Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I play my favorite Warmoth guitar I have no problems getting all the nice overtones and harmonics out of it when I want to. I can do that on pretty much all my guitars... EXCEPT THE JACKSON RR24.

Something must be wrong with it.

I mean I CAN get some pinches out of higher notes but it doesn't sing them like my others, they fade away quicker.

I've tried:

1. Both Original Floyd Rose and Gotoh Floyd Rose
2. Different string gauges and tunings
3. Low and high action
4. Different pickups (original EMG 81 and Irongear Metal Machine)
5. It is PLEKed, but I have also let another guitar tech do additional fallaway leveling on the higher notes

Nothing seems to remedy this problem. It's just very uninspiring to play.
It sounds AWESOME for rhythm guitar and I like how it feels to play but since the higher notes sounds so muffled I rarely pick it up to do anything with it.

First time in a long time was today to record some guest solo for forum member thrashinbatmans project, and for that purpose it worked out well but... Then I tried playing some of my live setlist for upcoming Blazon Stone shows and I couldn't get the right feel in the solos.

I'm really running out of ideas.

I dont want to sell it, because I have spent so much money into PLEK, changing the bridge, so it's far from original shape...
And I wouldn't feel right to sell it without mentioning the issue with higher notes.

Any ideas what to do?? :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some guitars are just duds man. :(
I suppose my RR24 is a dud, because I've tried a lot and I can't get it to sound right.

With high action I REALLY mena HIGH... I raised it so it was like 2.5mm at high E 12th fret. Thats unplayable for me.
But it should let the strings "breath" 100% free. Still didn't solve the issue.

Actually I had the same issue with lower action where it's even unpleasant for me to play.

Its a little annoying I've PLEKed it and put so much money into it.

I bought it from a friend for just $450 and after that PLEKed, upgraded to Gotoh Floyd and put in a Irongear pickup.
So a total of $1100 I think.

I still haven't bought a hardcase for it, so thats a plus, I guess.

Could I even sell it without telling about the higher frets? I'm that kind of person who can't really try to hide stuff from people because I want buyers to know exactly what they get.
And if I tell about it, NOBODY is going to buy it!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
My caparison was like that - some people just aren't that bothered and don't notice this type of stuff though. I sold it and the buyer was very happy with it. My current RR24 doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my more expensive guitars but you get what you pay for. It plays nicely and sounds decent enough and when its mostly getting used for black metal I don't really care too much about pristine HD tone. I actually like that its a bit washy sounding.

I also find that modelers make this sort of thing sound worse. Plug it into a real amp if you aren't already and it will likely sound fine.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Some guitars are just duds man. :(
This. We've all had them. The biggest disappointment for me was an ESP SC7 that looked and pkayed great, but was completely dead.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sell it cheap then or last case scenario, offer it to a person that cant afford a guitar.
I'm thinking about it...

I've done worse decisions I suppose...

At least I've done so many bad decisions when buying guitars I hope I wont have to do it again.

You see I would LOVE to sell all guitars (except my favorite Warmoth, it has a very sentimental value) but I just can't justify the loss for all PLEKs, stainless steel refrets and shit I've gone through on all. Not to mention all mods I've done which has ruined every last bit of resale value on all of them.

you get what you pay for.
This is NOT a rule.

Some guy in a band came to my homestudio with a Jackson JS series dinky (the absolute cheapest 22 fret one) and that guitar COULD SING.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it, it even stayed in tune during most of the sessions!

I also find that modelers make this sort of thing sound worse. Plug it into a real amp if you aren't already and it will likely sound fine.
I HIGHLY doubt that would make any difference. It sounds this way acoustically too. So it has nothing to do with the electronics.

I'm selling my 5150 by the way, then I'm finally 100% digital and FREEEEE :flex:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Like already said, im sure someone will LOVE the guitar and see no wrong on it. Offer it, you will fell great knowing you are helping someone that cant afford one and forget what you spent, its past, gone.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Eh, sometimes, a guitar seems to have it all, but it just doesn't "sing". While this often comes donw to the body wood, it's rather an ensemble of things, IMO. If you record and gig with it, I can understand the need to get rid of it. I've kept some guitars in the past that were just too damn fun to play and were just kinda lifeless, but I didn't need them for "profesionnal duties". You gotta choose what's more important for you in the end, I guess.

I'm selling my 5150 by the way...

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
This is NOT a rule.
False, if I go into my local store that has a wide selection of quality and not so quality guitars i could spend hrs taking mid level shitpiles off the wall and finding them to sound exactly the way my jackson sounds until i find one that sounds good. I could do the exact same with Suhr and Mayones guitars although it would be the opposite. I would spend the hrs finding the shitpile.

Im not saying all cheap guitars are shit. Or that all expensive guitars are good. Im saying that on average, if you spend more, you get more.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I agree, but you just proved yourself that it's not a rule ;)

Anyway, the point is that "you get what you pay for" is a stupid oneliner because it's not always true. And what you described, is exactly why I think it's stupid to say.

Sure, in some cases it might be true, like... You can pay $50 for a chinese Floyd Rose copy or a $250 for a german Floyd Rose Original... Of course 10 times out of 10 the German will be a better piece of hardware.

But thats just one guitar part. On a while guitar there's so much that can go right or wrong.

Just look at this, a "pile of shit" guitar I did for fun a couple of years ago:
Plywood body + dustboard + old Fender saddles with plastic shims

Guess what? THAT GUITAR WAS SINGING INCREDIBLY WELL!
And it had great sustain too.

The only problem was that I hated how it looked, so I throw that shit away a few days later.

But the sound and feel of it was incredible.

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
well what do you need in order to achieve sustain? you need the strings to be attached to a solid object. the more solid, the more they will reverberate. The string vibrating is it releasing kinetic energy that you gave it when you plucked the string. Average scenario, it gets absorbed by the body, air and magnetic field created by the pick up. if the material of the guitar is not solid enough, its going to absorb the string's vibration faster and the string won't continue to ring.

-it could be the way that the mounting hardware is attached. perhaps something isn't tight enough or the wood is too soft around the bridge or other such hardware.
-it could have a gap in the neck pocket between the end of the neck and the body.
-it could be any other area of the guitar that's soft or lose or otherwise would kind of "steal" the kinetic energy from the string.

is it a neck thru or bolt on?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
This. We've all had them. The biggest disappointment for me was an ESP SC7 that looked and pkayed great, but was completely dead.
I never heard or played the thing obviously, but the way you described that to me one time was so vivid that it's still the story that comes to mind first when I think "dead guitar".

1 - 20 of 64 Posts