·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a music player for PC that will:

Loop sections of a song
Alter the speed of a song
Open an mp3 with it by right-click context menu, like many music players

The last of those three might not seem so important, but, well, it is.

VLC does all of these, but its loop function works pretty badly. It's impossible to establish a exact/rhythmic loop section. I can obviously load songs up in my DAW, but that's way more cumbersome than I'd like.

Any ideas? Audacity comes up as the suggestion when Googling for this, but that's way more cumbersome than I'd like, too. I'm basically looking for VLC, but with a better loop.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I don't know that they exist, but foobar may have add-ons that allow it to.

foobar's just generally very good anyway, get it regardless.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I use Reaper for the first two, but it won't help you on the third...

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I was going to recommend VLC :lol: Why not use Reaper or Audacity?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know that they exist, but foobar may have add-ons that allow it to.

foobar's just generally very good anyway, get it regardless.
Sadly, it doesn't seem to have, and it sounds a bit cumbersome to operate, too. For general playback, I'm happy with WMP, so I'll just stick with that.

I think I'm SOL. I'll have to just use my DAW for the precise stuff and VLC's inaccurate loop.

I was going to recommend VLC :lol: Why not use Reaper or Audacity?
I've been learning songs for the last couple of years, and I can work through them pretty quickly now. I usually learn two or three at a time, and I go back and forth between them all evening. Every night or couple of nights, the songs change. Since I'm doing this so frequently, the little things, like opening the file, changing speed, etc., I'm doing those a lot. If they're a bit annoying, I encounter those annoyances a lot.

Those programs are a bit more cumbersome to use. VLC would be perfect if its loop function worked better, so I was hoping there might be something better out there.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bumping this because Peter (Neznaroz) told me about a program last night that does exactly what I was after, and it's incredibly cool at it. It's called Transcribe - Seventh String Software - the home of Transcribe!. It's not free, but it's only $39, and you get a month's free trial.

It's a pretty simple player that displays a waveform of the track, and you just click your start and finish points for it to loop. You can really easily and quickly isolate the bit you want to loop. This was the most important feature for me, as it's just annoying to do this either manually a billion times, or use VLC's inaccurate loop. You can create multiple loop sections and store them in a sort of clipboard thing to recall and come back to, and you can save that clipboard as a file. You can also slow the track down whilst preserving pitch, and it's incredibly good at interpolating so it doesn't sound all choppy, like most programs do. Pretty darn neat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts