·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Nice!! I've been playing my H/S/S Socal for the last 2 hours
Man I love these guitars

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Top mount floyds have around a 3° neck angle so the floyd sits about 1/8"-3/16" off the body when setup level.
I know, hence the use of shims between the block and the plate. That was more my question, as with my ESP top mount I have two plates under the bridge to make it flush with the body.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I have never heard of this, pics?
I have a few of these around because it gives full contact with the body

Original Tremolo Block Shim | Floyd Rose Original Tremolo Block Shim

It was inspired by an article years ago about the original Frankenstrat and when
Eddie installed the first Floyd and it was too low to get proper action with so he used a Quarter with a hole drilled in it to prop the bridge up. The one you see above the bridge here

Then when I got my first ever flat mount Floyd as a teen and took it to the music store for a setup that's what they did, install a second plate to raise the bottom of the bridge.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I have a few of these around because it gives full contact with the body

Original Tremolo Block Shim | Floyd Rose Original Tremolo Block Shim

It was inspired by an article years ago about the original Frankenstrat and when
Eddie installed the first Floyd and it was too low to get proper action with so he used a Quarter with a hole drilled in it to prop the bridge up. The one you see above the bridge here

Then when I got my first ever flat mount Floyd as a teen and took it to the music store for a setup that's what they did, install a second plate to raise the bottom of the bridge.
Shit, I never thought about that!

So for example, I could get a Warmoth topmount Floyd body and then get a couple extra shims to get it dive-only? Because the angle in the pocket makes the bridge floating in the air which basically makes the top-mount idea pointless to begin with, unless somebody finds it more comfortable, maybe.

However, regarding the Frankenstrat; I mean... The coin is NOT EVEN UNDER THE BRIDGE?!? :ugh: I have wondered this for years but never ask... How can that coin help anything when it's not even close to the bridge? I seriously can't understand the point. Did he have it under the bridge once upon a time and then decided to take it away and just drill it there for the visuals? I'm confused here haha :ugh:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Shit, I never thought about that!

So for example, I could get a Warmoth topmount Floyd body and then get a couple extra shims to get it dive-only? Because the angle in the pocket makes the bridge floating in the air which basically makes the top-mount idea pointless to begin with, unless somebody finds it more comfortable, maybe.

However, regarding the Frankenstrat; I mean... The coin is NOT EVEN UNDER THE BRIDGE?!? :ugh: I have wondered this for years but never ask... How can that coin help anything when it's not even close to the bridge? I seriously can't understand the point. Did he have it under the bridge once upon a time and then decided to take it away and just drill it there for the visuals? I'm confused here haha :ugh:
It was originally under the bridge, hence the 3 holes. This picture here you can see it's just under the low e corner of the plate to raise it up.

It's not a big issue with the Schaller version of the trem as it has a baseplate that's case iron and twice as thick.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
:scratch:

Shims between the base plate and block just lower the block so you can raise the bridge and not have the springs rub inside the cavity.

They won't do anything to help you set it up for dive-only, but will allow you to get a top-mount bridge higher above the body for more floating action.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
:scratch:

Shims between the base plate and block just lower the block so you can raise the bridge and not have the springs rub inside the cavity.

They won't do anything to help you set it up for dive-only, but will allow you to get a top-mount bridge higher above the body for more floating action.
Depends on the guitar. Most of mine that have flat mount trems have the shim resting on the body like this one because of the shallow nature of the route.

However in cases where it doesn't fit that way, I've used shims the width of the base plate so that it sits on either side of the route.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shimming the baseplate crossed my mind, but the way I have my trem set up (treble side lower than the bass side) I was concerned about the amount of uneven pressure on the paintwork underneath and how it might dig in if I were to let go of the trem suddenly after a dive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts