·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
:rofl:

It's funny cause it's true.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I think about the days where I had to drive home from school and hear a cool song on the radio, in hopes of the fact that they would give me a glimmer of information about said band so that I could drive up to the mall and go to Sam Goody and buy said CD.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think about the days where I had to drive home from school and hear a cool song on the radio, in hopes of the fact that they would give me a glimmer of information about said band so that I could drive up to the mall and go to Sam Goody and buy said CD.
Yep. Getting CDs was awesome too - or hell, getting tapes for that matter. I remember my parents taking me to the mall to buy Tattooed Millionaire, and the whole ride home I was so fucking stoked to listen to it.

Then I got home and listened to it. :(

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
It was really hit or miss...

I would hear something I liked, go buy the CD, and the rest of it absolutely sucked.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Yep. Getting CDs was awesome too - or hell, getting tapes for that matter. I remember my parents taking me to the mall to buy Tattooed Millionaire, and the whole ride home I was so fucking stoked to listen to it.

Then I got home and listened to it. :(
I just saw a copy of Tatooed Millionaire at my friends house last night. Plus it has Janick in it. :rofl:

As for OP. I do agree on how true it is. I'm all up for technology but the easy access that it's offered has lowered the patience and attention span of people. I still love the satisfaction of buying CDs and going through the booklet, reading linear notes and just admiring whatever pics and artwork they have on it.

EDIT: I also believe that the easy access has also killed the lost art of making great albums. Nowadays, just download the song, and if the rest sucked, hit delete. :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just saw a copy of Tatooed Millionaire at my friends house last night. Plus it has Janick in it. :rofl:
I was (and still am) the biggest Maiden fan as a kid you could ever even imagine. I went from Seventh Son, to this:

I was fucking crushed. :(

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I think it's safe to say that Chemical Wedding > Tatooed Millionaire.

Kids these days. :facepalm:
Your avatar speaks for itself. :metal:

Also I remember speaking to a friend about Maiden headlining one of the biggest festivals in AU next year. He told his 20 year old bassist to go, for Maiden and other great bands, but his response: "I'm not interested in the old guys". :noplease:

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
I had a Sharp cassette walkman that had to have the door taped shut to actually work.That thing went everywhere with me..until I threw it against a wall for eating my Judas Priest "Sin After Sin" for the 2nd time.

·
18,790 Posts
I went through 2 or 3 walkmen, 3 or 4 discmen, and now have an old iPod nano (which I got for free because someone found it and had no use for it :lol: ).

I remember having a few blank cassettes on the go that I would either record my CDs, friends' CDs, or songs from radio to bring with me on the go.

I remember buying my first stereo, which was the first CD-player in our house, but it also had to have a dual cassette deck so I could copy things, and also so I could hear things all fast and funny :lol:

I remember hearing awesome songs on the radio and never finding out who it was (one I recently found, and figured out why I could never find them even when I knew the name: they were a local band, I was listening to the college radio station, this was pre-internet, that band has since reformed :yesway: ).

I remember having tapes eaten, I remember having to hold my discman a certain way while walking so it wouldn't skip, hell, I remember listening to the radio on my walkman, back when rock radio played songs I liked on a regular basis (it's getting better around here, but still not what it once was), and we had two mainstream rock stations (before one went classic rock, and long before that same station became an "70s, 80s, 90s, and whatever!" station, which plays everything from Nirvana to Abba).

I remember discovering Napster and using it to find unreleased tracks, b-sides, rare songs, bootlegs, and for finding new bands I'd never heard of. I remember getting banned from Napster for downloading Metallica songs (my username's probably on that list Lars is holding in "Some Kind Of Monster" :lol: ) and finding a patch to get me back online.

These days, youtube and myspace (when it works) have taken over much of what I used to use downloading for. If I want to preview something, I stream it. If I like it enough to want to keep a copy around, I buy it.

I still listen to the radio sometimes, but I mainly listen to three things:

-the "acoustic brunch" on Sundays, lots of great stripped down acoustic versions of stuff from the 90s onwards.

-Alan Cross. Anything he does is awesome.

-George Stroumboulopoulos. See above.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Matt Crooks likes Tattooed Millionaire, but hates Rust in Peace. WTF?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Haha, that's awesome.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts