Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been curious about these for a while and this one was relatively inexpensive so I picked it up. It's the non-EQ version but most places I read said they only use EQ for solo boost anyway so whatever.

As far as sound goes, seems pretty nice, it is pretty clear and playing through it reminds me of the EVH 5153 Stealth that I have but having a bit more bass in the preamp. I can see why a lot of artists moved from Fryette to EVH for their touring rigs. I feel like the UL has more bass in the preamp. I slapped my SD-1 I use with my KR7 onto it and it helped a lot with the overwhelming bass / loose feeling I had direct-in and with the OD808. I use the OD808 with the EVH.

The Edge switch is pretty crap imo, it makes the sound a lot more compressed and just is meh feeling when playing through it, it probably works better in standard but in A it is awful. The shift EQ is pretty cool, it makes the amp less scooped sounding but I usually am keeping this off, it helped a lot with the OD808 but with the SD-1 it is unnecessary I feel. The Voicing switch on the power amp is basically a low volume clarity boost it gives a huge V shape EQ like people use on OG marks, I keep it off.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is an amp that will come alive with a slight boost in front. it's a serious amp. this mixed with another amp will absolutely destroy any other band on stage
Any OD's you tend to prefer using with it? I'm not generally big on squashing the input on my amps with them so don't usually keep the output on max on mine.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
i have used everything from 808s to ts9s to bloody murders or that seymor duncan thing. it's all the same shit, just use whatever you've got around and play with it until it sounds and feels right.
They're all similar but not exactly the same. I have 5 or 6 overdrives sitting around, and I can tell little differences between each of them in feel and response for sure. I dont crank them all the way either, my favorites for boosting the front of an amp are the grid slammer and mini ts, both cranked about 3/4 way up with the tone knob at half to 3/4 and the gain off. Kills with mesa amps for sure and every peavey I've tried.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When'd you get the Mark?
Was a few months ago, I never did a NGD for it but posted it in a thread asking about what amp to buy next :lol:

https://www.metalguitarist.org/foru...-complement-ones-post1470594.html#post1470594

They're all similar but not exactly the same. I have 5 or 6 overdrives sitting around, and I can tell little differences between each of them in feel and response for sure. I dont crank them all the way either, my favorites for boosting the front of an amp are the grid slammer and mini ts, both cranked about 3/4 way up with the tone knob at half to 3/4 and the gain off. Kills with mesa amps for sure and every peavey I've tried.
Yeah some people are particular about them so was not sure if any specific one worked great but I like try rotate through mine anyway.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Does it sound like this? If so, you are there already... the one I tried sounded like this one. If I needed another full size head this is what I would get, others may not agree but I love that sound.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Tips:
- use the rhythm channel for rhythm. Yes, the orange one.
- engage boost on it (yes, on the yellow one, also set switch to high gain)
- you'll find the amp dry, to get a little saturation boost it.
- the rhythm channel with a boost to make it less tight (yes, you ehard me) is a thing of beauty. Use a TS808. DON'T use a DS1

- Red channel for leads. With edge switch. Too compressed for rhythm imho
- Can also benefit being hit with a tube screamer. Has shit tons of gain, it doesn't sound like it, but that's because it is focused.

The UL will flatten other amps, it will cut through like a knife through butter whilst giving another amp room to breathe.

Spend some time with it, and you have to remember that you need to, like a mesa, approach this amp from scratch. It works different and sounds different and is very dry (I have no idea where the 5153 comparison comes from tbh)

It's a godlike lead amp, the edge switch is the best thing for solos ever. defined low down in the range, more liquid due to the frequency dependant gain boost as you get higher in the note register

This is literally the one amp I will never sell.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it sound like this? If so, you are there already... the one I tried sounded like this one. If I needed another full size head this is what I would get, others may not agree but I love that sound.

I feel like that is fizzy and scooped in comparison to how I have mine setup but considering the graphic EQ setting I am not surprised. Also not sure what speaker they are using.

Tips:
- use the rhythm channel for rhythm. Yes, the orange one.
- engage boost on it (yes, on the yellow one, also set switch to high gain)
- you'll find the amp dry, to get a little saturation boost it.
- the rhythm channel with a boost to make it less tight (yes, you ehard me) is a thing of beauty. Use a TS808. DON'T use a DS1

- Red channel for leads. With edge switch. Too compressed for rhythm imho
- Can also benefit being hit with a tube screamer. Has shit tons of gain, it doesn't sound like it, but that's because it is focused.

The UL will flatten other amps, it will cut through like a knife through butter whilst giving another amp room to breathe.

Spend some time with it, and you have to remember that you need to, like a mesa, approach this amp from scratch. It works different and sounds different and is very dry (I have no idea where the 5153 comparison comes from tbh)

It's a godlike lead amp, the edge switch is the best thing for solos ever. defined low down in the range, more liquid due to the frequency dependant gain boost as you get higher in the note register

This is literally the one amp I will never sell.
I'll try it out, I never played the regular 5153 100 but the stealth is pretty similar, both are really dry amps with tons of gain :lol: The UL is more like...you hear more ? but overall they are similar. I did two shit cell phone clips and they sounded virtually the same. Perhaps it is just how I EQ / set the amps up :lol: "tone is in the hands" lol

Just whipped out the mic and did some quickies, definitely could pull gain back on the lead channel :lol: I should get a db meter sometime so I can run the amps all at the same volume without having to guestimate.

https://soundcloud.com/user-480405678%2Fsets%2F5153-stealth-and-ultra-lead
I also replaced the 12AX7WB with a Tung Sol in V1 since everyone does that lol.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I run gain on both channels about 5/8 to 3/4 sort of in that range, the gain is very deceptive on these amps, as it basically does not saturate as you'd expect, so I've seen people dial mine in, adding more gain hunting for that saturated sound, but it isn't there, it's basically a case of thinking like a plexi, which is a brutal amp.

Another thing about this amp is just stick with it, it is very unforgiving. The guy that sold me mine said he couldn't make it sound good. I can believe him. On an off day, it'll make you sound bad, you'll hear mishit strings, mistakes, everything. On a good day, however, it'll make you sound like a god.

Tube wise, read this, there's certain types in certain places, plus a desription of what they d, and options for more/less aggressive sound, worth a read:

http://www.fryette.com/content/G100UL_SFD.pdf

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I've no idea where you're getting the idea one of those is "loose" from, unless it's an EQ issue :lol: I've played 7DT's a few times and it's the closest thing to a Mark in terms of tightness I've ever heard. Though his does have the graphic, so maybe that's part of it?

Still, awesome, awesome amp, congrats :metal:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've no idea where you're getting the idea one of those is "loose" from, unless it's an EQ issue :lol: I've played 7DT's a few times and it's the closest thing to a Mark in terms of tightness I've ever heard. Though his does have the graphic, so maybe that's part of it?

Still, awesome, awesome amp, congrats :metal:
Mostly just overpowering bass I have to dial out lol. That is probably less of an issue at super high volume like with a band. I'll give your settings a whirl 7DT, sounds pretty good right now and I just got recording stuff to screw around with so not like I need to make it sound less compressed so you can hear it in the mix :lol: :metal: Really awesome amp for the price though for sure! (used) I think probably the blue channel on my 50W 5153 and the Stealth Blue channel are my favourites right now for high gain tones, they are just so awesome with the 50w having some more "hair" like bigdave said above lol. Mark IV still has a "ker-chunk" response though that my other amps just don't get, wonder if the JP2C does the same thing. My old Randall RG did the same thing with the blackouts metal pickup and that was glorious.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Does this have two gain controls (some Fryettes do)? If so, check the second gain control (as it changes the voicing of the amp between bright and dark) as that may help with the bass issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.