Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, not like I ever use the thing, right? I had been doing a bit of recording the other day, and was looking forward to doing some more today, but when I logged onto my computer this morning I noticed that the front panel light was dark - no blue to signify it was connected, or red to signify that it wasn't. Power switch is still on, it's still plugged in, and the power strip it's plugged into is the one powering the rest of my computer, which is (clearly) running just fine.

Do I have an 8-input paperweight on my hands, or do you guys have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
They do this a lot, apparently - I have one being fixed right now.

It's a flat $75 fee to have Presonus fix it. Check their website.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Check the specs on the power adapter - if it's the same as my FS Mobile, you're welcome to try my plug. Maybe you'll get lucky. :(

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the turnaround time like, Mike?

Chris - ITE Power Supply
Model: U150200AA4
Input: 120VAC 60hz 0.4A
Output: 15VAC 2000mA

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I guess as a secondary question, I'm wondering if maybe I should just consider upgrading the fucking thing, especially if it's a lengthy process to have it repaired.

I was always pretty happy with my old M-Audio interface, barring the number of inputs - anyone have any experience with this?

Buy M-Audio ProFire 2626 | Audio Interfaces & Convertors | Audio Interfaces | Musician's Friend

Also, Chris, you use one of these, right?

Buy MOTU 8pre 16x12 FireWire Audio Interface | Audio Interfaces & Convertors | Audio Interfaces | Musician's Friend

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm actually fairly happy with my recorded tone these days, but better quality preamps (not that the Firepods aren't pretty good) do seem to make a pretty big difference.

I'm thinking of just sucking it up and grabbing something else by the end of today, then trying to get the Firepod repaired and selling it or giving it to my dad to work with. I'm leaning towards that M-Audio simply because the Firewire 410 I used to own was really pretty solid. Anyone have any experience with something else comparably priced I should look at instead?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The new preamps in the firestudio project are great fwiw. If you really wanna spring for nice, Allen and Heath Makes a sweet 42 channel mixer with USB lol

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so the consensus is spending more for something with better pres would be a waste of time unless I'm prepared to drop a LOT of cash?

depending on how much you want to spend, I'm very VERY satisfied with my tc impact twin
That's about what a Firepod goes for, and the fact it doesn't have 8 pres is kind of a dealbreaker.

EDIT - though, what worries me is this is the second relatively major issue I've had with the thing in 2-3 years, and one channel of my BlueTube pre seems to have gone all staticy on me, too. Is durability/reliability kind of a concern with Presonus stuff?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yep. I like the firestudio mobile over the fo10 though as you get more routing control. Theres an open box on mf for like 380 or something

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It got bored and committed electronic seppuku?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...and, having done some more reading around here, seems there's a lot of dissatisfaction with M-Audio drivers.

So, the Firestudio Project can be daisy-chained with a Firepod, right? And it's had a preamp upgrade since the Firepod... Maybe I should just grab one of those, get the FP fixed, and then I'd have access to 16 tracks at a time, down the road... :shrug:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Yep. Go for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
I upgraded from presonus to mackie and heard a difference. though i also when from a firepod to the 1640i. Its a full analogue mixer with the digital converters at the end. has eq built in, is pretty big. it sounds awesome though. my new vocal chain is the best i've ever gotten vocals to sound.

sm7 - la610 - mackie 1640i - computer.

vocal chain sex.

i find the presonus pres to be lacking in the high end, they seem a little brittle when you compare them. It's a fairly subtle difference unless you're looking for it probably.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts