I can't remember the last time i watched a full music video on Much. I don't think their declining viewership is because of playing too many music videos. It's because all of the content just sucks. They should keep either MTV Canada or MuchMusic as a pure music station.
Well, most people seem to forget MTV Canada exists, but I say put all the "lifestyle" stuff on MTV Canada, make Much Music 100% music (50% videos, 50% real music-related shows), and keep Much More Music as it is, since it seems to actually be a decent balance last time I checked (decent video-only shows for stretches of the morning/day, some "reality" shows, some music documentaries/movies, etc.).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Much Music may suck... but it's better than MTV. And now they're trying to become MTV.

Although I think MTV is more like 1% music videos, 10% music related content, and the remaining 90% are all reality shows and other garbage.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to see someone challenge their content, claiming that they're not meeting their 50% music video content requirement, based on the fact that Justin Bieber (or insert other terrible "artist" here) isn't music :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I'd love to see someone challenge their content, claiming that they're not meeting their 50% music video content requirement, based on the fact that Justin Bieber (or insert other terrible "artist" here) isn't music :lol:
Well, I've heard people challenge that certain rap is music by saying that it only contains rhythm and no melody. Obviously that only applies to certain rappers, but still. I remember there was a dictionary or encylopedia that said "Rap, while not a style of music, is actually a rhythmic..." It was from like 1984 or somewhere around there, though.

I'm sure someone could try to challenge their content by saying it's not music because it's terrible, but that person would be thrown into prison for being insane... and stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I miss MuchMusic so badly. We had access to it here in the US through DirecTV, from the mid 90's until about 2001? If it weren't for that channel, I would have never heard of bands like The Tea Party, or be exposed to what was happening with the Britpop or Electronica movements going on at the time. Glastonbury Festival? Never even knew about it until I started watching Much.

Then it all turned to shit when that channel was converted over to a more "US-Centric" programming known as FUSE. Which sucks just as badly as MTV/MTV2 does.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
It's bizarre to me, bad music or not, you'd think viewers would not want to destroy the outlets that they find music through. I mean, where do kids WANT to discover music from? :scratch:

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
I miss MuchMusic so badly. We had access to it here in the US through DirecTV, from the mid 90's until about 2001? If it weren't for that channel, I would have never heard of bands like The Tea Party, or be exposed to what was happening with the Britpop or Electronica movements going on at the time. Glastonbury Festival? Never even knew about it until I started watching Much.

Then it all turned to shit when that channel was converted over to a more "US-Centric" programming known as FUSE. Which sucks just as badly as MTV/MTV2 does.
I wasn't sure if anyone else here remembered this. I did like that FUSE showed metal videos on Uranium (Juliya is retarded but whatever), something MTV forgot a long time ago.

Side note: Before MM became FUSE, I entered a contest co-sponsored by Flaw and won an AX7221. 2 months after I had sold the one I owned. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I remember (vaguely) around 10 years old and really liking Much Music - it had music I liked. I pretty much stopped watching TV around grade 11 when my mom decided to cut the cable; no biggie, I lived on our PC anyway :(.

I can't remember the last time I thought the latest Much didn't suck. No more Mr. T, very little decent music, and what the hell happened to Much Loud?

At least I can thank them for introducing me to Amon Amarth, New Radicals, Neverending White Lights and Blink 182 :)

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:agreed: Pretty much. Canada had The Tea Party... the world got Justin Beiber. :noplease:
:agreed: As a long time Tea Party fan, who owns every CD, the DVD, and even a rare CD single of "These Living Arms" (which wasn't even an official single :lol: ), I really wish they'd gotten the success they deserved. They did pretty well for themselves, though, and now Jeff Martin's got a new band and a solo career, Jeff Burrows has a new band with former members of I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace, and Stuart Chatwood is responsible for the music in the Prince of Persia games.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts

I agree 100%, I heard of The Tea Party by watching them on MuchMusic. Being non-Canadian, I thought FUSE was MuchMusic now, what it had evolved into. Shows what I know. Either way, there's not a station that plays current modern metal. Sure VH1 plays Dio and Iron Maiden all night and has one of the guys from the old Crank Yankers show (puppets making crank calls) on all the time to talk about music from 30 years ago, but none of that is modern. It was cool the first 9 times they aired Iron Maiden's last show, now it's all they play.

Palladia is the best music channel right now by far, and it still leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's bizarre to me, bad music or not, you'd think viewers would not want to destroy the outlets that they find music through. I mean, where do kids WANT to discover music from? :scratch:
Youtube?

I'm not a kid anymore, but I myself haven't really watched TV in probably 7 or 8 years. The internet has what I want, when I want it. If I want to watch/listen to new or old music I usually go to Youtube.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree 100%, I heard of The Tea Party by watching them on MuchMusic. Being non-Canadian, I thought FUSE was MuchMusic now, what it had evolved into. Shows what I know. Either way, there's not a station that plays current modern metal. Sure VH1 plays Dio and Iron Maiden all night and has one of the guys from the old Crank Yankers show (puppets making crank calls) on all the time to talk about music from 30 years ago, but none of that is modern. It was cool the first 9 times they aired Iron Maiden's last show, now it's all they play.

Palladia is the best music channel right now by far, and it still leaves a lot to be desired.
Seeing it on TV when I was 13, this video did a lot to shape me as a music lover :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts