Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally have a 5150. Does that mean im becoming an old man now? and I know this technically isnt a "block letter" since it has eddie's signature and it is a "script letter," but I normally refer to the Mark I 5150 as the "block letter."

So Story Time:
I got the itch for a 5150 and put out some feelers. I randomly searched for one on reverb and came across one that wasnt as expensive as all the other ones. and SCORE! the guy was local. Sent him a message and offered my H and K statesman 50 head in a trade. It was down for it. I made the trade the morning before I was leaving for vacation and actually caused us to leave a little late, but it all worked out.

Everything on it works great and sounds good! It is super loud and I cant really crank it at all in my apartment. Im going to have to get a captor for it so I can crank it! I am also thinking about cutting it in half and making it a head/cab being that the thing weights 84.5lbs.

PS: The rhythm channel knob must have broken, because there is a random knob on there that is just glued on lol.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Nice, and dont go cutting it up you heathen, the extra weight will make you stronger and help you be ready to handle to weight of those dead bodies in your basement one day..win/win. :yesway:

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
finally!

a Lucas thread that I'm not required to post the JBA5150 link.

Enjoy it dude ... looking forward to the inevitable clips and video.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Its in a 84lb case already, that already has 2 x 12 speakers, how friggin handy is that, Ed is a evil genius isnt he?

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
now work on micing this thing up with a single sm57 and go from there

gain, no higher than 11 o clock. bass at 12 oclock, mids at 3 o clock, highs at 3 o clock. res at 1 o clock, pres at 11 o clock. thats your starting point. no boosts, nothing. just start there and get shredding

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Nice! I love crunch channel with the 6/6/6 eq setting. Gain 6-8 and a ts808 in front. Awesome for flattening small villages. Get a hotplate and have some fun with it :D

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Hell yeah dude!

Nice! I love crunch channel with the 6/6/6 eq setting. Gain 6-8 and a ts808 in front. Awesome for flattening small villages. Get a hotplate and have some fun with it :D
Most definitely this. Especially if you have something with single coils in it.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Someone figure out how to get the "Balance" sound or the "Right Now, Right Here: Live."

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Good score, don't cut it, you can get those cheap enough that you can just buy a head for like $500. They aren't exactly hard to find.

Get a Strymon Big Sky to bring it up to speed in the areas in which it is lacking. E.G. the clean channel. The clean channel isn't as bad as people say, they are full of shit. Works great on single coils with some verb. Does slightly dirty cleans very well too.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also don't cut because the slighty airier sound of a 212 combo that has a mostly closed back but isn't fully closed is a fun change of pace, especially if you use proper tunings like Eb.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
bolt some casters to a couple of planks of wood and make yourself a trolley if you are having trouble shifting the weight :yesway:

Or if you are ok with woodworking, make yourself a little headshell for it. :yesway: :yesway:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts