Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Seriously.

They aren't nearly as flat as most "studio headphones" so I wouldn't necessarily advocate them for mixing, and it goes without saying that while positioning a mic you're either going to want to use something else or, preferable, record a couple seconds of a "test" clip once you think you've got your mic position sussed out and listen to the playback on your monitors.

But, on the plus side, they have phenomenal isolation, both for external sounds bleeding in, and for the playback bleeding out. Even on a very sensitive mic running pretty hot recording acoustic guitars, I was getting zero bleed while monitoring bass and drums at a pretty comfortable, not-quiet level. These things are more silent, from the perspective of the microphone, than any "proper" headphones I've ever worked with, and block out a ton of external noise, too.

It just feels weird working with something as small and light as in-ear buds. :lol: That said, I'll be buying a second pair so I don't have to grab them off my iPod whenever I want to track.

For those of you more experienced than me, is there anything I'm not thinking of where I would NOT want to use in-ear buds in a studio setting?

·
abides
851 Posts
I've always been impressed by the Skullcandy stuff, their products seem to stand up to scrutiny much better than you would imagine given the fashion-y image they go for.

I hate buying in-ears for general listening, because it seems the more you spend, the more ridiculous the bass and treble response gets. Would you say those are along those lines, or more flat in general?

Nothing wrong with using those for tracking, provided the cable is long enough so as not to be awkward. Might not be the best for mixing though, as you say.

·
18,790 Posts
I'm not surprised, look at how many people use in-ear monitors on stage, that's the inspiration for these style of earbuds that are finally gaining popularity in the consumer market. I've seen lots of guys (even singers) use them in the studio, since it's what they're used to from the stage.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate buying in-ears for general listening, because it seems the more you spend, the more ridiculous the bass and treble response gets. Would you say those are along those lines, or more flat in general?
These look a bit visually different from the set I have, but I'll say that the set I have is the second pair I've bought (the first lasted maybe 2 years of heavy abuse, the second are, well, I don't remember how old, but going strong) and visually the second redesign, and I've been fairly impressed by how musical they sound. I have no doubt they're not flat, but (while admittedly I haven't tried a ton of others), they sound MUCH better than the Phillips set they replaced (which suffered from the hyped treble/low end you describe), which in turn sound way better than the stock iPod ones.

Again, not that I'd ever mix on these. I was just impressed by how quiet they were, and while I haven't tried them with loud distorted guitars yet, they really do reject a ton of outside noise so I'm optimistic.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I can say for a fact, avoid V-Moda earbuds. They all have sooper®-pumped bass, and their cords tend to break with casual use.

Also, be aware that in general, the tight seal amplifies the bass that's going to your brain pretty heavily, as the sound is more directly coupled with your skeleton and thus vibrates your skull a bit.

Good to hear a nice review of the SkullCandy :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, spent some time tracking distorted guitars with these last night. Two pittfals:

1.) The cord isn't nearly long enough, especally if you tend to move while playing. They need an extension.

2.) They're much better at stopping internal sound from bleeding externally than vice versa.

So, let me qualify my original recommendation - these kick ass for any situation where you need to be worried about headphone bleed into the microphones - generally, situations when you're recording quiet instruments, vocals, etc. A guy on another recording forum I read also says he's had great luck using these with drummers, putting shooting-range style ear protection on over the earbuds to block out more external sound and further kill any slight bleed into the overheads. But, for tracking loud electric guitars where bleed isn't really a problem anyway, you're probably going to want something full-sized.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ok, spent some time tracking distorted guitars with these last night. Two pittfals:

1.) The cord isn't nearly long enough, especally if you tend to move while playing. They need an extension.
Five bucks at Radio Shack. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the plan, Chris. :yesway:

Matt - thanks. :yesway: I have a decent set of AKGs, but one ear keeps cutting out so they're slated for replacement if I can't figure out why it's happening. :/

·
Read Only
10 Posts

Matt - thanks. :yesway: I have a decent set of AKGs, but one ear keeps cutting out so they're slated for replacement if I can't figure out why it's happening. :/
Maybe you blew the shit out of one of the channels? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time... :fawk: :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe you blew the shit out of one of the channels? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time... :fawk: :lol:
Blow me.

:(

Which reminds me, I desperately need a new set of monitors. Mine are not-blown, and you're welcome to them as a cheapo set of jamming speakers when I do upgrade, but they're just not that accurate. :/

·
Read Only
3 Posts

Probably a short in the jack. Cut off the jack and solder a new one in, it should work fine.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably a short in the jack. Cut off the jack and solder a new one in, it should work fine.
I'm a retard with a soldering iron. Sounds like a job for Chris! :idea:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm a retard with a soldering iron. Sounds like a job for Chris! :idea:
I can do that. :yesway:

Edit: Or I can just teach you some solder-fu. Ideally, we should both go down to Sherman's place and have him school us. My soldering's pretty good, but Mike's is unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can do that. :yesway:

Edit: Or I can just teach you some solder-fu. Ideally, we should both go down to Sherman's place and have him school us. My soldering's pretty good, but Mike's is unbelievable.
Next time you swing down with a couple guitars for me to set up, I'm gonna put you to work on my 'phones and swapping out the neck pickup on my UV. Got anything going on this weekend? :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I might go to Mike's actually. :idea:

If not, I'm down for swappin' stuff out. The only reason that I don't do my own pickup swaps is because then I need to set it back up afterwards. :lol: We can combine forces! :wub:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might go to Mike's actually. :idea:

If not, I'm down for swappin' stuff out. The only reason that I don't do my own pickup swaps is because then I need to set it back up afterwards. :lol: We can combine forces! :wub:
Deal! :D

I'll actually be gone this weekend - my buddy Jesse and his wife Dianne (you've met them, they live in DC) will be visiting our home town this weekend, so I'm driving out to see them. Maybe some night next week, though?

Update on the 'phones - I pulled out my regular ones (Audio-Technica, as it turns out) last night while tracking VERY loud guitars. No contest, these are better for loud sources when bleed isn't an issue. That said, I'll still be keeping a set of the earbuds around for tracking really quiet stuff - acoustics, hand percussion, vocalists, etc. I think it comes down to the fact that they simply need to put out less volume since they're already basically inside your ear, so there's less ability to bleed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts