Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge fan of Adam Neely and his absolutely fantastic content, but I think this video is a really good look at the way a lot of people react to music.

When they are talking about most people hating music that is actually very close to what they love rather than a polar opposite, I think the statement from his drummer Shawn Crowder, is a very astute observation 'The opposite of love is not hate, but apathy',

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Half dead? Definitely. Don't be a thumbnail sniffer, this guys content is actually very good and in no way drama'y. He's an abolutely brilliant music educator.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I really like Adam Neely's content, and I watched this video two days ago, but I really couldn't agree with that "hating music that is close to what you like instead of the polar opposite" mentality, since the music that I HATE is Christmas music. Nothing I like is even remotely like Christmas music. In fact, most of the stuff I really like to listen to is the absolute polar opposite of Christmas music. If you asked me why I hate Christmas music so much, I really can't tell you why. I just hate it with a burning, burning passion. After Christmas music, most music that I feel strong enough to "hate" is not so much a genre but more individual artists (for example, I hate Frank Sinatra's music).

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I really like Adam Neely's content, and I watched this video two days ago, but I really couldn't agree with that "hating music that is close to what you like instead of the polar opposite" mentality, since the music that I HATE is Christmas music. Nothing I like is even remotely like Christmas music. In fact, most of the stuff I really like to listen to is the absolute polar opposite of Christmas music. If you asked me why I hate Christmas music so much, I really can't tell you why. I just hate it with a burning, burning passion.
:dillon:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I really like Adam Neely's content, and I watched this video two days ago, but I really couldn't agree with that "hating music that is close to what you like instead of the polar opposite" mentality, since the music that I HATE is Christmas music. Nothing I like is even remotely like Christmas music. In fact, most of the stuff I really like to listen to is the absolute polar opposite of Christmas music. If you asked me why I hate Christmas music so much, I really can't tell you why. I just hate it with a burning, burning passion. After Christmas music, most music that I feel strong enough to "hate" is not so much a genre but more individual artists (for example, I hate Frank Sinatra's music).
THANK YOU. Christmas music sucks outright, but a whole genre of music that's sloppily performed by a million different people every year is the closest thing to Hell I can think of.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I H8 any YT video of someone playing shred exercises with 0 melodic content over elevator music backing tracks, at least use rock tracks you heathens !!! Its like solos done in a Dr. office waiting room.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I...since the music that I HATE is Christmas music. Nothing I like is even remotely like Christmas music. In fact, most of the stuff I really like to listen to is the absolute polar opposite of Christmas music. If you asked me why I hate Christmas music so much, I really can't tell you why. I just hate it with a burning, burning passion.
I think that you hate Christmas music because that's exactly what's lacking - burning passion. A lot of the traditionals are fine as compositions - it's just they're recorded as blatantly commercial cash grabs, and there's no passion invested by the performer in the piece, with EXTREMELY rare exceptions.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm going to go the other way and say I don't get the hate for Christmas Muzak. It's novelty situational music that acknowledges it's novelty situational music. What would you rather have, novelty music masquerading as the most serious artistic statement ever?

I will say though, that I grew up in an extremely remote area with extremely heavy winters and dense pine forests and that kind of shit, the kind of idyllic forest scene the traditional Christmas card idolizes, so I don't find it grating on that count, because a lot of the traditional elements are relatable.

It gets more grating if you are in heavy metropolitan areas with no snow. I think it's a geographic type thing. I don't hear people bitching about it in rural areas with extremely heavy snow nearly as much, but I can definitely recall living in more heavily metropolitan areas and walking into a supermarket near winter when there is no snow in sight and hearing Christmas songs and being like, "this is the worst shit ever".

If you are in an area where people historically used sleighs though and had heavy winters that required using fires constantly in the home, the vast majority of the more traditional stuff is just inoffensive traditional folk muzak.

But Winter is my favorite season and I absolutely love living in places that have at least 3 feet of standing snow during the winter months. :lol: I find the Halloween festivities way more grating. Fourth of July too.

Christmas music is like, yeah, I'm fine celebrating heavy amounts of snow, I live for that shit. I'm from an area where people actually go out in the woods on snowshoes and cut down huge pine trees for Christmas though, so YMMV based on demographics.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Celebrating Christmas in areas where you can actually see the ground fucking sucks though. I have been so fucking depressed every time I've celebrated Christmas somewhere that doesn't look like Christmas.

The traditional Christmas aesthetic, including music, is way more grating if you are from an area where that sort of aesthetic isn't historically correct.

Sleigh rides and boblseds are sick as fuck though. I can understand hating that shit if you are from an area where you've only heard about it in Christmas songs, but out here it's like, "fucking awesome".

I will tolerate no hate on sleighs/the iditarod/bobsleds etc.

If you've never been in a snow coach you are missing out. They use those up near Yellowstone, where I'm from, because there is so much snow there it's the only way to get around in winter.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Celebrating Christmas in areas where you can actually see the ground fucking sucks though. I have been so fucking depressed every time I've celebrated Christmas somewhere that doesn't look like Christmas.

The traditional Christmas aesthetic, including music, is way more grating if you are from an area where that sort of aesthetic isn't historically correct.

Sleigh rides and boblseds are sick as fuck though. I can understand hating that shit if you are from an area where you've only heard about it in Christmas songs, but out here it's like, "fucking awesome".

I will tolerate no hate on sleighs/the iditarod/bobsleds etc.

If you've never been in a snow coach you are missing out. They use those up near Yellowstone, where I'm from, because there is so much snow there it's the only way to get around in winter.

Yes, but none of this excuses Mariah Carey singing "All I want for Christmas is You." :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Yes, but none of this excuses Mariah Carey singing "All I want for Christmas is You." :lol:
Nothing excuses her entire fucking career. :lol:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
This Xmas music does not suck

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Nothing excuses her entire fucking career. :lol:
She has, or had, some fairly staggering range. I just wish she'd done something more interesting with it. :lol:

I guess I agree with the prevailing sentiment of this thread, though - barring blatantly commercial money grabbing swill, there's very little music that I actively HATE. There's plenty that I really don't understand and don't understand why others love it, though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
My mom's side of the family are not American and are from the hardcore oldschool "consider celebrating Christmas Day instead of Christmas Eve 'too Americanized/too modern' " camp. "Opening presents on the morning of Christmas Day fucking sucks, ultra traditional opening presents on Christmas Eve is where it's at. " type people.

So we don't really acknowledge anything after 1938 as "official Christmas media".

Other than the claymation Rudolph special with Yukon Cornelius.

I'm not sure I've ever even heard that song outside of background music on a commercial or muzak in a store.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
She has, or had, some fairly staggering range. I just wish she'd done something more interesting with it. :lol:
The fucking dog whistle notes are alone to write off everything she has ever done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The term hate is such a negatively laden concept. and should be used with great care.
However, I do hate this algorithm-generated shit that designed precisely to get stuck in the neural pathways. And illuminati pop musick.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
I don't get the "uncanny valley" thing. I fucking can't stand hard tuned vocals ("Autotune" as they somewhat incorrectly coin it), but I love the fuck out of vocoder.

It's the timbre of "Autotune" that sucks, not any artificiality. For me, it's more akin to hating fuzz but loving tube distortion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.