Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts
Yeah I got that...:squint: I think it's absurd to think that while I'm playing it it's going to burst in to flame and kill my family. I'll be sure to unplug it when not in use....:lol:
Youd be best unplugging it while you are playing it :D

Its only really potentially a danger whilst its turned on.

To make this more valid.

Any chance of gutshots?

Oh no's It gonna exploded!!! C'mon man... :lol:
Yeah, I must be exaggerating, since that never happens...

Dilemma - H&K Triamp mk 1 for $1200... - Sevenstring.org

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - Hughes and Kettner Triamp MK1 (first model) stack

3 or 4 channel tube amps? [Archive] - The Gear Page

Guitars: Triamp MK II Tube Guitar Amplifier Head by Hughes & Kettner | Harmony Central

Now, those are amps that are approved for sale in the United States. So, are you OK with buying and using an amp that has NOT gone through the certification process required for sales on the US market? Best of luck, man! :lol:

I figured this was next...Planes crash to...do you not fly??? C'mon man, I feel this is a personal vendetta for you now...haha...Do you work for H&K or something???:ugh:

I'm guessing now you will say...sure I fly....but not Air China LOL

Thanks for the wish of luck my way....I'll let you know if I survive.....

I figured this was next...Planes crash to...do you not fly??? C'mon man, I feel this is a personal vendetta for you now...haha...Do you work for H&K or something???:ugh:
WHy would he post links to proof that the H&K's that are deemed "safe" set on fire if he worked for them :S

I'm guessing now you will say...sure I fly....but not Air China LOL

Thanks for the wish of luck my way....I'll let you know if I survive.....
Do you know of UL, CE, FCC, GS and certifications for electronic equipment? They appear on stickers like this:

Like Tony said, I was digging up links of H&K TriAmps catching on fire and burning. These are amps that, by law, carry these certifications for sale in North America. They're supposed to be safe, yet they were not. So, you want to buy something that has not had to withstand any sort of oversight or scrutiny by an unbiased third party? Maybe you should go do some research before we carry this discussion further, OK?

Ok I see this is pointless .... You win....I just think it strange that you guys seem to take this very personal. If you are worried for my well being, thanks. If it's something else sorry. If I burn while playing guitar you can say, I tried to warn him...those damn Chinese....:lol:

Ok I see this is pointless .... You win....I just think it strange that you guys seem to take this very personal. If you are worried for my well being, thanks. If it's something else sorry. If I burn while playing guitar you can say, I tried to warn him...those damn Chinese....:lol:
Its actual concern and good advice.

I build amps myself and have shocked myself a few times and trust me it isnt pleasant and thats with the caps drained somewhat and correct safety measures taken. Without those safety measures i would have been dead without a doubt.

:scratch:

I'm not taking this personally. I don't know you from Adam, so if you burn up in a house fire, it's no skin off my teeth. I'm just saying that I'm not going to buy a product that has undergone no third party oversight directly from a country with a shitty safety record. I just don't fuck with sketchy electronics, man, but if you're happy with your amp, then rock the fuck on. :metal:

Maybe you should go do some research before we carry this discussion further, OK?
No point. Your concerns have been noted. Thank you for being concerned for me and my family. :deadhrse:

Its actual concern and good advice.

I build amps myself and have shocked myself a few times and trust me it isnt pleasant and thats with the caps drained somewhat and correct safety measures taken. Without those safety measures i would have been dead without a doubt.
This. When dealing with the inside of amps, you can die, as evidenced by people dying for not taking the precautions Tony described. If I ever have to replace the transformer on an amp, I'm going to take it to a tech, since I simply don't trust myself to not seriously injure or kill myself.

Most people don't realize that they hold charge even after unplugged for a long period of time. This is how most people get hurt...I'm not a total vegetable...I think I have been dealing with Amps and general guitar gear long enough to get around one ok without killing myself. It starts feeling like a personal attack after a while man(which is cool i'm thick skinned)....just sayin. If I offended I apologize...have a good one.:yesway:

Most people don't realize that they hold charge even after unplugged for a long period of time. This is how most people get hurt...I'm not a total vegetable...I think I have been dealing with Amps and general guitar gear long enough to get around one ok without killing myself. It starts feeling like a personal attack after a while man....just sayin. If I offended I apologize...have a good one.:yesway:
I can see why it would.

All of my shocks are actually my own fault.

When i build an amp i install bleeder resistors which usually discharge the amp within 5-10 mins i however am usually too eager to get back in and do whatever i was doing.

Luckily they had drained enough just to give me a shock and minor burns

You haven't offended anyone, and I wasn't implying that you didn't understand the dangerous of tube amps. I'm just wary of buying something directly from China, since it isn't certified for use in the American market. I've got an uncle who lost his house in an electrical fire, so that gave me a healthy respect for the dangerous of faulty electronics. I just won't trust something that doesn't have the UL, FCC, or CE sticker on the back. I actually trust the CE sticker more, since Canadian electronics regulations are more stringent than ours.

You haven't offended anyone, and I wasn't implying that you didn't understand the dangerous of tube amps. I'm just wary of buying something directly from China, since it isn't certified for use in the American market. I've got an uncle who lost his house in an electrical fire, so that gave me a healthy respect for the dangerous of faulty electronics. I just won't trust something that doesn't have the UL, FCC, or CE sticker on the back. I actually trust the CE sticker more, since Canadian electronics regulations are more stringent than ours.
I'd be careful about buying uncertified chinese electronics too. The amp catching fire while playing isn't as big of a problem as it catching fire while you're asleep.

BTW, CE (Conformité Européenne) is an EU regulation. Just wanted to point that out. :cool:

Discussion starter · #56 · (Edited)
No....they're actually labelled fine, and no funny catch phrases like you find on those Chinese LFR's either :lol:. They're pretty professionally done actually.

As far as safety goes, apart from their own local certification, they're also European safety compliant/RoHS compliant, which is more than you get with most high-priced small/boutique makers.

I expect anything could go up in flames if H&K's do. But yeah, they do have European safety certification....so I doubt they're time bombs waiting to go off.. :lol:

Thank you Phantasmagoria!!! Hopefully this will put some minds at ease.

:scratch:

I'm not taking this personally. I don't know you from Adam, so if you burn up in a house fire, it's no skin off my teeth. I'm just saying that I'm not going to buy a product that has undergone no third party oversight directly from a country with a shitty safety record. I just don't fuck with sketchy electronics, man, but if you're happy with your amp, then rock the fuck on. :metal:
Quit being such a pussy Dave. I don't know who Adam is, but I'd like to see some Chinese engineering fuck me up through my...

FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER

Lol..no..I'm not tech-savy enough to mess around in an amp....

But here's a video that might give you some idea....unfortunately it's low res w/small pics...

Aira Rex3200 Guitar Amp Modify By Chatreeo - YouTube
Its hard to really see much from thos pictures. From what can be seen it actually looks ok but id like to see the power section, grounding & flyback precautions.

However those mods are a typical example of chinese building :D

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.