Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Musikmesse 2011: Orange Amps Dark Terror video demo | MusicRadar.com

Orange Media Release said:
Musikmesse 2011: Orange Amps has announced a new addition to its Terror amp range, the Dark Terror.

The 15-Watt head is Orange's highest gain Terror yet. It's available at the end of May 2011 for £399 with, as the name suggests, a black finish.

Scroll on for the full details from the press release and take a closer look at the Dark Terror here.

"Uncompromisingly brutal"

Menacingly small, easily recognisable, this aggressive little amp comes with a mind blowing sound which combines the shape control of the Thunder series with the weight and size of the monster Terror family.

This Frankenstein like amp has creepy amounts of gain on tap with disturbingly pleasurable responsiveness. It is uncompromisingly brutal, doubtless unhinged, even ferocious!

The Dark Terror is highest gain Terror amp ever and comes with:

• New High Gain Preamp 3 x ECC83/12AX7
  • Valve Driven FX Loop 1 x ECC81/12AT7
  • Four Stages of Gain
  • 15 Watts Class A, Switchable to 7 Watts
  • Weighs in at only 7kg/15lbs
  • A Gig Bag
The Dark Terror is available from the end on May 2011 and priced at £399 (inc. VAT). Hear its distinctive Orange Amp sound and you will feel this mysteriously attractive force pulling you into the shadow of the Dark Terror. It's everything you want from a Black Orange Amp. Prepare to ride the Dark Terror storm.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Same. This has me intrigued and wondering what's in the power section. I have a couple of friends at Musikmesse this year. I think I must request infos. Hopefully it'll get better reviews than anything in the current Terror line.. :/

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
At 15 watts Class A, i'm guessing it's still a single EL-84.
Two EL84s actually, in all likelihood; that's what the original TT ran.

Also, hopefully this sounds more like the bigger Orange heads and less like the original TT, which was kind of fizzy.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I'm gonna need to try one out. ... And thank God, it has an FX loop. WIN. :yesway:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
It's nice to see that amp manufacturers are realizing that it's not just blues guys that want little amps with big tone. I guess we can thank Blackstar for the HT-5, because without it, we wouldn't be seeing things like the Transatlantic, the JCA20, and now this.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Didn't sound all that hot in the video. I'll reserve judgement until I get to play one though.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Anyone else think that sounded like trash?

Maybe it was just the camera's mic, but that rumbly, low end sounded just about unusable. When he shifted the shape knob a little it became bearable. Hopefully this is just a case of old-blues-fart-playing-"metal"-on-a-telecaster-and-not-dialing-in-the-amp-worth-a-shit.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Anyone else think that sounded like trash?

Maybe it was just the camera's mic, but that rumbly, low end sounded just about unusable. When he shifted the shape knob a little it became bearable. Hopefully this is just a case of old-blues-fart-playing-"metal"-on-a-telecaster-and-not-dialing-in-the-amp-worth-a-shit.
Yeah, in that particular video it sounds like muffled shit. I wouldn't buy one based on that clip. But it's just a clip.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
I wouldn't buy one unless I played it :p And the way he had it shaped sounded like an open wah.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
i think this orange looks sweet. if it has some qualities of the higher gain orange heads, i may pick one up.

but that jca22h is making me regret my purchase of the 20h.. but that's how they get you, isn't it
Well, considering it'll likely take them months to get the 22's flowing, I'd say you have plenty of time to enjoy your 20.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts