Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a good week for New Amp Days on this site hasn't it? I thought I'd add to it with an amp I've been after probably since I started playing guitar... I've never seen one outside of the US for sale but Mattayus managed to find one on Facebook, not only in the EU but it has already had the transformer modified for 240v, needless to say I jumped on it.

Sunn amps are rare enough in the UK but you just don't see these 70's ones... Ever... This one is a '74 which was bizarrely completed on the 22nd of January according to the sticker on the chassis, so next week is it's birthday so to speak. :lol:

I've only just got it wired up with a UK plug and it's probably a bit late to play so here's a couple of shitty pictures to tide you over until tomorrow:

Now I just need to figure out how to get the stale cigarette stank out of it. :ugh:

Attachments

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
What would you compare this to? I have never tried one.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would you compare this to? I have never tried one.
So far I can only go off of recorded versions and when I've seen bands live with them, it's a bit late to play it anywhere past 0.5 so I don't know. But they're supposed to be a supercharged mashup of a Fender Bassman and a Marshall Plexi, they have a voice of their own which I've never heard anywhere else though. I'll attempt to get some recordings done of it at the weekend as looking for youtube clips of the amp is pointless unless you want poorly recorded Sunn O))) ripoffs. :lol:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
YES!
:metal:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Fuck yes! Congrats dude, I know how long you've been after one of these. TBH I know what it was before I opened the thread :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy fuck is this loud, I've barely got it past 2 and it feels like I'm taking the piss... I'm tempted to go hire out a room at my practice space so I can really crank it. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Fuck yes :yesway:

I know a guy in town with two Sunn heads, I should see about borrowing them for the studio :idea:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuck yes :yesway:

I know a guy in town with two Sunn heads, I should see about borrowing them for the studio :idea:
Yeah man, go for it! I've just spent the past hour playing through my bands first album with this and the mesa and I wish I'd have had this when I recorded it, this is THE tone I've been chasing for this band... I really think I've found my sound... Our next album is going to sound immense and people are gunna go deaf at our live shows. :lol:

Edit: Some instagram lameness:

Attachments

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Holy fucking yes man!!! I want one of those so bad...just used one in the studio and again got reminded why these rule so hard.
congrats, really, this is awesome.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I better not want to move my jcm800 for one :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Holy fuck is this loud, I've barely got it past 2 and it feels like I'm taking the piss... I'm tempted to go hire out a room at my practice space so I can really crank it. :lol:
I've done this a few times in the past. Last time was between Christmas and New Year, then I jerry rigged the two outputs of my wireless to run two amps. Running both Diezels through all three of my Zilla's was awesome. And loud, so, so loud...

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've done this a few times in the past. Last time was between Christmas and New Year, then I jerry rigged the two outputs of my wireless to run two amps. Running both Diezels through all three of my Zilla's was awesome. And loud, so, so loud...
I think I'll wait till band practice next week. I normally just take my combo, but I think I'll go the extra mile next time and bring my whole setup. :james:

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Chris Squire used to use Sunn guitar heads as his bass amps all during the early Yes years, so if you have a bass cabinet somewhere you can use it for that as well.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris Squire used to use Sunn guitar heads as his bass amps all during the early Yes years, so if you have a bass cabinet somewhere you can use it for that as well.
I do, I've got a 4x10 that I'm gunna blast it through tomorrow. In the mean time this seems to relate to how my ears feel at the moment... :lol:

12583649_10156441988815472_627816554_n.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts