Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I rippity rhymes, da rhymes dat I rip
217 Posts
Still better than the macbooks. That sucker is like a sticky-sweaty hotplate just chillin on your lap, all sorts of nastiness goin on with that.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
My iMac isn't that hot. Aaron - do you have SMCFancontrol? Turn your fans up man!

My MBP is kind of hot, but NOTHING compared to my Dell E6500. You could roast marshmallows on the thing. :lol:

·
I rippity rhymes, da rhymes dat I rip
217 Posts
SMCFanControl FTW! I love this little app. Anytime I'm doing anything intensive like CS5 or auido/video stuff I set it up on Sub-Zero (my max setting) and everything stays pretty smooth. There's no point in waiting for the cpu to get up to baking temperature before the fan finally gets its butt above the lowest setting.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Chris said:
My iMac isn't that hot. Aaron - do you have SMCFancontrol? Turn your fans up man!

My MBP is kind of hot, but NOTHING compared to my Dell E6500. You could roast marshmallows on the thing. :lol:
Now that I'm aware of this possibility I'm going to do this :lol:

It just heats up my whole room.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
SMCFanControl FTW! I love this little app. Anytime I'm doing anything intensive like CS5 or auido/video stuff I set it up on Sub-Zero (my max setting) and everything stays pretty smooth. There's no point in waiting for the cpu to get up to baking temperature before the fan finally gets its butt above the lowest setting.
Yup. I have three presets I use. Normal (duh), High Heat (gaming, encoding) and a Summertime one thats a bit higher RPM than normal. I usually run around ~105* constantly.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Yup. I have three presets I use. Normal (duh), High Heat (gaming, encoding) and a Summertime one thats a bit higher RPM than normal. I usually run around ~105* constantly.
Hmm.....just downloaded this. My Mac Mini is at 118F. What fan speed do you run normally?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
110* is the sweet spot from what I've read on the HTPC forums. I'd run higher, since the Mini is pretty much silent anyway, but I don't know how healthy it is to really let it rip on these tiny fans.

I haven't read many reports of them breaking from people "overspinning" them, but I'd rather play it safe.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
You guys and your working temperature sensors...mine is stuck at 24°C :lol: but my PC being on for almost half a year (174 days) probably has something to do with that lol.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
You guys and your working temperature sensors...mine is stuck at 24°C :lol: but my PC being on for almost half a year (174 days) probably has something to do with that lol.
My computer is also less than 30 years old :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Macs seem to be getting progressively cooler. My MacBook Pro that I just turned into a loaner was an older 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo that would easily roast my nuts. My personal 13"er is the last of the C2D's, and is quite a bit better. My new one is an i7 quad, and it's actually not too bad at all; perhaps the same as my C2D. Pretty impressive given that the 15 also has a Radeon HD something or other card in it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts