Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i thought i would make a new thread for this as its expanding quite a little.

What i plan for this is to basically put up some build manuals for various effects pedals and amplifiers (other than my original designs that im working on)

I have added a very brief and simple post about capacitance effects on tone as my first part of the requests section i am pretty worn out currently though and my head is banging so if there are any huge mistakes please let me know and ill correct them.

I thought this spot could be used mainly for requests etc.

I will say now though i wont be doing any further amps until early next year in which i'll be working on my 18w metal amp (details listed on the blog) and then doing a build report for either a MKIIC+ or a Krankenstein.

Until then though i am happy to do pedals and even pedal builds for people on here and i will document them as i go!

Anyway enough waffle heres the link

DIY Audio

Request so far

Boss HM-2 (schematic searching)
MXR Phase 90 (layout in hand will source parts soon)
MXR Distortion + (verified schematic found)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Boss HM2 clone is always good in my books, but thats as its fast becoming my favourite pedal.
This is actually one thats been on my list for a while i keep scouring the internet for verified layouts etc but i'm having no luck so far but i will keep on looking as its something that i would like for myself.

Oh yes one more thing to note.

Anything that i build on here if its not something i want myself will be posted up in the sales section of here or on ebay if anyone wants it!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Given you are close enough to me, I could probably sort out letting you borrow a HM2 when I get a proper one, or borrowing the Behringer one which is based off it anyway. While obviously a layout is better, it'd give a better idea of whats going on I guess.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah cheers man once i have these next few builds out of the way i'll discuss that with you further. It's very kind of you.

So far i have a Little Angel Chorus i've been asked to do and a Fulltone OCD v3 from various other forums

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well to be honest it depends on how much money it costs and if there is a good amount of information available based on the build.

I have built a MKIIC+ in the past but it was god awful using the mesa schematics.

I currently have a friend that picked one up on ebay and is working on reversing it as we speak.

What do you have in mind?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Modulation effects are a bit more tricky than say overdrives etc but they are perfectly doable.

I have some verified phase 90 layouts to hand if you want me to add that to the list?

I am currently looking at the Dist+

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
That would be fantastic! To be fair, as long as the components aren't going to run me for a huge amount, I have no problem with a little trial and error to try and get things working :p

Again, thank you for doing this. I can't wait to have a crack!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh the components wont be expensive.

Generally the most expensive things in building pedals are the enclosures, jacks & switches & also the shipping can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

I was going to build a Klon Centaur for a friend but it has some really odd values and caps that are awkward to find and the only place i could get them was mouser.

Total component cost = £3.14
Shipping = £12.00

Its needless to say that build has been put off until i need to order enough stuff from mouser for it to be worthwhile

·
Socially Awkward
328 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/26.1036; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Would a low-watt solid-state power amp be do-able? I'm just looking for something strong enough to run a preamp through a 1x12.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/26.1036; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Would a low-watt solid-state power amp be do-able? I'm just looking for something strong enough to run a preamp through a 1x12.
With that kinda stuff its generally cheaper to just buy something like a crate powerblock or similar

SS stuff is considerably more expensive & trickier to do for the average DIYer

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
This thread should be stickied. :agreed:

Have you ever done any EH effects like the Small Clone, Electric Mistress, etc?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
How hard is it to make a good reverb pedal? I've been looking at picking up a good reverb pedal some time in the new year, probably a Boss RV-5?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread should be stickied. :agreed:

Have you ever done any EH effects like the Small Clone, Electric Mistress, etc?
Nope to be honest my interest in effects has only been very recent.

beforehand i have just done amplifiers etc.

Is there any inparticular that stands out?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
How hard is it to make a good reverb pedal? I've been looking at picking up a good reverb pedal some time in the new year, probably a Boss RV-5?
I've had trouble finding ones that aren't digital, but I"m sure there is some analog way to do it. The only analog reverb circuits that I've found involve reverb tanks. I would LOVE to have an analog reverb circuit explained to me sans reverb tank!

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Nope to be honest my interest in effects has only been very recent.

beforehand i have just done amplifiers etc.

Is there any inparticular that stands out?
Anything EH builds. I love their effects. I'd love to find PCBs for them.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reverb pedals are one thing that i haven't been able to find much info on which sucks as this is something i actually need personally.

The only one i've been able to find was based on a Belton Digilog for the reverb emulation

that is using the same reverb tank/emulator

the main problem with this is the Belton parts are pretty expensive.

i will keep you updated on this though as its something im looking out for myself

·
Socially Awkward
328 Posts

Toe-Knee said:

With that kinda stuff its generally cheaper to just buy something like a crate powerblock or similar

SS stuff is considerably more expensive & trickier to do for the average DIYer
:(

1 - 20 of 58 Posts