Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm not going to go on about my whole production set up so we will cover this need be later on in this forum. I am currently working on helping my friend mix a CD for their metal band. I have never stepped foot in any of this before so I have been reading up on a lot of things and been through numerous books. Granted I learned some mistakes along the way we did but the recording was already finished. Here lies my first issue:

I will provide you a sample of a track that has 2 guitar tracks recorded on it. Yes I know we should have multi tracked but I found this out way later. (everyone's gotta start somewhere) Anyways, I have two questions:

http://www.soundcloud.com/cwelter916/guitars

1.These tracks were recorded by connecting the guitar to a Boss ME 70 pedal and the tones were set on this pedal and then directly connected to our line in on our sound card which is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Pro ZS. So the tone they have is what they are looking for but I was wondering should I run these through any amp sims like guitar rig or impluses? The pedal mimics an amp in a way but not sure if I should run them through something else.

2. Also Pretty much you will noticed the left channel is playing one guitar track and the right is another guitar track. This is all we did for guitar recording though. Through most of the recording the guitars are playing the same until you get to around 2:15 - 3:00 in the song it changes. I'm wondering how I should go about panning these and duplicating the tracks. Again I know duplicating isn't the greatest but this is what we have and I'm trying to work with these resources.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
You need to grab a decent USB preamp, are you going to be doing live drums? Vocals? I'd recommend a Tascam US1800 or the (discontinued) US1641 (if you can find it used) if you are going to be micing drums. If not and only need to run guitars/bass direct, go with a Line6 Toneport. They're pretty cheap, however the Tascam isn't much more and more inputs are always a good thing. As far as amp sims and impulses, take a look at this thread, it's got a lot of links to great free VST amp sims and a Tutorial on how to make them work.
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/music-recording-studio/34126-free-vst-amp-sim-thread.html

As far as running the ME 70.... I say don't do it. Run the guitars direct into the preamp and edit all effects/amps/etc. afterwards with VSTs. By doing it this way, even after you have recorded the guitar tracks you can go back and change amp settings, EQ settings, etc.

What are you using as your DAW?

Also take a look through all the stickied posts in this section. There is a lot of knowledge here.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Copying guitar tracks is always the wrong way to double/quad track. I don't want to sound like a dick, but the guitars have WAY too much gain, and the playing isn't nearly as tight as it needs to be for something like this.

Your friend needs to turn the gain WAY down - I get a wall of fizz through my monitors. The low end chugs should be crushing like a punch in the face, ya know? The harmonized part at ~2:10 or so needs to be spot-fucking on, otherwise the harmonized guitar will only make the other side of the harmony sound out of tune.

You could tame some of that fizz with a LPF, but honestly - that's way, way, way too much gain. I use a lot of gain when I'm writing, because it's easier to play fast and cover up slop when writing if you jack the gain up. But when it comes time to lay the track down, you really need to roll it back and play it cleanly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

Thank you all for your reponses. I'm glad I've found a place where I can go for help and actually receive help I've been places where they ay yea it sucks and don't explain anything.

Ok ill give you more detail on our recording as we have all the parts of this song done.

Bass was receorded just with a guitar cable running straight into the sound card line in. I'm pretty sure we will need to redo this.

Drums are recorded via a yamaha electrnic kit connected to a dtxplorer an ran through a motu mid to ub. Drums are prcessed with superior drummer 2.0 metal foundry with an andy sneap preset tweaked a little bit.

Keys are midi into motu device then processed in magnus choir and also ewql symphonic orchestra.

Vocals are recorded through a shure sm57 conncted to a power station 600 PA made by soundcraft.

Now my question is should we concted guitar and bass through the powerstation and re record clean guitar tracks then edit in guitar rig 4 or amplitube metal we have both.

Also we are running sonar x1 daw

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Yeah, definitely record guitars clean and then process after the fact if thats an option.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Hello,

Thank you all for your reponses. I'm glad I've found a place where I can go for help and actually receive help I've been places where they ay yea it sucks and don't explain anything.

Ok ill give you more detail on our recording as we have all the parts of this song done.

Bass was receorded just with a guitar cable running straight into the sound card line in. I'm pretty sure we will need to redo this.

Drums are recorded via a yamaha electrnic kit connected to a dtxplorer an ran through a motu mid to ub. Drums are prcessed with superior drummer 2.0 metal foundry with an andy sneap preset tweaked a little bit.

Keys are midi into motu device then processed in magnus choir and also ewql symphonic orchestra.

Vocals are recorded through a shure sm57 conncted to a power station 600 PA made by soundcraft.

Now my question is should we concted guitar and bass through the powerstation and re record clean guitar tracks then edit in guitar rig 4 or amplitube metal we have both.

Also we are running sonar x1 daw
I think we're missing a clip - all I hear are guitars. :scratch:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry chris lol no all there was in that clip was guitars. I can upload a mix that has everything in it in a couple hours granted it doesn't sound great but u can get a feel for where we are going in this. I will talk to the band and it seems rerecording is what we need to do so I will have to stress that on them. So if I connect the guitars through the soundcraft powerstation 600 that should be sufficent enough ight? Then we will just run a cale from the powerstaion to the line in on soundcard?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
You will just need to run direct in to the sound card mate! Then use an amp sim like Nick Crow's 8505 or some LePoulin amps, and some cabinet impulses!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohh ok I get it sorry the post a few back confused when they said I should pick up a usb pre amp. The guitars and bass are recorded separate so we will just run a cable directly into sound card for each recording.

Now for recording the guitars does it just depend on what we are going for to determine how many performances of the rhythm track we should do (double/quad tracking)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts