Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally managed to get these tracks online (we wrote them about a year ago now)! So I thought I'd throw you guys a link, as I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum, great place! :metal:

Cheers,
Rory

The Construct | Facebook
-[The Construct]- on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

EDIT:
Our EP "Titan" is now available for preorder on CD, it's a special numbered edition and 100 will be available! Plus it's £6 + p&p, and international postage is available ;)
Check it out here.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Thanks mate!
Your band is pretty awesome too man! Some cool guitar work.

-Rory
Oh! Thanks a lot for checking us out.

I've been hoping to get a post-metal kinda side project thing going. Not a lotta guys into that sort of thing here, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it seems there is a distinct lack of post metal bands in general, few more popping up latley round these parts though!

Also I've just made the tracks downloadable from the music player on our Facebook page.

The Construct | Facebook

Cheers,
Rory

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
I like the songs so far. The production sounds a little weird to me, i think mostly the drums sound odd to me. are they all hit replaced or a drum machine? I'd like to see this live.

I hear a lot of the neurosis influence here and i can get behind that!

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Good stuff, i like!

Very cool, juicy, guitar sound there - but i agree with Kevin, that the drums (to me especially the bass drum) sound a bit strange.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

Yeah I had to replace the kick drum because it sounded awful, and we had to record the drums over several sessions, and in a bit of a rush, so therefore there were large differences in the tone of the toms and kick. I learned a lot over the course of recording these songs, and the original drum recording was done about this time last year!

I'm really pleased with the guitar sound though, it's all Orange rockerverb with my Parker Mojo.

Cheers,
Rory

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i feel ya there, i'm still learning how to make drums sound half decent. i've had replace many a kick hit. did you guys record and mix it all yourselves?
It really helps when you have a good sounding room I've found!

I engineered all of it myself, recording, mixing, mastering. I also played all the guitar and bass on the songs. A lot of work but totally worth it :)

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Thats cool. I just started to get into all that - and i mean just "recording", not even mixing or mastering ... so i can only imagine how much of work that was. Great work man.

Good to know thats a Rockerverb, we have one available in the studio, and i plan on trying it our for one of the reamping tracks, to mix with the Diezel.

·
18,790 Posts
Good to know thats a Rockerverb, we have one available in the studio, and i plan on trying it our for one of the reamping tracks, to mix with the Diezel.
I'll bet that sounds amazing, since I always think of the Diezels as being a more "dry" sounding amp (though amazing) and more modern and the Orange as being more "raw" and "vintage". With the right cabinet, EQ and mic selections, I'm willing to bet they complement each other nicely.

·
18,790 Posts
Giving a closer listen to the mix, the drums definitely sound a little "muffled" and could use more attack and "punch".

The guitars sound incredible, though, and it does not help my Orange GAS one bit :lol:

Downloaded the EP, it's definitely going in my rotation, though as I'm listening more I keep thinking I'd love to hear some melodic vocals in here. The vocals are fine as is, but more variety would fit the music more, in my opinion.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
By the way, are you guys in drop a or a standard? If you have some tabs of your stuff floating around that would be cool if you could send them to me. This stuff is seriously wicked!

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I'll bet that sounds amazing, since I always think of the Diezels as being a more "dry" sounding amp (though amazing) and more modern and the Orange as being more "raw" and "vintage". With the right cabinet, EQ and mic selections, I'm willing to bet they complement each other nicely.
Exactly that were my thought! :yesway:

Reamping is a blessing here, we can really spend time (and therefor money) on selecting the PERFECT combinations of Amps and Cabs. I'm pretty sure the main amp will still be the Herbert, as it just is the amp fitting perfectly to me, us, our music...i also think that we will use on track with my "normal" settings, and 1 track without mid-cut - what i usually dont play, but on the recording i think it will be usefull.

Then some RAWNESS from the Orange added...mmmh, should be great. :jj:

We also have

.) 2 Mesa Dual Rectis, 1x 3 Ch standard, 1x 2 Ch with EL34 loaded
.) a Laboga Mr. Hector (which, for me, is not really a great amp, but it has some extreme cutting high mids, which can be usefull f.e. if we mix it with the Diezel, because thats the only thing it is missing).
.) Engl Savage 120 - i did already one record with it...not sure if i want to use it again, its one of the better Engls imho, but still too polished.
.) modified Marshall Plexi with SHITTONS of gain...now THAT will be interesting. :metal: esp. in combination with a custom 412, Greenback-loaded.

Other cabs: Krank Revolution 412, Engl V30 412, Orange 412, Mesa 212, Framus Dragon 412.

To be honest, i'm more looking forward to whore with all that gear, than to release the record. :lol:

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds sick, I like it better than Isis :yesway:

That orange sounds huge. :eek:
Wow really? Thanks mate! :eek:

By the way, are you guys in drop a or a standard? If you have some tabs of your stuff floating around that would be cool if you could send them to me. This stuff is seriously wicked!
The first three tracks are in D standard, and the last track is tuned AGCFAD (just the low D string tuned down to A, I think Mastodon use this tuning).

I've not got any tabs of anything, but if you want me to tab any particular riffs I'll have a go for you. I'm pretty sure most of it is in the key of D minor if that helps, though I'm not too good with that side of music theory!

Giving a closer listen to the mix, the drums definitely sound a little "muffled" and could use more attack and "punch".

The guitars sound incredible, though, and it does not help my Orange GAS one bit :lol:

Downloaded the EP, it's definitely going in my rotation, though as I'm listening more I keep thinking I'd love to hear some melodic vocals in here. The vocals are fine as is, but more variety would fit the music more, in my opinion.
After recording with the Rockerverb I sold my ENGL and bought an OR50 40th anniversary. It's a really simple amp (one channel, no FX loop), but it completely slays the ENGL for low gain crunch stuff like this. Also it is fucking LOUD for only being 50 watts, and the louder it is, the better it sounds!

I know what you mean about the drums, but I didn't want them to sound too 'in your face', as I hate the Andy Sneap drum sound and wanted nothing to with it haha. I really like how the snare sound turned out though.

I also agree on the melodic vocals, but sadly none of us can sing. We might have a certain someone doing some guest vocals on the next CD though (ex singer from a certain dutch technical/progressive metal band... I'll say no names incase it falls through!)

The newer tracks I've been working on have a lot more layers of clean guitar, and are more melodic in that sense too, mainly because I've had a lot longer to write them. These 4 were written quite quickly because we had to finish tracking drums before our drummer had to go back to university last summer.

Thanks a lot for your input guys!
Rory

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Dude, awesome. :eek:

Since we're critiquing the production (I find it rather employable overall). I'd like to hear more spaciness on the vocals. You do it a couple of places and it sounds so good. Really though, kick as stuff.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts