Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you didnt listen to metal when growing up, what did you listen to? Im a product of the 90s and grew up on pop. Yep. I remember going to an nsync concert and first act went on, i asked my mom "is that the spice girls?" turns out it was Britney spears and she was boo'd off the stage by the 3rd or 4th song. It was around 1998. I didnt really listen to much music until i picked up guitar in 2004. And then i discovered crazy train \m/

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I can't remember not listening to metal, but other than metal I listened to a lot of rap and techno.

The first music video I ever saw was "We're Not Gonna Take It" and it was stuck in my head for forever after that.

I'm a product of the 80's, so I really liked Poison, Bon Jovi, Cinderalla, Motely Crue, Ozzy, Dio, Van Halen, etc. as a youngster, and the first two CD's I got were Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" and Iron Maiden "Somewhere in Time".

·
18,790 Posts
Grew up listening to what my parents listened to (Michael Jackson, Genesis, Alan Parsons Project, Chris DeBurgh, etc.) and random other pop, then got into rock through my cousins in the mid-90s, and then discovered Metallica. Combine all of those things, and that explains my current musical tastes pretty well :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I didn't take music seriously until metal. It started about 1982 or so. I got into Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and then I got into music big time.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
The first CD I ever bought was No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom, and I think I have a Wallflowers cassette kicking around somewhere. All of my similarly-aged cousins are girls, so before that I guess I listened to Backstreet Boys and the Jock Jams CDs or something.

Thankfully my uncle set me on the straight and narrow by age 12 or so when he introduced me to Metallica and Iron Maiden, much to my mother's dismay. :metal:

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Lots of reggae: Bob Marley and the Wailers, Desmond Dekker, Gregory Isaacs, and so on. Also, Phil Collins, Queen, David Bowie, Genesis, The Beatles, Kylie Minogue, Michael Jackson.

Pretty much every time I think of music from when I was young and before I got into metal, I pretty much always visualise sitting in the back of the car, driving to beaches around Cyprus with my parents :) Good times.

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
I'm the youngest of 7 kids. My family always had music playing in the house. I started off on the Beatles then was into Kiss by the time I was in pre-school in 77. One of my brothers that plays guitar and piano intoduced me to Steely Dan and the Dixie Dregs around 1980.I remember getting Judas Priest's British Steel for my 10th b-day and listening to Blizzard of Ozz. By then(1982-3) breakdancing and rap was getting popular and everyone of my friends was into it so I was too. In 84-85 it was Motley Crue and hair metal. Then Metallica hit and I moved onto heavier music. Now I just listen to it all.

·
By your command!
180 Posts
Got this from a neighbour when I was 8, that got me started, not really metal but I had no interest in music at all before this came along,

Then at 13, the older brother of a friend of mine got all religious in a bad way and deemed his whole LP collection satanist, and gave it to me. Which landed me this (and about 50 more like them: Sodom, Kreator, Celtic Frost etc.)

After that, this baby was released and I spent the next few years listening to it and similar stuff (untill use your illusion came out and I dropped them for the next batch):

Then I found this: and got into Death/Pestilence/Pantera/Slayer/Cannibal Corpse:

Now we're like 1996 and I'm branching out:

Since the early 90's I have been on a steady diet of Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, Nine inch Nails, Mr Bungle, Paul Gilbert, Primus, Rosenberg Trio, Estradasphere and whatever funky stuff I can find. But this is what got me there.

And of course coming back to where I started with:

Nice though , that where I used to switch music styles over the years, I now listen to all of those bands instead of moving to the next "new thing":

And I find I am one of those guys that I used to hate. You know them : the ones that would say: Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath/Ozzy did the same as your bands do now, but back then music was pure.

Only my bands are from a generation later, who needs Behemoth when you can have Morbid Angel :)

Sorry for the abundance in pictures but I got carried away, nostalgia.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I got my first KISS record in Kindergarten and my first Iron Maiden album the summer between 3rd and 4th grade :flex:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
First band I really remember following was Reo Speedwagon in the early 80's, think I was in 1st or 2nd grade. Then it was KISS. In High school, I was all about Ratt, Dokken, Tony Mac, VH, DLR, all those hair bands along with NWA, Sir Mix-a-lot, EPMD, Ziggy Marley....Very eclectic ....

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
I listened to mostly stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin. That's pretty close to it. I wasn't even that into music till my teens, and I went through genres pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I was born in 1991 so I'm really young! I grew up on classic rock mostly; Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd(commercial), and Hendrix. In 6th grade I got into Metallica and that was all I listened to for two years, and then my freshman year of high school I got into Opeth and pretty much jettisoned the crap that I liked back then, which was something like lots of grindcore and death metal.

Now I love 70's prog, folk music, black metal, jazz, classical, pretty much everything I didn't listen to before. I briefly went through a shred phase, but I can't stand that now.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I started listening to music in late 1979, and my first several months as a fan were spent listening to the soft rock that was popular at the time. Nothing rocks like Dan Fogelberg! :lol:

A few months after that, I started listening to the rock station and got into mainstream rock like the Cars, the Doors, the Doobie Brothers, Foreigner, etc. Led Zeppelin was my 'gateway drug' into metal, and by 1981 I was listening to Sabbath. Maiden and Priest followed within a year or so after that.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The first metal album I ever got was at the start of Freshmen year of high school, Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind. Next landmark album in my musical history was probably Reign In Blood and South Of Heaven in the latter half of that year. Before POM I wasn't really a huge music fan, just listened to what other people my age thought was popular (Nirvana/Green Day/etc.). The only time's I consider my taste in music utterly stupid where

-First half of sophmore year. I went on a huge 60s/70s prog/heavy metal/hard rock/pyschedelic binge. Definitely discovered some cool bands during that time that I still count among my favorites (Deep Purple, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Scorpions to name a few) but I regret wasting time and money listening to most of the shit I did (The Doors, I read a 1000 page Jim Morrison Biography and thought I was cool for doing it :lol:)
-Period Before I discovered Iron Maiden during which I classified Pearl Jam as my favorite band. Yes, I was a pretentious Pearl Jam fan :lol:, I seriously regret being such a huge/douchey Pearl Jam fan more than anything else. What a waste of time and money.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
My musical tastes came directly from my older brother, so it was The Police, Journey, Styx, etc.

Then I got my hands on Number of the Beast. My parents saw the cover, took it away from me and hid it in their sock drawer. Instant awesome if you're a kid, because I had to sneak it out of there when they weren't around and listen to it on my little crappy walkman. :metal:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
My musical tastes came directly from my older brother, so it was The Police, Journey, Styx, etc.

Then I got my hands on Number of the Beast. My parents saw the cover, took it away from me and hid it in their sock drawer. Instant awesome if you're a kid, because I had to sneak it out of there when they weren't around and listen to it on my little crappy walkman. :metal:
:lol:

My mom actually likes metal now. It's weird, she detested it when I first started listening to it, and now she listens to Praises to the War Machine in her car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts