Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I know I said I was done buying stuff but taxes came back and I missed the Blackstar HT20 combo amp I traded for the MIJ Strat. It was a great amp, but I wanted the Strat more.

I found this on Craigslist from a local guy. It's a Mesa Boogie Rocket 44. It's in great shape and I got it for $350 including foot pedal, which I thought was pretty decent.

It sounded great at the seller's house, but I got home at 10pm so I haven't really had the chance to light it up at my place.

From what I read, it's 40 watts (haven't been able to verify that) and the reviews and videos were good. The speaker is the original Black Shadow MC90.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Sweet, looks pretty tasty! all Mesa pron is good pron. I don't really know much about these model of mesas - what are they like? Classic/modern/blues/cleans etc?

I was never a Mesa fan as I'd heard too many badly dialled in DRs but I recently had a blast through a mark V and I totally understand the love now.

And at that price, it sounds like you robbed the poor guy! :yesway:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys -

Appreciate the feedback. I still haven't had the chance to play it, really. Maybe tonight after work. :metal:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It's always a long day at work when there's a NAD waiting at home.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Bacon has been on a gear Assault, congrats on your Mesa purchase they make great stuff.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Good score, I am back up to 5 boogies again, well technically 4.5, Noodles and I are co-owners of the rackmount recto.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
No shit, a Rocket-44 was my first-ever Mesa. :D

Great amp. I always thought of them as a simplified Mark of sorts. I never had much use for the "regular" mode of the clean channel (though, this was almost 15 years ago, so who knows now), but Contour was basically the Mesa "V" EQ setting, and sounded badass. Great clean channel, too. I'd recommend dialing it in much like a Mark - keep the bass relatively low, the treble in the 5-7 range, and the mids a little higher, but of course the shared EQ complicates things so try to find a good balance between the channels.

They're also LOUD - it has a very touchy volume knob. If I remember right, it's a 45-watt amp, but this was a long time ago.

If it was this or a Blackstar, you chose well. :yesway:

Reactions: Assault Bacon

·
2,299 Posts

Great amp. I always thought of them as a simplified Mark of sorts. I never had much use for the "regular" mode of the clean channel (though, this was almost 15 years ago, so who knows now), but Contour was basically the Mesa "V" EQ setting, and sounded badass. Great clean channel, too. I'd recommend dialing it in much like a Mark - keep the bass relatively low, the treble in the 5-7 range, and the mids a little higher, but of course the shared EQ complicates things so try to find a good balance between the channels.

They're also LOUD - it has a very touchy volume knob. If I remember right, it's a 45-watt amp, but this was a long time ago.

I would also suggest buying one of the Mesa EQ Pedals to throw in the loop.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Ooh. Thanks for the tips, Drew. I'll definitely try that out. I'll be experimenting this evening... Hell, the whole weekend.

I'll check that out. Thanks Zero

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
IMO, not really necessary. The "Contour" channel works fine :yesway:

Also, the Mesa GEQ pedal costs most of what the amp cost :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Assault bacon, I wish I could remember exactly how I used to dial it in, but this was forever ago. I will say that the EQ was never terribly powerful on this - it always sounded about the same no matter what I did to it. I think it was a pre-gain tone stack, if that makes sense...? Or maybe it was post, and that's why it didn't really alter the "color" of the tone much.

Of course, it was a great sounding lead channel, so I was fine with that.

·
2,299 Posts
IMO, not really necessary. The "Contour" channel works fine :yesway:

Also, the Mesa GEQ pedal costs most of what the amp cost :lol:
Yeah but with a shared EQ it helps to give more options, yes the pedal cost, you can get them used for about $200 but they are worth it, built like a tank and specific to mesa line. I have looked but you cannot find another EQ that does the same frequencies as the mesa does.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You can get frighteningly close with the MXR 10-band. I had one in the loop of my DC-10, and was trying to match my "V" there so I could try it on the Stiletto.

So, it totally sounded like farty-ass on the Stiletto :lol:, but I had it very well matched. Without looking, I could tell there was a very slight difference, but I couldn't tell you which was which.

·
2,299 Posts
You can get frighteningly close with the MXR 10-band. I had one in the loop of my DC-10, and was trying to match my "V" there so I could try it on the Stiletto.

So, it totally sounded like farty-ass on the Stiletto :lol:, but I had it very well matched. Without looking, I could tell there was a very slight difference, but I couldn't tell you which was which.
I use the danelectro fish n chips with my stiletto to get a little more bottom end and a little more top end, no need to mess with the mid's on the stiletto there is plenty to go around. And for 29 dollars it is a great EQ pedal.

Amazon.com: Danelectro DJ-14C Fish & Chips 7 Band EQ Mini Effects Pedal: Musical Instruments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts