Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2012 non-retina MBP with an SSD. I was using it normally the whole evening and it seemed fine. I went to change my desktop and the Finder kept freezing. When I rebooted it, I got the file folder with the question mark in it, and it won't boot.

I tried booting with Option held and it opens up Internet Recovery, but that just leads me to a window telling me I need to use Time a Machine or the OS disks to do a recovery. But, of course, Apple stopped giving you the OS disks.

I tried repairing the disk, but it tells me it can't repair the disk and that I need to back up my hard drive before I format it.

What should I do from here? Can I back up my hard drive when the computer won't boot normally? And does this mean I have to buy a physical copy of Lion?

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I'm not a Mac guy, but this has all the hallmarks of a failing SSD, unfortunately. If that's the case, see if you can find someone better at data recovery to pull something off. When SSDs fail, they go from shitty to paper-weight pretty quickly.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hunted around the disk utility and got invalid node structure. :noway:

My warranty is up, of course, so it looks like I'll be hard drive shopping soon. My dad has a Mac, too, so hopefully he can make me a recovery disk on a flash drive so I don't have it order the DVDs from Apple.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Nice. :yesway: The boots with the SSD are crazy fast, eh? I've had my 13" non-Retina for around two years now, and I still go "holy shit" when I start it up. I can boot it up and have an app open in seconds.
:fawk:

:wub:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts

My warranty is up, of course, so it looks like I'll be hard drive shopping soon. My dad has a Mac, too, so hopefully he can make me a recovery disk on a flash drive so I don't have it order the DVDs from Apple.
Honestly, what I'd attempt at this point is to image the drive onto a known functional disk and pray it holds out long enough to get a clean copy. I've had success with file system repairs on imaged drives where the failing drive was too far gone to even attempt.

Reactions: Phil

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man. :yesway: Thankfully I manually back up what's important regularly, so if I lose everything, it means I'm just losing a couple small batches of photos and my wallpaper collection. Maybe some school stuff, but I'm done the year at least. If this happened two weeks ago I'd be screwed, so I should be thankful it happened between school and wedding season.

I guess it's as good a time as any to get some more ram while I've got the chassis open. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I've got a 2012 non-retina MBP with an SSD. I was using it normally the whole evening and it seemed fine. I went to change my desktop and the Finder kept freezing. When I rebooted it, I got the file folder with the question mark in it, and it won't boot.

I tried booting with Option held and it opens up Internet Recovery, but that just leads me to a window telling me I need to use Time a Machine or the OS disks to do a recovery. But, of course, Apple stopped giving you the OS disks.

I tried repairing the disk, but it tells me it can't repair the disk and that I need to back up my hard drive before I format it.

What should I do from here? Can I back up my hard drive when the computer won't boot normally? And does this mean I have to buy a physical copy of Lion?
If your Mac didn't come with disks, you can recover from the Internet. If it's telling you that, are you sure you don't have the disks still in the box somewhere?

Best thing to do is to take your Mac to your Dad's, connect a FW800 cable, and boot your Mac into Target disk mode by holding down the T. Download Super Duper, and make a complete disk image file on your Dad's Mac. Replace the SSD, and do a fresh install of the OS, then mount the disk image and copy your data back.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the internet recovery but didn't think it was doing anything. Does it know to download the right OS startup?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I tried the internet recovery but didn't think it was doing anything. Does it know to download the right OS startup?
Ugh, it's been awhile, man. Let me try it on a Mac laying around and get back to you later. Should be able to. 2012 model, non-retina? I think we've got one here to try. I did do it on my wife's 2011 MBP13 non-retina, and it worked, albeit damn slow.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh, it's been awhile, man. Let me try it on a Mac laying around and get back to you later. Should be able to. 2012 model, non-retina? I think we've got one here to try. I did do it on my wife's 2011 MBP13 non-retina, and it worked, albeit damn slow.
Thanks man. :yesway: I'm not too worried about file recovery, because all my important stuff is backed up. I just need a computer that works reliably. I don't mind doing a clean install of OS X, because I probably had apps I wasn't using enough bogging things down anyway.

I don't think the SATA type matters as long as I don't under-spec the SSD, so worst case I pay more than I absolutely need for one that's faster than my computer needs. I can live with that if it happens. I read that some are more Mac-friendly than others, just trying to figure that part out now.

My dad's the IT director at the college in my home town, so he should be able to get me one for a bit cheaper. He said he found a 6.0Gps, 256gb SATA 600 SSD for around $200. I forget which, but he said it was either Toshiba or Hitachi, which Apple apparently uses. I'm about ready to tell him to order me one.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Thanks man. :yesway: I'm not too worried about file recovery, because all my important stuff is backed up. I just need a computer that works reliably. I don't mind doing a clean install of OS X, because I probably had apps I wasn't using enough bogging things down anyway.

I don't think the SATA type matters as long as I don't under-spec the SSD, so worst case I pay more than I absolutely need for one that's faster than my computer needs. I can live with that if it happens. I read that some are more Mac-friendly than others, just trying to figure that part out now.

My dad's the IT director at the college in my home town, so he should be able to get me one for a bit cheaper. He said he found a 6.0Gps, 256gb SATA 600 SSD for around $200. I forget which, but he said it was either Toshiba or Hitachi, which Apple apparently uses. I'm about ready to tell him to order me one.
I did get it to load on a blank drive, 2011 MBP13, from the Internet recovery. Thing you have to make sure of is that you have connectivity, otherwise it won't detect Internet Recovery as an option, it seems.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, thanks. :yesway: My dad said he held off ordering it to email his rep and see what I'd specifically need for my model. Within reason, I'm not too too concerned about price, mostly just getting it up and running again.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like a new SSD + system format should absolve me of any issues. I read that it's not always a corrupted hard drive, but when it's not, it just requires an OS reinstall, so I'll be doing that anyway. As long as I don't run into troubles, this is probably actually for the best - it was the best possible timing for my computer to fail, and I could really use the extra storage of a 256GB hard drive, especially with wedding season coming up.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quasi-necrobump.

Jeff is a gentleman and a scholar, and sent me a flash drive with the OS X boot disk and drivers. I just picked that up in America this afternoon, and my SSD showed up. I work at 6 today, so if my dad had time before I'll see if we can get the SSD installed, and I'll have ago at installing the OS tomorrow.

Thanks again, Jeff. :yesway: I'll return the flash drive with a folder of nudes.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Quasi-necrobump.

Jeff is a gentleman and a scholar, and sent me a flash drive with the OS X boot disk and drivers. I just picked that up in America this afternoon, and my SSD showed up. I work at 6 today, so if my dad had time before I'll see if we can get the SSD installed, and I'll have ago at installing the OS tomorrow.

Thanks again, Jeff. :yesway: I'll return the flash drive with a folder of nudes.
No problem dude. Keep the drive, it'll come in handy from time to time. But you can upload that folder to Dropbox or something. ;)

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still haven't done it yet. :lol: :noplease:

They changed my schedule up at work, and I've had all late shifts, so I've been working every day my dad's been free. The plan is to work on it tomorrow before my shift. I just want to work on physically replacing it with him, which shouldn't take long. After that I should be fine on my own.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts