Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tell me what you think of it; good or bad. :)

Rhythm & Lead guitars were done by me of course, bass and drums were played/programmed by MIDI.

Equipment/gear used:

*Epiphone dot (Not really a metal guitar; I know)
*Line 6 Flextone 3 amp
*Griffin iMic USB audio interface
*Cardioid Dynamic Instrument Microphone

Software:

*Logic Pro

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I've never heard the original song, but not bad. The guitar tone seems a little on the thin side, though, so I would try to boost the bass and especially the mids. I'm not sure what the best way to do that would is, whether it's shifting the mic position, tweaking your amp settings, or by EQ'ing the track. Some delay would be nice, too. :)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I think the part of the charm of that song's middle section isn't so much that it's a solo, but a really cool melody that's embellished upon slightly, and not a traditional 'solo'. You're a good player, and its obvious you know whats up, but i definitely prefer the original way the song was laid out. No way knocking you and your playing. Its just that The Ripper is one of my absolute favorite Priest songs, and everything is perfect about it.

I think the ideal spot to let it rip in a 70s priest song would be doing your own version of what KK Downing did on Dissident Aggressor. He totally Slayered that solo, so you could put your own in there instead and really make it something special.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah; I understand what you mean and I was actually thinking of recording my take on the solo of Dissident Aggressor.

Judas Priest are my favourite metal band of all time and KK and Glen are amongst my favourite guitarists; however I found their solo (or melody; however you want to look at it) on The Ripper a bit dull and repetitive, so I thought I'd do my own with a more of an Eddie Van Halen approach to it.

But cheers for your feedback and I apologise if I ruined the song's charm for you; lol. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts