Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the stock Carvin bridge pickup in my DC747 for a Dimarzio D Sonic 7. It's made a little improvement but it just doesn't have the clarity or 'push' that I'm after.

I'm after something that can give me the clarity and punch that my Warmoth Strat has (it's totally different compared to the Carvin but still), so what is out there? Anything not Bareknuckle would be great.

Is there something like a L500XL in 7 string form?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
What body wood? I know you said anything but BKP but I have aftermaths in my Carvin CS4 (mahogany) and they rip.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's alder wings with a maple neck and quilted maple top. I've considered the Painkiller, which I've had before but they're so expensive.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Clarity + Punch = Alnico V imo. Something medium to hot, so either the SD Sentient or Pegasus?

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Since I just installed that Fishman Devin Townsend set, I’m gonna be raving about them for a while. I couldn’t decide between active or passive as I hadn’t played actives in 20 years and wasn’t always a fan of EMG’s. These are pretty fuckin’ rippin’ and you’ve got the option to go between Active, Classic (passive) and Split Coil + Passive. No annoying high/mids that I always experienced with EMG’s.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Carvin DC-7's are tough to get to sound right. I owned a couple of them years ago, and they have this harsh high-mid thing going on that's tough to get rid of. One of the ones I had was a phenomenal player, but I just couldn't get the tones I like out of it.

I suggested the Suhr pickup because it's just a great, well-balanced pickup.

The best choice from my overall recent experience might be if you could get Wolfetone to wind you a 7-string Timbre Wolf. The TW gives you exactly what you need to emphasize for a Carvin 7 and doesn't further exaggerate the high mids. That'd be my first choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts