Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got a filthy wad of inheretance cash, and after paying off all the debt my wife and i have, grabbing a new laptop for us, and having a nice nest egg in the bank, my wife and I split 10% between us for personal money.

So that brings me to my 28 5/8'' warmoth project.

I'm going to be making my order in the next few days here and am kind of up in the air about what wood choices to go with. I have a bright amp, and i'm looking for a bit of a darker guitar, but alot of the woods i like are toward the brighter end.

As it stands, i'm thinking of a wenge neck with an ebony or zircote board, probably ebony because alot of the zircote i'v seen them use for boards doesnt have the beautiful white streaks in it that i like.

For the body, i'm thinking either swamp ash, mahogany, or walnut body and depending on which of those, possibly a veneer of something else. Maybe mahogany with a walnut veneer so its not too bright but has the classy look of walnut. OR maybe a solid swamp ash body, but i'm not as fimilar with swamp ashes qualitys. Reguardless of what woods I go with, i'm going to stain it a natural color and give it a tru-oil finish.

Hipshot bridge, sperzels or schaller mini locking tuners, and as far as pickups go, i was thinking about trying something different. Perhapse a norstrand(which i know nothing about) or a lundgren.

Has anyone played a wenge neck? I have always wanted a dark wood neck. From warmoths description, it says that the large grain pattern of wenge actually leaves less surface to contact with, hence making it smoother.

Thoughts? Any recomendations?

Edit: Here is a thread from the warmoth forums. This guy has one that is very similarly speced to what i was thinking, so you get an idea for looks.http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=10002.0

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Are you doing a baritone 7 or 6? What tuning?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Its gonna be a 7.
G#,C#,F#,C,F,A,D#
Holy shit that's low. Anyway, I guess I don't have much to contribute other than my baritone (27.7") sounds great, and it's mahogany. But then again it's not that low either. I would think swamp ash would be good for that range, due to the clarity.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think swamp ash would be good for that range, due to the clarity.
Thats kind of what i was thinking too based on what i'v heard about swamp ash.

I have this tuning on my 25.5''ers and it sounds great, but i just know a 28 5/8 will make it sound fucking awesome.

Its all about the brootalz and what not.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Thats kind of what i was thinking too based on what i'v heard about swamp ash.

I have this tuning on my 25.5''ers and it sounds great, but i just know a 28 5/8 will make it sound fucking awesome.

Its all about the brootalz and what not.
Yeah I can definitely tell you that longer scales with lower tunings bring a level of clarity to things that are really pleasing.

As such, I cannot go back to 25.5" scale for low B. It just sounds too good on 27"+

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wenge looks and feels awesome, and the nice thing is it doesn't need a hard finish. However, if you need to sand it or anything, wear a mask and do so outside, and try not to get any splinters. Shit be poisonous.

Stainless frets + wenge would probably feel pretty awesome. Looks like a great idea to me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My Gary Kramer F-1 has a wenge neck, and while I'm not a huge fan of the look of it, it is indeed a smooth and fast wood.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alright, i'v decided. I'm throwing caution to the wind :lol: This is what i'm aiming for.

I'm getting a flame maple neck with a flame maple board, swamp ash body.

Question:is this a transparent red finish, or a stain with a clear finish? I'm shooting for the same look, and the dye at stew-mac can be used directly on wood, OR in the nitro.
It looks like a tran-red clear over an un-dyed body, maybe some dark grain filler too?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah dude, go for that. Looks like it might have some grain filler, but that red transparent is sexy with the maple board. You must!

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah dude, go for that. Looks like it might have some grain filler, but that red transparent is sexy with the maple board. You must!
So it is a trans finish and not stained wood with a clear coat?

And yea, its hot, i LOVE the flamed maple look on the headstock AND fretboard. And i never get inlays, so it will just be a lot of pretty wood.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Definitely dark grainfiller. Ash grains aren't that dark in the raw board.

Also, I thought you were going to buy that (very sweet-looking) PRS for a minute there.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
:yesway:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They told me about 4 to 6 weeks, but probably sooner. Oh, and they dont drill for a hipshot, so for simplicity, i went with the Gotoh they offer. Its solid brass with plating, so i figured its as good as the hipshot tonewise(and a bit cheaper) and a comparable brand.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Elysian is doing a group buy on Hipshots that are designed to retrofit the Ibanez 7X21 flat-mount bridges, which i think are the same as the Gotohs. If you're interested, drop him a line.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elysian is doing a group buy on Hipshots that are designed to retrofit the Ibanez 7X21 flat-mount bridges, which i think are the same as the Gotohs. If you're interested, drop him a line.
Hmm, thanks for the info darren. I havnt actually ordered the Gotoh yet, so i'l message adam and see.

I assume the flatmount gotoh fits a 7x21?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts