Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NAD: Chinese Goldea Rex 3200 15 watt high gain head

21K views 74 replies 20 participants last post by  Phantasmagoria 
#1 ·
I bought this little beast for $156.00 (head) + $50.00 (unloaded cab) straight from the factory in China..

( + $250.00 for shipping)

Have'nt spent much time with it yet.....still need to load the cab with some decent speakers :lol: But here's a demo someone did that (youtube quality apart) is pretty much the way it sounded when I fired it up...

Demo.... (1:52 onwards)

See less See more
1 4
#2 ·
Damn! Nice score man....Keep us posted on the reliability of this amp. Very interesting.:yesway:

#3 ·
Thanks man :)

Well, I've had it for nearly a week now & it still works ...guess that's a good sign lol!

Truth is, it's built like a tank (23 1/2 lbs)...really solid. I don't think there will be a problem with reliability..these amps are pretty popular in China, and they have a European distributer (certified ROHS/European safety compliant) as well Icon Guitars.se, though I guess the price will be marked up a lot.

Sound-wise..I can't complain. It's really detailed & punchy, has unreal power and sounds truly massive(!!) ....on the crunch setting, it does the sweet bluesy/retro thing really well too. The cleans are'nt the sweetest, but they're not too bad either...

#6 ·
That's the problem with outsourcing to China. Once your IP is out there, it never leaves!

#8 ·
Well, according to what they (manufacturers) told someone at NAMM 2011, this is basically a reverse engineered Engl Savage with some component/wattage down-scaling/tweaks. Though H&K obviously "inspired" the face-plate design, knobs etc...

These amps have actually been out long before the Tubemeister and the lady at the factory I bought it from said they've been demo'ing them at NAMM in the US for a couple of years already. In fact, my order was put on hold for a while because she was away at NAMM earlier this year (She handles the overseas customers/orders)

I actually own a H&K Switchblade 50 watt combo and this thing has a hell of a lot more gain (tonnes more) ...it also sounds far more aggressive and is actually quite a bit thicker/bigger sounding as well...especially at lower volumes.

I'm from Bangalore, India ...and while we're physically way closer to China (share a border), shipping to India actually costs quite a bit more than it does to the US...

Got it straight from the factory in Tianjin (goldeamusic). They were pretty helpful...

#13 ·
I'd be interested. How much of a break we looking at?:metal: Shit....156$ Is already damn cheap!!!

#17 ·
So you think it's wrong to want/get one....Not accusing by the way just curious:yesway:

#18 ·
That's because the factory probably builds the H&K amp in question. As stated elsewhere in the thread, if your company wants the Chinese to manufacturer something for you, you are essentially forfeiting your copyright privileges in China. They do not recognize intellectual property rights in the same way as the western world.

I would never buy one of these. If you buy a new H&K, you are getting a full manufacturers warranty. If you get some clone shipped over from China, well, best of luck!

#19 ·
That's because the factory probably builds the H&K amp in question. As stated elsewhere in the thread, if your company wants the Chinese to manufacturer something for you, you are essentially forfeiting your copyright privileges in China. They do not recognize intellectual property rights at all.

I would never buy one of these. If you buy a new H&K, you are getting a full manufacturers warranty. If you get some clone shipped over from China, well, best of luck!
Fixed. They simply don't give a shit about anyone's ideas, period. Why companies continue to have a love fest with China is beyond me. Cheap manufacturing? Yay! Rampant theft of ideas/designs/etc? Oh well!

#20 ·
Fixed. They simply don't give a shit about anyone's ideas, period. Why companies continue to have a love fest with China is beyond me. Cheap manufacturing? Yay! Rampant theft of ideas/designs/etc? Oh well!
Right? Oh, I guess making Chinese companies go through the effort of reverse engineering our products was just too cruel to the developing world. I know, let's just hand them all the specs! :facepalm:

#22 ·
lol, so I'm taking it that buying one of these would be frowned upon then?

Would it not be right to have the attitude screw them that's what they get for outsourcing???? Once again...just curios.

#25 ·
To be honest "originality" is'nt that much of a word in the guitar world. Look at how many established/respected names are pretty much identical strat copies, LP copies etc (albeit with a slightly different headstock for respectability & their own "identity" lol). As for amps, early Peaveys were reverese engineered Marshall's, early Marshall's/Traynor's were reverese engineered Fender Bassman's and so on...

This amp is pretty much a different sounding beast. It definately does'nt sound like my H&K (or an Engl). Does it look like one? Sure, there's an obvious similarity, Just like there are plenty of "highly desireable", "respected/custom/boutique" amps out there (costing mega $$$$) that look like Marshall's & Fenders" (and sound like them too).

It was the same with Japan/Japanese products in the 70's/80's. Nowadays the "MIJ" tag commands respect (and a high price) but it was'nt always that way. Guyatone amps were exact Fender replica's. Ibanez and other manufacturers had their fair share of "lawsuit" models many of which are highly prized collector's items these days etc.

In the end if it sounds good and is well built, who cares what it was "inspired" by & whaere it was made..lol.

This thing might have been MIC & cost $156/- but I would rather buy it (based on what it sounds like) over 99% of the other lunch box heads out there, even if price was'nt an issue. The orange Dark Terror being probably the only other head, I'd consider "as well" ..(I'd still want both..lol)

#33 ·
So, are you saying it was $160, including shipping and import tariffs? There is no way I am trusting a tube amp that is that cheap, especially when it looks like a knockoff of a brand known for catching on fire. :lol:

#34 ·
I think it would be about 300$ after all said and done...still not bad though...I'd risk it. :lol:

#37 ·
For $300, I'd rather have a Jet City, Blackstar, or used Peavey Classic 30 and at least get something that won't explode and has a full manufacturer's warranty.

#38 ·
Oh no's It gonna exploded!!! C'mon man... :lol:

#42 ·
Yeah, I must be exaggerating, since that never happens...

Dilemma - H&K Triamp mk 1 for $1200... - Sevenstring.org

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - Hughes and Kettner Triamp MK1 (first model) stack

3 or 4 channel tube amps? [Archive] - The Gear Page

Guitars: Triamp MK II Tube Guitar Amplifier Head by Hughes & Kettner | Harmony Central

Now, those are amps that are approved for sale in the United States. So, are you OK with buying and using an amp that has NOT gone through the certification process required for sales on the US market? Best of luck, man! :lol:

#40 ·
Yeah I got that...:squint: I think it's absurd to think that while I'm playing it it's going to burst in to flame and kill my family. I'll be sure to unplug it when not in use....:lol:

#43 ·
I figured this was next...Planes crash to...do you not fly??? C'mon man, I feel this is a personal vendetta for you now...haha...Do you work for H&K or something???:ugh:

I'm guessing now you will say...sure I fly....but not Air China LOL

Thanks for the wish of luck my way....I'll let you know if I survive.....

#44 ·
I figured this was next...Planes crash to...do you not fly??? C'mon man, I feel this is a personal vendetta for you now...haha...Do you work for H&K or something???:ugh:
WHy would he post links to proof that the H&K's that are deemed "safe" set on fire if he worked for them :S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.