Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Actually, that count's a bit off, as this Chris has finished many albums, and Adminishredder Chris is still working on his :D And, if we want to get technical, Drew did finish an album once, like 11 years ago, and I'm not sure Admin Chris has ever finished one. :scratch:
:sniff: :sniff:

Yep, I smell a simmons coming.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Ahh, well I meant jacksonplayer Chris, seeing as it is his thread :lol:

Being newer I'm not aware of all these previous albums, but if anything it just put Drew deeper into the hole :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a lot of guitar synth I'm hearing so far on the first track? I'm digging it so far :yesway:
Thanks!

Actually, that's keyboard synth doing the violin sound. I can't make guitar synth work for solo parts. The tracking just isn't good enough even with the Axon converter. Solos are either glitchy or really dumbed down. It works better if you mix it with real guitar, since you don't notice the glitches as much.

The woodwinds and trumpet on this album are all performed with the Yamaha WX-5 electronic wind instrument.

BTW, this is actually my sixth Council of One album. To be fair, improvisational music is easier to record quickly. Most professional jazz albums are recorded in just a few days, and many of the classic ones were done in a single session.

·
18,790 Posts
Actually, that's keyboard synth doing the violin sound. I can't make guitar synth work for solo parts. The tracking just isn't good enough even with the Axon converter. Solos are either glitchy or really dumbed down. It works better if you mix it with real guitar, since you don't notice the glitches as much.

The woodwinds and trumpet on this album are all performed with the Yamaha WX-5 electronic wind instrument.
Ah, cool, I suspected the wind samples were done that way :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Dude, that Indian beat is awesome. I would get completely lost trying to play over it. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Chris, I've listened to most of your other stuff, some of it I like and some not so much, but I definitely like this album a lot. It's really sweet "I'm at work" music. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude, that Indian beat is awesome. I would get completely lost trying to play over it. :lol:
"Sati" is in 15/8, but the rest is in good ol' 4/4. Certainly nothing like the crazy Konokol rhythm stuff that real Indian musicians do. Besides, the title 'Hidden Element' refers to the fact that there are certain things I worked with (like drum beats) that aren't present in the final mix. Smoke and mirrors. :lol:

Les Paul?
My Heritage was used for the little chimey arpeggio bit at the beginning of "Sati," but that's it for the Les Pauls. I was hoping to use the Noodles Signature Model for that part, but the Heritage on the middle setting had a little more of the nasal quality I was looking for.

Here's the instrument rundown:

--Godin Freeway SA into Roland VG-99 for the acoustics
--Heritage H-157 Les Paul (as described above)
--Heritage Millennium (clean rhythm on "The Shining Land")
--G&L Strat (clean funk riffs on "Sati")
--Steinberger GM2S (leads on "Sati")
--Jackson Futura Pro (bass on "The Shining Land")

So much for my cred as "jacksonplayer", huh? :lol: I was hoping to use a wider variety of my guitars, including some that don't get played much, but this turned out not to be a guitar-heavy album.

Here's the rest of the list:

--Roland XV-5080 synth module (tablas, drums, violin solos, strings, lead synth)
--Roland JD-990 synth module (mellotron, lead synth)
--Yamaha Motif ES-6 (sequencing, acoustic & electric piano, synth bass, guide drums
--Yamaha WX-5 EWI into Yamaha VL-70m module w/Patchman Turbo upgrade (woodwinds, trumpet)

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris, I've listened to most of your other stuff, some of it I like and some not so much, but I definitely like this album a lot. It's really sweet "I'm at work" music. :lol:
Thanks! Hearing that means a lot to me.

Some of my previous albums are pretty crazy, but I'm done with the avant garde for awhile. I'll probably come back to free jazz eventually, and it will work better now that I have a wider palette of sounds to draw from.

I got some of the passion for big arrangements and Indian sounds out of my system with this album, and the next one is going to be strictly guitar fusion. No keys or woodwinds. I've been listening to mostly non-guitar stuff for a couple years, and my guitar chops have unfortunately suffered as a result. My phrasing has gotten better, but my speed is way down. A fusion album is a good way to fix that. Heck, I might even throw in some metal moments. :D

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Love it Chris. But I'm not sure I like your idea about a fusion album, that's what I'm working on atm, and I know I'll be severely outclassed if you release something like that:D

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love it Chris. But I'm not sure I like your idea about a fusion album, that's what I'm working on atm, and I know I'll be severely outclassed if you release something like that:D
You clearly haven't heard the sad state of my fusion chops, lately. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts