Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after Sami posted a Peavey Ultra Plus in the Ebay/Craigslist thread I decided to check Ebay for one, not expecting to find one. Except for the first time ever I found one with 1hr 45mins to go, no bids, opening bid £240 BIN £280. It was about an hours drive away so I decided to be cheeky and email a £200 offer. Got a reply saying it was mine for £220, so I picked it up Thursday night :yesway:

It seems to be in really clean condition and all works ok, but the only downside is it's US voltage, but the voltage converter was included. So far I've only had chance to give it a quick blast, but it's sounding good. Holy shit it's loud! I've got it on half power mode and with channel & master volume both set to 2 my pregnant wife had to leave the room as it was making her bump vibrate too much :lol:

Funky light up logo is green for clean:

Orange for crunch:

Red for Ultra :metal:

The stack:

For the first time in 2 years I actully have a head to use with my Trace Elliot 3x12 :yesway:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool logo and WTF IT'S A 3X12. :eek:
Yeah. It's a very rare and ultra cool sounding Trace Elliot cab from years back, when they still were Trace Elliot before they went under. Yes, it's a genuine guitar cab, not a bass cab, and it's loaded with 3 Celestion V30's wired in series. The speakers are 5.3ohms wired in series to give a 16ohm load. Ok, 15.9ohms, but it's close enough :lol:

Big advantage of the wierd design is a massive sound spread. People moan that 4x12's are directional and you can't hear them close up. This solves that completely.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
^ Win. I always assumed the "3x12 of Doom" was a homebuilt/custom job. Very cool, sir, and frankly, that's pretty much the most intelligent way to design a guitar cabinet for live sound.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Win. I always assumed the "3x12 of Doom" was a homebuilt/custom job. Very cool, sir, and frankly, that's pretty much the most intelligent way to design a guitar cabinet for live sound.
Nope, I snagged it from Ebay for £155 in April 2007. I only know that because I picked it up on the way to the April Whitby Goth Weekend and my wife was expecting our daughter at the time. There was another that was mint (mine's beat to hell more than Drew's UV7PWH) for only £150 in a local pawn store recently, but it seemed silly buying a second cab when I didn't have an amp. Sadly, someone's bought it now or I'd be getting it. Still, I might make another myself some time.

Other than those, Technomancer snagged one and I think Durero said he used to run a pair years back. Otherwise that's the only one's I've heard of.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
that 3X12 cab is one of the coolest cabs I've ever seen.
Nice grab on that head, those are great amps.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
No idea, but it sounds better than a XXX. The Ultra channel gets pretty damn close to a 5150.
Its a damn fine amp... I had one for many years and still kick myself for dumping it. Purchased it brand new in 1998. It is the precursor to the XXX.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually have a bunch of them around, still. I got them from this site: Quality LED - modsthatglow.com

You'll need at least 36 to do that mod. :yesway:
Cheers, I'll investigate. I'm going to have to have it open soon, the high gain input jack is wobbly. The low gain one is perfect (probably never been used :lol: ) so I'll just swap them over.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure. I've seen a couple pics online where the logo looks silver like it doesn't, but it's prolly just not on.

Man I wish I had $300 to grab the one that's for sale in my area!

Nice setup man, the Ultra Plus was the precursor to the XXX correct?
When I had my 5150's, I used to hang out at FJA's boards. When I asked him about the Ultra's, he said it sounded closest to 5150's. I've read elsewhere (can't remember where) that it was the precursor (Peavey forums maybe?)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly I'm not sure. I've seen a couple pics online where the logo looks silver like it doesn't, but it's prolly just not on.
The logo is a kinda frosted plastic that looks silver when it's not on.

When I had my 5150's, I used to hang out at FJA's boards. When I asked him about the Ultra's, he said it sounded closest to 5150's. I've read elsewhere (can't remember where) that it was the precursor (Peavey forums maybe?)
The reason I wanted one of these is I can't afford a 5150 and this is the closest I've found to one. We had one in when I worked in a guitar store 2 years ago and we managed to dial it in to sound very 5150-ish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.