Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this little beast for $156.00 (head) + $50.00 (unloaded cab) straight from the factory in China..

( + $250.00 for shipping)

Have'nt spent much time with it yet.....still need to load the cab with some decent speakers :lol: But here's a demo someone did that (youtube quality apart) is pretty much the way it sounded when I fired it up...

Demo.... (1:52 onwards)

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Damn! Nice score man....Keep us posted on the reliability of this amp. Very interesting.:yesway:

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man :)

Well, I've had it for nearly a week now & it still works ...guess that's a good sign lol!

Truth is, it's built like a tank (23 1/2 lbs)...really solid. I don't think there will be a problem with reliability..these amps are pretty popular in China, and they have a European distributer (certified ROHS/European safety compliant) as well Icon Guitars.se, though I guess the price will be marked up a lot.

Sound-wise..I can't complain. It's really detailed & punchy, has unreal power and sounds truly massive(!!) ....on the crunch setting, it does the sweet bluesy/retro thing really well too. The cleans are'nt the sweetest, but they're not too bad either...

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
The knobs, buttons and faceplate look a LOT like the H&K Tubemeister. Since the TM series is made in China, I wonder if someone in the factory decided to "borrow" the design and put these out there... :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
The knobs, buttons and faceplate look a LOT like the H&K Tubemeister. Since the TM series is made in China, I wonder if someone in the factory decided to "borrow" the design and put these out there... :lol:
Toe-Knee told me they pretty much ARE the Tubemeister besides one or component changes. I think they're made in the same factory and everything :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That's the problem with outsourcing to China. Once your IP is out there, it never leaves!

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, according to what they (manufacturers) told someone at NAMM 2011, this is basically a reverse engineered Engl Savage with some component/wattage down-scaling/tweaks. Though H&K obviously "inspired" the face-plate design, knobs etc...

These amps have actually been out long before the Tubemeister and the lady at the factory I bought it from said they've been demo'ing them at NAMM in the US for a couple of years already. In fact, my order was put on hold for a while because she was away at NAMM earlier this year (She handles the overseas customers/orders)

I actually own a H&K Switchblade 50 watt combo and this thing has a hell of a lot more gain (tonnes more) ...it also sounds far more aggressive and is actually quite a bit thicker/bigger sounding as well...especially at lower volumes.

I'm from Bangalore, India ...and while we're physically way closer to China (share a border), shipping to India actually costs quite a bit more than it does to the US...

Got it straight from the factory in Tianjin (goldeamusic). They were pretty helpful...

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Nice! Looks pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Well after sending a few emails back and forth it seems like I could get a pretty big break in cost + shipping if the number of units I order is 10. I should have exact numbers pretty soon, any one else interested in doing a group order for the Rex 3200?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Well after sending a few emails back and forth it seems like I could get a pretty big break in cost + shipping if the number of units I order is 10. I should have exact numbers pretty soon, any one else interested in doing a group order for the Rex 3200?
I'd be interested. How much of a break we looking at?:metal: Shit....156$ Is already damn cheap!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
the chinese never cease to astound with their apparent rips of other amps makers

this thing looks far to close to a Hughes and Kettner

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Hey guys I'll have a new topic to get a sign up going. I will have the prices pretty soon.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
the chinese never cease to astound with their apparent rips of other amps makers

So you think it's wrong to want/get one....Not accusing by the way just curious:yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

That's because the factory probably builds the H&K amp in question. As stated elsewhere in the thread, if your company wants the Chinese to manufacturer something for you, you are essentially forfeiting your copyright privileges in China. They do not recognize intellectual property rights in the same way as the western world.

I would never buy one of these. If you buy a new H&K, you are getting a full manufacturers warranty. If you get some clone shipped over from China, well, best of luck!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
That's because the factory probably builds the H&K amp in question. As stated elsewhere in the thread, if your company wants the Chinese to manufacturer something for you, you are essentially forfeiting your copyright privileges in China. They do not recognize intellectual property rights at all.

I would never buy one of these. If you buy a new H&K, you are getting a full manufacturers warranty. If you get some clone shipped over from China, well, best of luck!
Fixed. They simply don't give a shit about anyone's ideas, period. Why companies continue to have a love fest with China is beyond me. Cheap manufacturing? Yay! Rampant theft of ideas/designs/etc? Oh well!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Fixed. They simply don't give a shit about anyone's ideas, period. Why companies continue to have a love fest with China is beyond me. Cheap manufacturing? Yay! Rampant theft of ideas/designs/etc? Oh well!
Right? Oh, I guess making Chinese companies go through the effort of reverse engineering our products was just too cruel to the developing world. I know, let's just hand them all the specs! :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts