Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF? I never really listened to this band before and then I heard this song today. Did these guys just straight rip off Faith No More? Then the singer sounds almost exactly like Ian Astbury? This song probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have that jabba jabba jabba rap voice shit throughout the whole fucking thing( of which I think they are ripping off Clutch :lol: ).

Thoughts? :scratch:

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is do you guys like this shit?

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I discovered these guys when I heard their cover of Crazy by Seal.

They're not my favorite, but I'd go see them if they were in town.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
WTF? I never really listened to this band before and then I heard this song today. Did these guys just straight rip off Faith No More? Then the singer sounds almost exactly like Ian Astbury? This song probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have that jabba jabba jabba rap voice shit throughout the whole fucking thing( of which I think they are ripping off Clutch :lol: ).

Thoughts? :scratch:

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is do you guys like this shit?
They have been around a long time and that song is six+ years old. I have to be in the mood for them but I do like some of their stuff, I remember back in they day the riff between them and slipknot because they accused slipknot of ripping off the whole mask thing from them.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
yeah, I've never made it through one of their songs, and I don't plan on that changing.

RUBBISH #notsarcasm

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
They have been around a long time and that song is six+ years old. I have to be in the mood for them but I do like some of their stuff, I remember back in they day the riff between them and slipknot because they accused slipknot of ripping off the whole mask thing from them.
...which is especially ridiculous since they BOTH ripped off Mr. Bungle.

Mushroomhead: founded in 1993
Slipknot: founded in 1995
Mr. Bungle: founded in 1985

Music video from 1991:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Music video from 1991:
FFS it's like an exact copy! WTF?? :lol:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Man, I haven't heard these guys in years. I remember my brother had their album back around 00/01(?), might have been their debut, "Xx" or something like that. They were ...OK for the time, but in hindsight it's pretty cringe-worthy.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I just remembered their old guitarist (the dude with the cool Ibbys) left the band and started another one which is basically Pantera with 7-strings.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts

And they're all ripping off GWAR.

GWAR: founded in 1984

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts

Music video from 1991:
100% this. But worse than ripping it off, Mushroomhead manage to put this awful '90s nu metal spin on it. Maybe it's because I grew up in the '90s, but the first thing that comes to mind when I hear Mushroomhead is Disturbed. I love Bungle, and even with them ripping Bungle/Patton off, I still can't stand it.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I love Mr. Bungle, and what I've never understood is how many nu metal bands cite them as an influence even though they don't sound even remotely like nu metal.

If you've only seen and heard bands like Slipknot and Mushroomhead, you might be surprised to see one of Mr. Bungle's early 90s live shows where they're dressed like what you'd expect to hear Slipknot type music from, but they're playing a huge wide variety of different genres and instruments together in this crazy experimental hodge podge from death metal to klezmer to polka to circus music to doowop to smooth jazz to techno to Middle Eastern traditional music and a whole lot more.

I do like some of Slipknot's stuff, but I've never personally cared much for Mushroomhead.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I never got into slipknot or mushroomhead, I was into Linkin Park, Korn and Mudvayne. A little Adema in there for good measure. Nu-Metal was popular around the same time that I was shown metallica and iron maiden, so I had a solid mix of the classics and the latest (not necessarily greatest).

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Well, here it comes ...

I cannot stand mr. Bungle. Annnnd I kinda dig mushroomhead. Not that it's in my reg playlist, but IDE choose it over bungle anyway

1 - 20 of 23 Posts