Metal Guitarist Forums banner

My band - The Construct - for fans of ISIS, Cult of Luna etc

5K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Ror3h 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally managed to get these tracks online (we wrote them about a year ago now)! So I thought I'd throw you guys a link, as I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum, great place! :metal:

Cheers,
Rory

The Construct | Facebook
-[The Construct]- on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

EDIT:
Our EP "Titan" is now available for preorder on CD, it's a special numbered edition and 100 will be available! Plus it's £6 + p&p, and international postage is available ;)
Check it out here.

#10 ·
Thanks guys!

Yeah I had to replace the kick drum because it sounded awful, and we had to record the drums over several sessions, and in a bit of a rush, so therefore there were large differences in the tone of the toms and kick. I learned a lot over the course of recording these songs, and the original drum recording was done about this time last year!

I'm really pleased with the guitar sound though, it's all Orange rockerverb with my Parker Mojo.

Cheers,
Rory

#13 ·
Thats cool. I just started to get into all that - and i mean just "recording", not even mixing or mastering ... so i can only imagine how much of work that was. Great work man.

Good to know thats a Rockerverb, we have one available in the studio, and i plan on trying it our for one of the reamping tracks, to mix with the Diezel.

#14 ·
Good to know thats a Rockerverb, we have one available in the studio, and i plan on trying it our for one of the reamping tracks, to mix with the Diezel.
I'll bet that sounds amazing, since I always think of the Diezels as being a more "dry" sounding amp (though amazing) and more modern and the Orange as being more "raw" and "vintage". With the right cabinet, EQ and mic selections, I'm willing to bet they complement each other nicely.

#19 ·
Wow really? Thanks mate! :eek:

By the way, are you guys in drop a or a standard? If you have some tabs of your stuff floating around that would be cool if you could send them to me. This stuff is seriously wicked!
The first three tracks are in D standard, and the last track is tuned AGCFAD (just the low D string tuned down to A, I think Mastodon use this tuning).

I've not got any tabs of anything, but if you want me to tab any particular riffs I'll have a go for you. I'm pretty sure most of it is in the key of D minor if that helps, though I'm not too good with that side of music theory!

Giving a closer listen to the mix, the drums definitely sound a little "muffled" and could use more attack and "punch".

The guitars sound incredible, though, and it does not help my Orange GAS one bit :lol:

Downloaded the EP, it's definitely going in my rotation, though as I'm listening more I keep thinking I'd love to hear some melodic vocals in here. The vocals are fine as is, but more variety would fit the music more, in my opinion.
After recording with the Rockerverb I sold my ENGL and bought an OR50 40th anniversary. It's a really simple amp (one channel, no FX loop), but it completely slays the ENGL for low gain crunch stuff like this. Also it is fucking LOUD for only being 50 watts, and the louder it is, the better it sounds!

I know what you mean about the drums, but I didn't want them to sound too 'in your face', as I hate the Andy Sneap drum sound and wanted nothing to with it haha. I really like how the snare sound turned out though.

I also agree on the melodic vocals, but sadly none of us can sing. We might have a certain someone doing some guest vocals on the next CD though (ex singer from a certain dutch technical/progressive metal band... I'll say no names incase it falls through!)

The newer tracks I've been working on have a lot more layers of clean guitar, and are more melodic in that sense too, mainly because I've had a lot longer to write them. These 4 were written quite quickly because we had to finish tracking drums before our drummer had to go back to university last summer.

Thanks a lot for your input guys!
Rory

#16 ·
Giving a closer listen to the mix, the drums definitely sound a little "muffled" and could use more attack and "punch".

The guitars sound incredible, though, and it does not help my Orange GAS one bit :lol:

Downloaded the EP, it's definitely going in my rotation, though as I'm listening more I keep thinking I'd love to hear some melodic vocals in here. The vocals are fine as is, but more variety would fit the music more, in my opinion.

#26 ·
Cheers guys! Thanks for taking time to listen to our music :)

Let me know how you get on mate!

Yeah dude I am really liking this. Since it isn't too technical and crazy, you can just listen to it. This would be great to listen to while studying and stuff. Sometimes, with super technical stuff, I feel like I need to concentrate on it to enjoy it.

I enjoyed this by just listening :yesway:
Thanks mate! One of the reasons I started this project was because I wanted to write much simpler music than what everybody seems to be doing, and as a change to what I was playing in my old band. I've also always been a big fan of music that has a certain atmosphere to it, which is something I definitely couldn't have done in my old band. Plus the fact that I'm not the most technical or speedy guitarist haha!

I like it. I actually recently started writing on a blog for obscure music and I may very well make a post about this.
That would be great! Make sure you post a link to your blog so I can repost it onto our facebook page :)

Cheers!
Rory

#22 ·
only a minute in on the construct and I'm digging it. The kick reminds me of lower-budget punk albums, not a bad thing to my ears.

I think it sounds good, I dig it. I can see the amp being an Orange, after hearing johnny truant's "no tears for the creatures".

Overall I say it's well done, it should be well received, and I look forward to your updates!

PS: If one practices singing, they'd be able to do it ;)

#23 ·
Yeah dude I am really liking this. Since it isn't too technical and crazy, you can just listen to it. This would be great to listen to while studying and stuff. Sometimes, with super technical stuff, I feel like I need to concentrate on it to enjoy it.

I enjoyed this by just listening :yesway:

#27 ·
Obscure Or Otherwise Music

Here it is. A friend of mine on another forum I go to actually started the blog and made a post inviting pretty much anybody on the site who wanted to write for it to do so. In the short time it's been going I've found quite a bit of great undiscovered music, though not all of us on the site have exactly the same musical taste (Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt is actually just lulzworthy imho).

#28 ·
Thanks a ton for that mate! I'll make sure to check out the blog when I have a chance, it's always nice to discover new awesome music.

Also incase you missed it we have 4 songs on our facebook page (currently the only 4 we have recorded), so make sure to check them out! You can also download them for free :)
The link is The Construct | Facebook

Cheers!
Rory

#30 ·
Just a quick bump for anyone that missed this the first time around, but mainly to add a couple of photos from the studio this past weekend!

Lots of meticulous drum tuning and micing, lots of fun.

We tracked drums for two new tracks, and we're planning to get some more drums tracked over the next month or so, to go towards a full length release sometime around new year if things go to plan.

Cheers,
Rory

#35 ·
Hey guys, we need your help!

There's a competition going for the opening slot to this years Damnation Festival in Leeds, some of the bands playing are Dillinger Escape Plan, The Ocean, Paradise Lost and Anaal Nathrakh.

We'd be really grateful if you guys voted for us!

All you have to do is tell them that you want us to play. You can do that by posting on any of these sites:

You can post in this thread on their forums - Damnation Festival Community Forum :: View topic - Rock Sound stage opening band suggestions..

Or on their Myspace - DAMNATION FESTIVAL on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Facebook - Damnation Festival | Facebook

Twitter - http://twitter.com/damnationfest

Cheers guys, it would be a truly fantastic first gig for us if we could get onto this.
Rory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.