Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Drew, I know you just got yourself an interface, but I just saw THIS.
Sweeeeeeeeeet! Is it Firewire? If so, I'm sold! I can just put it where my bed is, because true genius never needs to sleep! :woohoo:

Man, I wish I had that kind of a budget...

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Well, fuck that shit. What kind of junk are you trying to push on me anyway, Matt? :noway:

Discussion starter · #49 ·
why the usb-phobia in the first place?
It's totally arbitrary. :yesway:

(seriously, I'm a litle fuzzy on the exact arguments, but my understanding is Firewire is superior for two reasons. One, it offers faster transfer speeds/more data at once than USB, and two, USB relies partly on your CPU whereas Firewire does not, so the CPU drain will be lower)

(three, "Firewire" just sounds badass, while USB sounds kinda geeky. :D)

Drew,

Sorry to bump this back up, but how are you liking the M-Audio? The two firewire inputs on my Firepod that I've had 5 years now finally broke so it will not link to my computer anymore. I'm trying to decide if its worth sending the unit back to the company to get fixed or if I should just upgrade myself.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Drew,

Sorry to bump this back up, but how are you liking the M-Audio? The two firewire inputs on my Firepod that I've had 5 years now finally broke so it will not link to my computer anymore. I'm trying to decide if its worth sending the unit back to the company to get fixed or if I should just upgrade myself.
I was wondering why this got bumped. :lol:

I haven't really gotten to play with the preamps on the interface much yet, but my initial impression is pretty damned positive. I've just done some acoustic stuff on them, and they seem to sound great - I've read a few reviews that suggest they might be a hair on the darker-than-quite-perfectly-neutral side, and initially I'll say I don't think I'd disagree with that assessment, but as far as I'm concerned that's not a bad thing. They sound great to my ears, are dead quiet, and seem to have a ton of usable gain (though the taper is definitely focused towards the very end of the knob's range, it seems, where suddenly it gets louder fast.)

I can't say I've compared it to either the new FP10/FPStudio's pre's or really much of anything else in the price range, but in the limited amount of playing I've gotten do to I'm really happy with the sounds I'm getting.

:agreed:

Would upgrading yourself fix any PEBKAC issues?
No, I'm pretty sure I know how to hook up a device to a firewire port and install drivers on my computer, but thanks for the help. Especially when the sync light flickers from blue to red when I wiggle the cable in the jack on the back of the Firepod. :squint:

I was wondering why this got bumped. :lol:

I haven't really gotten to play with the preamps on the interface much yet, but my initial impression is pretty damned positive. I've just done some acoustic stuff on them, and they seem to sound great - I've read a few reviews that suggest they might be a hair on the darker-than-quite-perfectly-neutral side, and initially I'll say I don't think I'd disagree with that assessment, but as far as I'm concerned that's not a bad thing. They sound great to my ears, are dead quiet, and seem to have a ton of usable gain (though the taper is definitely focused towards the very end of the knob's range, it seems, where suddenly it gets louder fast.)

I can't say I've compared it to either the new FP10/FPStudio's pre's or really much of anything else in the price range, but in the limited amount of playing I've gotten do to I'm really happy with the sounds I'm getting.
Thanks, I may look into getting one of these then. I like having 8 preamps since my laptop has been turned into a mobile recording rig on more than one occasion, so I'd really like another device with just as many preamps built in. Darker is also intriguing since the Firepod pre's always seemed a little on the brighter side for me.

No, I'm pretty sure I know how to hook up a device to a firewire port and install drivers on my computer, but thanks for the help. Especially when the sync light flickers from blue to red when I wiggle the cable in the jack on the back of the Firepod. :squint:
Nah, sorry for the misunderstanding, I know your Firepod's actually boned, I just meant it sounded like you were saying that you were being upgraded, rather than the gear :lol:

Nah, sorry for the misunderstanding, I know your Firepod's actually boned, I just meant it sounded like you were saying that you were being upgraded, rather than the gear :lol:
Not a big deal, I'm cranky anyways today. Maybe I can upgrade myself with some talent... that would help out. :rofl:

I also fired off an email to Presonus to see what the turn around times are. If its only 75 bucks to get it fixed and won't take 2 months, thats probably the better part of valor for right now.

Not a big deal, I'm cranky anyways today. Maybe I can upgrade myself with some talent... that would help out. :rofl:

I also fired off an email to Presonus to see what the turn around times are. If its only 75 bucks to get it fixed and won't take 2 months, thats probably the better part of valor for right now.
FWIW, mine took two weeks, shipping time included.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
:lol: Check the dates, Angel - this was back in June. I'm now the happy owner of a M-Audio Profire2626.

The Firepod is a great unit, and I'll probably repair it and either hold onto it as a back up or sell it or give it to my dad or something. I got several good years of service out of it, it's quiet, clean, and affordable, especially if you got yours used.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.