Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm part of an online metal community called metal-r.us MRU Metal Forums. At MRU I run a little metal tournament each month called Metal Madness Metal Madness History It's set up similarly to the march madness basketball tournament where teams face off against each other and advance in rounds until it gets down to the final 2. In Metal Madness we battle our favorite songs, albums, and bands. Songs are matched against each other and members of MRU vote on which song they like better and why. At the end of each week a round ends and the winners advance. Youtube videos are used in each battle so people can listen to the song to analyze it. It's been a fun way to listen to metal, discover new bands, and discuss your favorite things about metal music with others.

Heres an example of what a battle looks like Round 2: Enemy Within vs. I'm The Black Wizards

I thought it would be a cool idea to do a "Battle of the Bands" spin on it where unsigned, underground, or relatively unknown bands get a chance to submit their stuff. This would be a good way for you to get people to listen to your music and give you feedback. This could also be good promotion for your music.

In order to be part of this tournament you need to do the following:

1.Register at MRU Metal Forums
2.Have a METAL song uploaded to youtube
3.Submit your song in this thread Metal Madness: "Battle of the Bands" Edition Song Submissions

The submission period will last from Friday August 9 to August 16. The tournament will start early Friday August 16. Voting periods are 1 week long (Friday-Friday). It will be first come first serve (Most likely only 16 bands will be allowed but could be expanded to 32 depending on the response).

You've got literally nothing to lose here.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ok... and what do people have to gain for joining for driving traffic to your forum? What's in it for the winner?

This whole thing feels ...off to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok... and what do people have to gain for joining for driving traffic to your forum? What's in it for the winner?

This whole thing feels ...off to me.
Typically I give each winner a cd or a shirt or something. But in this case it would be just a chance for people to listen to your music. It's not so much about the competition as much as it's a way to discover and discuss to new or old metal music.

It's not my forum and I'm not trying to gain anything. I just thought it would be a fun idea for musicians. In fact if I wasn't already running it over there I would try the idea out over here (it can be a bit time consuming).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts