Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atomic Music was having a blowout sale last weekend, so I managed to score this neat little sucker for a very good price.

I have the head plugged into my iso cab w/V30, and it sounds fantastic. The problem I've had up until now is that even my Mesa 20/20 was a little bit too strong to power a single speaker and get any kind of amp push. But a 5-watt amp is just perfect. I use the Blackstar both on its own and also with the Axe-FX as a preamp using the Blackstar's fx loop. For me, it sounds better as a power stage w/Axe-FX than the 20/20 does--fatter, and less chimey.

The Blackstar on its own with the iso cab is quite versatile, since the ISF control allows you to blend between "EL34" and "6L6" modes. I find the Blackstar sounds a lot better with the ISF dialed closer to pure EL34, giving a very convincing Marshall crunch. The 6L6 is a bit flubby, though it sounds good for doing a Santana thing. I use the Blackstar with a MHP 72° overdrive pedal, which sounds good with it. I may experiment with other pedals to get a bit more saturation, which many of you know I have a weakness for... :lol:

I haven't had much of a chance to play with the Blackstar cabinets yet, since I've been busy dialing in sounds with the iso cab. They make a great place to set my drink, however. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That 12BH7 power section is fantastic-sounding, isn't it! None of their "bigger" amps that I've tried sound quite as good.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Congrats! I love my HT-5 simply as a 5-watt tube power section - it's the perfect bedroom-level middle-man between my gsp1101 & a 2x12. And it was cheaper than anything that could take its place. :yesway:

A great piece of gear and one of the few that I've never thought about selling. :)

Enjoy! :metal:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice!

...dibs?
I'm not planning to sell it anytime soon, but sure, you've got dibs if I ever do. Might be selling my 20/20 soon, though.

That 12BH7 power section is fantastic-sounding, isn't it!
It really is a good power section. Surprisingly loud for 5 watts, too. I do notice the lack of headroom on the clean channel, however.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Might be selling my 20/20 soon, though
If you do, I might know somebody that's interested. :yesway:

And congrats on the little stack. I'm still digging the hell out of my little Jet City. I'm surprised I don't see more of them around. Though I wouldn't mind checking out the HT5. My JCA20 is still a little much for home jamming.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Might be selling my 20/20 soon, though.
Let me know when you're getting close... i've always loved the EL-84 tone.

BTW, the clean channel of the HT-5 sounds awesome with a TS in front of it, using it as a full-on overdrive rather than a boost.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's my favorite part of the clean channel :wub:

:lol:
:lol: It is nice to be able to get break-up so easily, but the clean channel makes this amp problematic for guys who would otherwise use it for jazz gigs or such. If the cleans could be more pristine, this amp would be more than enough to cover small jazz rooms.

BTW, the clean channel of the HT-5 sounds awesome with a TS in front of it, using it as a full-on overdrive rather than a boost.
Thanks, I'll have to try that. I'm still playing around mostly with the gain channel.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Of course, Darren would love boosting the fuck out of the clean channel. After all, he shook Kevan's basement with an HT-5 through a 4x12 on the clean channel with a cranked Source Audio Multiwave Distortion. Literally, the house out to the driveway was vibrating.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I remember walking up to the garage door, feeling the ground move, telling Nate, "I think that's the Multiwave Distortion pedal. Darren must be having fun!"

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The Blackstar was loud when it was dimed, but the Multiwave Distortion puts out absolutely obscene amounts of gain.

Who knew a 5W amp could cause structural damage!?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm surprised it didn't just shut down or give up or something :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Hmm, I'm gonna have to try this out, Chris. I need a setup for the cover band, and the first go with a POD last night reminded me of why I hate modelers. The cleans were great, but the distortion models are positively awful. What are you up to this weekend? :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts